Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier Racing Tire named Official Tire of the Trans Am Series

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 03:58 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Hoosier Racing Tire named Official Tire of the Trans Am Series

Hoosier Racing Tire named Official Tire of the Trans Am Series

http://www.gotransam.com/latest-news...s-am-seri.html

When the Trans Am Series takes to the track on March 2nd at Sebring International Raceway to begin the 2014 Trans Am Championship, it will do so with every car sporting a set of Hoosier Racing tires.

The Trans Am Race Company has announced a partnership that will see Hoosier Racing Tire designated as the spec tire manufacturer during the upcoming 2014 Trans Am Championship for all three Trans Am classes: TA, TA2 and TA3.

“In Hoosier Racing Tire we have a partner who has proven themselves time and time again in the racing world,” said John Clagett, President of the Trans Am Race Company. “When we began this process we wanted more than just a tire supplier, we wanted a partner with an eye to the future. I’m confident that Hoosier Racing Tire is that partner, and I look forward to working with them as we continue to grow the Trans Am Series.”

The effort will feature a dedicated research and development program, including a brand new TA class tire for road courses, a more robust TA class tire for speedway styled road courses like Daytona International Speedway and Homestead-Miami Speedway (both of which Trans Am visits in 2014) as well as molded rain tires for the TA class.

The deal was finalized after testing at Sebring International Raceway was completed by Tony Ave, of the Trans Am Race Company and two-time Trans Am Champion.

“I was very impressed by what Hoosier brought to the table,” said Ave. “They came with five different tires for us to work with, and we were able to narrow it down to two and then one. I’m pleased and impressed with the tires we settled on and excited to see what they can do in the coming year—they’re consistent, durable and above all, performed exceptionally well. Also, the good news for our current drivers and teams is, while there will be tweaks and changes like any other time you switch tires, your current setup is a great place to start.”

“We’re very excited about our partnership with Trans Am,” said Dennis Sherman, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Hoosier. “We’ve made incredible progress over the last 30 days, culminating in a great test session of the TA class tire at Sebring. We anticipate a quick optimization process for cars, drivers and teams as they adjust their setups to our new tire. ”

TA2 and TA3 will also feature Hoosier Racing tires in the coming season, as Hoosier previously provided tires for the TA2 class exclusively in 2013—a partnership that resulted in multiple track records and even an outright Trans Am victory with Hoosier rain tires under the #98 Wheels America/ Fix Rim Chevrolet Camaro of Bob Stretch at a waterlogged Lime Rock Park early on in the season.

Jim Derhaag, of the Trans Am Race Company, pointed to the eagerness and dedication of Hoosier to the Series.

“Not only has Hoosier built a competitive tire for the TA class, but they’ve committed to helping develop a tire specific for when we visit speedway style road courses allowing Trans Am to put on a proper show in 2014 at great tracks like Daytona and Homestead-Miami,” said Derhaag. “From the plant to the track, Hoosier has demonstrated their ability to deliver a difference making product for the TA class that delivers great performance with incredible consistency. With that knowledge in hand and their dedication to the TA2 class last year, establishing a partnership with Hoosier became an easy decision.”

For more on the Trans Am Series visit www.gotransam.com. More on Hoosier Racing Tire may be found at www.hoosiertire.com.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:15 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

cheap scrubs for us?
Old 01-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Doesn't TA run 16" wheels?
Old 01-10-2014, 06:07 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
Doesn't TA run 16" wheels?
They have been running 14" wide 16's
Old 01-10-2014, 06:22 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought the TA cars were going to 18" steamrollers?
Old 01-10-2014, 06:59 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Somebody enlighten me how a spec tire does any good for the racers?

As far as I'm concerned it only kills off competition and raises prices for the racers while lining the pockets of the race coordinator.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:41 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spec tires generally save money because you don't have to test any other tires.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:47 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

16" wheels would not seem to leave much room for decent brake calipers/rotors. Can anyone fill me in on the brake system?
Old 01-10-2014, 09:54 PM
jwebsta32
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NASCAR does it on 15" wheels, cant imagine the 16" wouldn't accommodate a solid set of brakes.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:31 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

No 18" wheels for this year, maybe 2015.

Brakes seem to work fine, especially considering the speeds we are seeing.

A spec tire works for us, and yes, I am sure Hoosier is helping the series. But not one of the series owners is getting their pickets lined. In fact, probably the opposite.

Regardless, I am glad as hell that the Trans Am Series exists, I should have done this three years ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Hoosier Racing Tire named Official Tire of the Trans Am Series

Quick Reply: Hoosier Racing Tire named Official Tire of the Trans Am Series