Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire question ...

Old 12-12-2013, 12:52 AM
SCEMO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tire question ...

Has any of you run 305/35-18 slicks (V710) on the front of your Z06?

I purchased these tires last year for my ZR1 and I was getting some rubbing in turn 2 of the roval at Cal Speedway (heavy downforce on right tire). I don't think the tire was rubbing anywhere else on track.

I have an event this weekend and need a backup set of fronts and thought I may be able to use these?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

That size will cause some rubbing at the top of the gurney flap at the front of each front wheel well. It won't rub unless you are cornering hard and depressing the spring on that side. Other than that the only other issues you have to worry about are the ones you would worry about no matter the size or make of the tire. One issue you can get into is that size has a large diameter and depending on the size tire mounted on the rear you can have the front diameter larger than the rear diameter (R888s w front 305/35/18 and rear 335/30/18s are that way). That will cause an almost instant triggering of TC from the time you let the clutch out in low gear. You definitely will not forget to turn off TC since it won't let you leave the paddock.

Bill
Old 12-13-2013, 02:21 AM
SCEMO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
That size will cause some rubbing at the top of the gurney flap at the front of each front wheel well. It won't rub unless you are cornering hard and depressing the spring on that side. Other than that the only other issues you have to worry about are the ones you would worry about no matter the size or make of the tire. One issue you can get into is that size has a large diameter and depending on the size tire mounted on the rear you can have the front diameter larger than the rear diameter (R888s w front 305/35/18 and rear 335/30/18s are that way). That will cause an almost instant triggering of TC from the time you let the clutch out in low gear. You definitely will not forget to turn off TC since it won't let you leave the paddock.

Bill
Sorry! I meant 315/35-18!

This is great info ... thanks so much. When I did run these tires (315/35, 345/35) the car felt fine ... no issues with TC. That roval can be tricky if tires are off in anyway. It looked like a john force burnout coming out of my front right. Scared me to DEATH!

I think I will give it a shot and see if they work. Otherwise I need to get rid of them. No need to let good tires go to waste! They have two sessions on them ... I am sure someone could use them.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire question ...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire question ...