Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT - Trailer Tires - Sumitomo ST727

Old 12-02-2013, 08:41 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default OT - Trailer Tires - Sumitomo ST727

I'm interested in these, in the 215/17.5 size, for the healthy bump in load capacity over my GY G614 16" tires.
Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:57 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Can't comment on those tires in particular. Be sure to get at least a "D" rating on the tire or even an "E" if available. If you are looking to dramatically increase the carrying capacity of the trailer, the standard "C" light duty trailer ratings are not going to cut it.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:53 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Thanks - The Goodyears I have are "G" rated (3750lbs) and I'm looking to go to a commercial trailer tire (~4700lbs per tire).
Old 12-03-2013, 01:57 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Thanks - The Goodyears I have are "G" rated (3750lbs) and I'm looking to go to a commercial trailer tire (~4700lbs per tire).
I would be more concerned about the speed rating assuming the load rating is adequate. Most trailer tires are only rated for 55mph which is why many blow out on the highway.
Especially these guys that blow by you towing at 80+mph
Old 12-03-2013, 02:19 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

The Sumis and the GY (G114) are both rated to 75mph. The Goodyears are another $200 per tire. Seems crazy.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by geerookie
I would be more concerned about the speed rating assuming the load rating is adequate. Most trailer tires are only rated for 55mph which is why many blow out on the highway.
Especially these guys that blow by you towing at 80+mph
OOPS Happened to me at the PA/NY border, $350 for a tire because I forgot a spare at home.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

1st of all...not OT in this section

I carry two spare with me b/c trailer tires suck. ST tires are rated for 65 MPH...here are some things to considered regarding trailer tires.

Trailer Tire Applications
•Trailer tires are designed for use on trailer axle positions only. They are not built to handle the loads applied to, or the traction required by, drive or steering axles.

Inflation
•Always inflate trailer tires to the maximum inflation indicated on the sidewall.
•Check inflation when the tires are cool and have not been exposed to the sun.
•If the tires are hot to the touch from operation, add three psi to the max inflation.
Underinflation is the number one cause of trailer tire failure.

Load Carrying Capacity
•All tires must be identical in size for the tires to properly manage the weight of the trailer.
•The combined capacity of the tires must equal or exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of the axle.
•The combined capacity of all of the tires should exceed the loaded trailer weight by 20 percent.
•If the actual weight is not available, use the trailer GVW. If a tire fails on a tandem axle trailer, you should replace both tires on that side. The remaining tire is likely to have been subjected to excessive loading.
•If the tires are replaced with tires of larger diameter, the tongue height may need to be adjusted to maintain proper weight distribution.

Speed
•All "ST" tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph.
•As heat builds up, the tire's structure starts to disintegrate and weaken.
•The load carrying capacity gradually decreases as the heat and stresses generated by higher speed increases.

Time
•Time and the elements weaken a trailer tire.
•In approximately three years, roughly one-third of the tire's strength is gone.
•Three to five years is the projected life of a normal trailer tire.
•It is suggested that trailer tires be replaced after three to four years of service regardless of tread depth or tire appearance.

Mileage
•Trailer tires are not designed to wear out.
•The life of a trailer tire is limited by time and duty cycles.
•The mileage expectation of a trailer tire is 5,000 to 12,000 miles.

Why Use An "ST" Tire
•"ST" tires feature materials and construction to meet the higher load requirements and demands of trailering.
•The polyester cords are bigger than they would be for a comparable "P" or "LT" tire.
•The steel cords have a larger diameter and greater tensile strength to meet the additional load requirements.
•"ST" tire rubber compounds contain more chemicals to resist weather and ozone cracking.

Storage
•The ideal storage for trailer tires is in a cool, dark garage at maximum inflation.
•Use tire covers to protect the tires from direct sunlight.
•Use thin plywood sections between the tire and the pavement.
•For long term storage, put the trailer on blocks to take the weight off the tires. Then lower the air pressure and cover the tires to protect them from direct sunlight.

Maintenance
•Clean the tires using mild soap and water.
•Do not use tire-care products containing alcohol or petroleum distillates.
•Inspect the tires for any cuts, snags, bulges or punctures.
•Check the inflation before towing and again before the return trip.

Keys to Avoiding Trouble
•Make sure your rig is equipped with the proper tires.
•Maintain the tires meticulously.
•Replace trailer tires every three to five years, whether they look like they're worn out or not.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:49 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

I am not sure if these are indeed "ST" class tires. Might just be in the name.
They are considered "medium truck" tires by Sumi, load rating H, 16 ply, max speed is 75mph.
Here is the link: http://www.sumitomotire.com/commerci.../st/st727.aspx
Old 12-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Great information. Are there special requirements for tires on the tow vehicle? I just purchased my first trailer and have a lot to learn. The tires on my tow vehicle look fine, but are about five years old... i am thinking that i should replace them.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:35 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

I have read that you should replace tires every five years even if the tread is fine.
The tire requirements depend on the load and what is available in the available for your application (taking into account tire, wheel and hub size).
Old 12-05-2013, 10:01 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Learned a lot from this thread. First point, I need to stop driving 70+ mph. Can't say it was often, but on some of those long trips surrounded by trucks, I was still the slow guy.

