Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG Motorsports Trans/Diff Coolers

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 02:24 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Default LG Motorsports Trans/Diff Coolers

Hey guys,

Transmission and Differential high temps....this has been a long standing issue with most late model Corvette's and a solution we have had for years. However you might not know all of the options and features that it can do.

Our kit, unlike most of the others, is completely mechanical and does not rely on any electrical pumps, wires, or connections to go wrong or extra weight to be added (not to mention it is quiet).

The kit can be had a number of ways, including the full dual stage kit as shown in the picture above to do both trans and diff, but can also be had as a single stage for diff only units for those with built in trans pumps (or in the case of an auto). The main components such as the drive assembly, cover plate, and pump can also be purchase for those doing custom installs or want to run their own lines and coolers.

Drive Assembly

This is the main part of it right here and what drives the pump. Our pinion nut and drive adapter. This bolts the pump directly to the pinion gear and makes sure you are moving fluid as soon as the car starts rolling. No making sure you have turned on the pump before hitting the track, no more having to worry if a fuse blows or a pump fails....if you are moving, its pumping!

Pump and Cover plate

This billet aluminum cover plate replaces your stock cover plate and serves to hold the pump (two stage shown) in place. The pump is held on with four allen screws and is sealed via o-ring for the drive shaft going into the above drive flange. The entire assembly is very lightweight and even with lines is close the the weight of one single Tilton electric pump that is commonly used with other setups. Dual stage pumps such as the one shown here run the diff fluid through the front section, and the back section for the transmission fluid. Ask about single stage pumps for diff only operation.

Filters

We include two catch all filters at the pick up side of both the trans and diff. These help protect the pump and coolers from any large debris that might be the result of damage to a gear or internal part from either unit. These filters can be easily taken apart and checked with little work.

Cooler and Lines

Coolers can be located in a number of different locations on the cars. Most common location is in front of the rear tires. Many will use the C5Z rear brake cooling ducts to run air through the coolers and you can also open up the wheel well side with a little screen to allow flow through without any risk of rocks or debris from the tires. Lines are ran on the inside of the frame for a clean install.

Our kits have shown to provide over a 50 degree drop in fluid temps in both the trans and differentials. This is critical in both operation and life of your drivetrain of your Corvette during race or HPDE weekend events. This means longer bearing life, longer gear life, longer service intervals between fluid changes.

These same setups have proven wins in our own race cars, a number of other World Challenge cars including the Wheelen cars as well as NASA and regional racers such as Danny Popp's RAFT racers!

Please feel free to hit me up with any questions you might have.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Paul Schmidt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the best system on the market. I'm running a Setrab 13 and 16 row cooler that vents out the rear license plate. My research has told me to remember the differential and then the transmission when it comes to hooking up the pump.

I'm still piecing my system together. Looks like this.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:25 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt
This is the best system on the market. I'm running a Setrab 13 and 16 row cooler that vents out the rear license plate. My research has told me to remember the differential and then the transmission when it comes to hooking up the pump.

I'm still piecing my system together. Looks like this.

Paul,
Would like to see your setup, I'm up in Mill Creek with a 12GS that's principally a DD and love to do hpde events with PCS. I have an A-6 so no diff cooler and looking for solutions. Drove the Ridge this year, the trans really gets heated up even with a DeWitts with EOC/TOC so I'm thinking a differential cooler may be the answer - or at least partial answer.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:23 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I would love to just get whatever is needed for the tranny cooler to add to a c6z. I am taking out the lines and radiator cooler and just want a small one in the back in front of the tire. Not sure what that entails.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:28 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Unreal
I would love to just get whatever is needed for the tranny cooler to add to a c6z. I am taking out the lines and radiator cooler and just want a small one in the back in front of the tire. Not sure what that entails.
That takes a little different setup, as the car already has the pumps built into it. The cooler in the radiator for the trans however isn't the biggest issue on those.

See your PM's.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:10 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm running this diff/trans cooler system. It's very high quality and effective.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:35 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Is there any noise from the pump? For someone running a street/track car on the street, would there be any issue with the fluid always going through the coolers?
Old 12-30-2013, 10:03 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

What does the base one stage pump cost. No lines or cooler.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:24 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
Is there any noise from the pump? For someone running a street/track car on the street, would there be any issue with the fluid always going through the coolers?
No noise. You probably won't have any issues running coolers all the time, but in the winter you could always tape off the air flow to the coolers.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:27 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Scooter70
OEM quiet and it makes no noise at all, hot or cold.

I do not see any issues running it through the coolers all of the time even during winter months but if it was a concern you could always block off the inlets for the coolers.

Get notified of new replies

To LG Motorsports Trans/Diff Coolers

Quick Reply: LG Motorsports Trans/Diff Coolers