Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uscc

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 07:06 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Default Uscc

They haven't even run one race and it seems the conspiracy theorists are already out:

Make no mistake, there are plenty of positive developments about the new TUDOR United SportsCar Championship, with the unified schedule being one of the most visible positives. But let me be very clear here and there's no need to sugarcoat it: It's obvious that the "performance balancing" that went down since the merger was announced has been executed with the thought that the Daytona Prototypes will be faster than the former ALMS P2 cars. I would go so far as to say it has been preordained by Jim France, because it was so obvious as to be almost laughable. I mean, we all get it, don't we? Jim France wrote a $20 million check (or thereabouts) for the ALMS, Road Atlanta, the rights to Sebring (and other prizes), and anyone who thought that the P2 cars would stand a chance after the "balancing" took place was kidding themselves.

If I had just invested serious cash in a P2 team - and believe me at this level it's all serious cash - I wouldn't be just pissed-off, however, I would be stark-raving livid. And I would be permanently camped on Jim France's doorstep demanding substantive and serious action right now. For the sake of the integrity of this new TUDOR United SportsCar Championship series - and the integrity of the sport of road racing in this country itself - this situation must be rectified, preferably before the Rolex 24 and definitely before the 12 Hours of Sebring in March, or it will be the biggest travesty in this young new racing year.
AutoExtremist.com
Old 01-10-2014, 07:40 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

They are very different animals, you can stand trackside and visually tell that the P2 cars brake later and get through the bus stop quicker. The closed cockpit DP's are pretty fast on the oval with the new motor. Not sure Daytona will be a good track to measure the balance of performance between the two. It'll get more interesting on high speed, high downforce road courses
Old 01-10-2014, 11:31 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by drivinhard
They are very different animals, you can stand trackside and visually tell that the P2 cars brake later and get through the bus stop quicker. The closed cockpit DP's are pretty fast on the oval with the new motor. Not sure Daytona will be a good track to measure the balance of performance between the two. It'll get more interesting on high speed, high downforce road courses
Horses for courses. I think it'll be interesting to see how that all works out. They can always tweak wing width or air inlet size as the season goes along. I don't think things are nearly as dire as the writer claims.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:43 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with the above...and...what are the alternatives for the P2 teams??? They are lucky t0 have a place to play on this continent.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:55 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

I thought it was interesting to see that Nissan and Mazda chose the P2 chassis instead of the DP. With the resources they have, they could've chosen almost any car or team for their motors.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:27 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Nissan has lots of experience racing P2s. Not sure why Mazda/Speedsource would take that route.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:12 AM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Well at least I have another websight with some good intel.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:30 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
I thought it was interesting to see that Nissan and Mazda chose the P2 chassis instead of the DP. With the resources they have, they could've chosen almost any car or team for their motors.
The Lola chassis Mazda is using is much lighter than a DP chassis, and Mazda is already well behind the 8 ball coming up with enough power to make the Lola chassis fast.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:00 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a good write up on Jalopnik if I remember correctly about IMSA having both DP and P2 teams testing different inlet restrictions and other measures during The Roar to help adjust regulations before Daytona for just this very reason. They know they have a gap to close. And don't let the outright speed fool you - there is a substantial difference in fuel mileage between DP and P2 which has a strategic affect.

Get notified of new replies

To Uscc

Quick Reply: Uscc