Replace at 10 k miles? That is about every year for me. Ugh
Old 12-05-2013, 10:06 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

I'd add to this list that people should consider getting a TPMS system. I have a Truck System Technologies setup. Worked well on a long (43') trailer. Kind of want one for my race car now.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:46 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

When did you get so smart

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
1st of all...not OT in this section

I carry two spare with me b/c trailer tires suck. ST tires are rated for 65 MPH...here are some things to considered regarding trailer tires.

Trailer Tire Applications
•Trailer tires are designed for use on trailer axle positions only. They are not built to handle the loads applied to, or the traction required by, drive or steering axles.

Inflation
•Always inflate trailer tires to the maximum inflation indicated on the sidewall.
•Check inflation when the tires are cool and have not been exposed to the sun.
•If the tires are hot to the touch from operation, add three psi to the max inflation.
Underinflation is the number one cause of trailer tire failure.

Load Carrying Capacity
•All tires must be identical in size for the tires to properly manage the weight of the trailer.
•The combined capacity of the tires must equal or exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of the axle.
•The combined capacity of all of the tires should exceed the loaded trailer weight by 20 percent.
•If the actual weight is not available, use the trailer GVW. If a tire fails on a tandem axle trailer, you should replace both tires on that side. The remaining tire is likely to have been subjected to excessive loading.
•If the tires are replaced with tires of larger diameter, the tongue height may need to be adjusted to maintain proper weight distribution.

Speed
•All "ST" tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph.
•As heat builds up, the tire's structure starts to disintegrate and weaken.
•The load carrying capacity gradually decreases as the heat and stresses generated by higher speed increases.

Time
•Time and the elements weaken a trailer tire.
•In approximately three years, roughly one-third of the tire's strength is gone.
•Three to five years is the projected life of a normal trailer tire.
•It is suggested that trailer tires be replaced after three to four years of service regardless of tread depth or tire appearance.

Mileage
•Trailer tires are not designed to wear out.
•The life of a trailer tire is limited by time and duty cycles.
•The mileage expectation of a trailer tire is 5,000 to 12,000 miles.

Why Use An "ST" Tire
•"ST" tires feature materials and construction to meet the higher load requirements and demands of trailering.
•The polyester cords are bigger than they would be for a comparable "P" or "LT" tire.
•The steel cords have a larger diameter and greater tensile strength to meet the additional load requirements.
•"ST" tire rubber compounds contain more chemicals to resist weather and ozone cracking.

Storage
•The ideal storage for trailer tires is in a cool, dark garage at maximum inflation.
•Use tire covers to protect the tires from direct sunlight.
•Use thin plywood sections between the tire and the pavement.
•For long term storage, put the trailer on blocks to take the weight off the tires. Then lower the air pressure and cover the tires to protect them from direct sunlight.

Maintenance
•Clean the tires using mild soap and water.
•Do not use tire-care products containing alcohol or petroleum distillates.
•Inspect the tires for any cuts, snags, bulges or punctures.
•Check the inflation before towing and again before the return trip.

Keys to Avoiding Trouble
•Make sure your rig is equipped with the proper tires.
•Maintain the tires meticulously.
•Replace trailer tires every three to five years, whether they look like they're worn out or not.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Feffman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

After getting caught out with a flat north of Atlanta last year, I've budgeted to replace all four trailer tires after two years. I don't care what brand of trailer tire you run on, the sun, weather and lack of use dry rot them quickly. Call it a peace of mind expense.

Feff
Old 12-10-2013, 04:27 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worth repeating:

•Underinflation is the number one cause of trailer tire failure.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:10 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by autoxer6
Worth repeating:

•Underinflation is the number one cause of trailer tire failure.
Wish I knew this before I trashed my first set of trailer tires. This thread will be a good resource for when someone searches in the future.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:19 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

I guess I must be different. For the drive from upstate NY to the Charlotte area I decided to change my trailer tires. The old ones were close to 10 years old and one of them was below 2/32 of tread. The spare which I had been using on the trailer for 2 or 3 years was well over 10 years old (replaced a worn out tire). They all seemed to be in good shape except for the one with no tread. Maybe keeping the trailer in a shed most of the time helped keep the environmental damage down. The only time it saw daylight was when I went to track or autocross events.

The new tires were all radials and they seemed to make it easier to pull the trailer and they seemed to do well on the trip. Speeds on the road were the in the 65 range most of the time with some bursts to 70+. Checked tires at each rest stop and they were all running cool to the touch. At the new home the trailer will be stored outside in the sun so I have purchased tire protectors for all 5 tires.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To OT - Trailer Tires - Sumitomo ST727

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OT - Trailer Tires - Sumitomo ST727