Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear leaf spring bolt broke off on my 94 C4 , now repaired

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 06:10 PM
Kinkajou
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Rear leaf spring bolt broke off on my 94 C4 , now repaired

So the parts arrived today and I could not resist installing them.

As some know a couple of weeks ago, a bolt broke off at the rear spring leaf because of a speed bump.
I installed the bolt ( used, got it at Ebay) but this time I put the bolt upside down.
I saw somewhere a bolt installed this way and thought it was a good idea because with the conventional way of installing the bolt, the threaded part and the castle nut will be more exposed to speed bumps.

When upside down, the threaded part with the castle nut will protude up and the hexagonal head of the bolt that is quite small will be all that is exposed.

The city is filled up with big speed bumps and even if you drive slowly you will drag some lower car part eventually. That was the problem in the first place.

So what do you think! Is it a good or a terrible idea to put it this way.
When installed with the bolt head up the reamining broken bolt was just hanging , but I imagine that the way it is installed now if it breaks every broken part will fly off.

Here are some pictures of the procedure so it can help someone eventually.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:47 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

You now have it the correct recommended orientation so far as I know. It was probably "up side down" before.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:15 AM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Installing the bolt with the threads on top is genius! I will be changing mine the next time I have them off (real soon as I have a new rear end to install) Your install looks good to me, Corvettes do not like "speed bumps"

Get notified of new replies

To Rear leaf spring bolt broke off on my 94 C4 , now repaired

Quick Reply: Rear leaf spring bolt broke off on my 94 C4 , now repaired