Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Autocross Bug

Old 12-09-2013, 01:26 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default The Autocross Bug

You know you've been bitten by the Autocross Bug hard when you open your center console and it looks like this:

Old 12-09-2013, 01:36 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Yep.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are killin me ...
You might have the bug when there is a trailer , stacks of trashed wheel bearings , rotors , pads , one or two sets of wheels ,and a console filled with credit card receipts .

Last edited by Rob31; 12-09-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:02 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rob31
You might have the bug when there is a trailer , stacks of trashed wheel bearings , rotors , pads , one or two sets of wheels ,and a console filled with credit card receipts .
I'm not quite there yet....but I have been pricing that second set of wheels!
Old 12-09-2013, 11:05 PM
CONE RACER
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob31

Yep..... What he said.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:55 AM
vette6500
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, did you get new tires yet? You chunked your set pretty bad...
See you out there in 2014!
There's a speed ventures event 01/11, if you can't quite wait the extra week til 01/18
Old 12-10-2013, 10:35 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vette6500
LOL, did you get new tires yet? You chunked your set pretty bad...
See you out there in 2014!
There's a speed ventures event 01/11, if you can't quite wait the extra week til 01/18
Planning on tires, brakes and alignment over the December break. Probably going with the Pilot Super Sports (and get a patch kit in the car). Haven't decided on the brakes yet. PM'd a forum vendor and he recommended Carbotech, but I've read that the OEMs are supposed to be good too....another decision I'll have to make with my limited "newbie" knowledge.

The event on the 11th might work if I can get the other stuff done in time.....this is a busy time for me both at home and work, so we'll see how the schedule works out. It's going to be a long stretch till January without taking a few cones out!
Old 12-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I will be happy to help you with brake pads, take a look at the Carbotech AX6 or we have some other options let me know.

The AX6™ is specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range of 50°F to 1100°F + (10°C to 593°C+). The advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial bite, high coefficient of friction at lower temperatures along with very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. AX6™ offers high fade resistance, rotor friendliness at all temperatures and excellent cold stopping power. As a result, AX6™ is an excellent choice for Autocross and has gained tremendous popularity with SCCA Prosolo/Solo2 competitors for its outstanding all around performance. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech™ doesn't recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT recommended as race compounds in most applications.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 12-10-2013, 12:57 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
I will be happy to help you with brake pads, take a look at the Carbotech AX6 or we have some other options let me know.

The AX6™ is specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range of 50°F to 1100°F + (10°C to 593°C+). The advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial bite, high coefficient of friction at lower temperatures along with very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. AX6™ offers high fade resistance, rotor friendliness at all temperatures and excellent cold stopping power. As a result, AX6™ is an excellent choice for Autocross and has gained tremendous popularity with SCCA Prosolo/Solo2 competitors for its outstanding all around performance. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech™ doesn't recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT recommended as race compounds in most applications.
I don't really care about the noise (my GS pretty much always sounds like a truck), but I am curious about the dust level for my daily driver. Are we talking similar to OEM, or just a little more....or are we talking a lot more? Not that dust is a big issue (the OEMs are pretty darn dusty on their own).....but just to give me an idea what to expect.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:57 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Lol
Old 12-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
I don't really care about the noise (my GS pretty much always sounds like a truck), but I am curious about the dust level for my daily driver. Are we talking similar to OEM, or just a little more....or are we talking a lot more? Not that dust is a big issue (the OEMs are pretty darn dusty on their own).....but just to give me an idea what to expect.
what is the daily driver?
Old 12-10-2013, 02:59 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
what is the daily driver?
My 2011 Grand Sport....it's my daily driver and my weekend autocross car. I'm looking to have it perform a bit better on the autocross course (because I get my a$$ whooped every time out), but it's still my DD. Noise and a bit of dust are OK as long as it's the "sound of performance" type of thing. Since I've been using the ArmorAll Wheel Protection spray, the OEM dust has been tolerable.....hence my question....those AX pads...are they in that same dust range?
Old 12-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
My 2011 Grand Sport....it's my daily driver and my weekend autocross car. I'm looking to have it perform a bit better on the autocross course (because I get my a$$ whooped every time out), but it's still my DD. Noise and a bit of dust are OK as long as it's the "sound of performance" type of thing. Since I've been using the ArmorAll Wheel Protection spray, the OEM dust has been tolerable.....hence my question....those AX pads...are they in that same dust range?
Yes, maybe less because that factory pad is horrible. So, I would run the AX6 up front and the 1521 compound in the back this will cut your noise a little and also give you almost a 75% dust reduction in the rear. One side note is our brake dust is a 100% non corrosive so it will not harm your wheels or paint. I also recommend using the 1 piece pad not the pad lets. You can call me direct at 216-780-8825 to order if you are interested. Pricing is below.

AX6 $289.75 1521 $233.70
Old 12-12-2013, 11:34 AM
jamesNewman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I sold my FRC, I cleaned out about 20 or so post-it's from the truck area.

Get notified of new replies

To The Autocross Bug

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Autocross Bug