Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Season HPDE Tire Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 10:28 AM
ls1torq
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Season HPDE Tire Advice

Looking for tire recommendation for my FIRST season of HPDE (Thinking BFG Rival or Nitto NT-05).

I'm simply looking to have a fun, reliable setup that will support me while I learn to drive.

The Car: 98 Z/28
-Wheels are C5 Z06 18"x10.5" square setup
-Full Weight
-Bolt-Ons, 3.90 gear
-Strano Springs/Koni SA and dbl rod panhard bar
-Eradispeed Rotors with Hawk HT10 (front) and HP+ (Rear) pads

Tracks: (See link for AZ and Chuckwalla Tracks)
http://proautosports.com/tracks.html

I'm considering BFG Rivals in either 295/35 or 315/30. Which size would be recommended and why (grip, responsiveness, heat management, sidewall ride/flex)?

THANK YOU!
Old 01-26-2014, 11:35 AM
giantkeeper
Instructor

Originally Posted by ls1torq
Looking for tire recommendation for my FIRST season of HPDE (Thinking BFG Rival or Nitto NT-05).

I'm simply looking to have a fun, reliable setup that will support me while I learn to drive.

The Car: 98 Z/28
-Wheels are C5 Z06 18"x10.5" square setup
-Full Weight
-Bolt-Ons, 3.90 gear
-Strano Springs/Koni SA and dbl rod panhard bar
-Eradispeed Rotors with Hawk HT10 (front) and HP+ (Rear) pads

Tracks: (See link for AZ and Chuckwalla Tracks)
http://proautosports.com/tracks.html

I'm considering BFG Rivals in either 295/35 or 315/30. Which size would be recommended and why (grip, responsiveness, heat management, sidewall ride/flex)?

THANK YOU!
I run the NT05 on my SC'd C5 Z06. They performed very well on WHP East a few weekends back. Since I daily drive my car I went with 295's on the 10.5 wheels. I found I had to continuously drop the air pressures as I wasn't utilizing the entire tire. I think I ended up at roughly 23-25 psi cold. For my driving that was coming up to 30-32 hot.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:41 AM
ls1torq
Advanced

Thanks for the info! Also great to hear from a local! Seems like I can't go wrong with the NT-05's especially because I'm a newbie and they are $175 less than the BFG Rivals. BUT, I do really want to try the BFG's but thats probably due to the hype and its really not going to matter for my first season of HPDE.

BTW, I'm still looking for two OEM C5 Z06 rear wheels. Do you have some extras you'd like to sell, or know anyone who would?
Old 01-26-2014, 11:47 AM
giantkeeper
Instructor

Originally Posted by ls1torq
Thanks for the info! Also great to hear from a local! Seems like I can't go wrong with the NT-05's especially because I'm a newbie and they are $175 less than the BFG Rivals. BUT, I do really want to try the BFG's but thats probably due to the hype and its really not going to matter for my first season of HPDE.

BTW, I'm still looking for two OEM C5 Z06 rear wheels. Do you have some extras you'd like to sell, or know anyone who would?
I don't actually, but I could use two more as well
Old 01-26-2014, 12:29 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

I started doing HPDE's with the Nitto 05's and really liked them. The price is right and the grip is pretty good. The one thing I learned about them is as you get better(faster) they really talk to you. As you get closer to the edge with the Nt05, they get very loud. When I pushed them a little over the limit they started to slide slowly, giving me time to correct without losing total control of the car. The Nitto's also lasted long enough so that when they were done I was ready to move up to a R compound tire.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:32 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm a big fan of the Nitto NT555 RII. I ran them on a 2001 C5Z and loved them. They only come in two sizes, 285/35-18 or 305/35-18. Either would work on an 18 x 10.5.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:15 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Kumho XS . Take heat pretty good .
Old 01-26-2014, 01:39 PM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob31
Kumho XS . Take heat pretty good .
Kumho XSs like heat more than most (all) other dual-duty tires.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:56 PM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

I started out with stock tires (the old Firestone SZ50 runflats) on my 02 coupe for many years. I then ran F1 supercars off of my friends C5 Z06 for a couple years. I am now running Toyo R888's. If the weather looks really crappy/rainy for an event, I'll bring my street tires (Hankook V12's) and run them. I really don't see the need to go with track or DOT tires when first starting out. If you are pushing those kind of tires as a beginner, you are/will be in way over your head.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:33 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've only heard bad things about the Rivals concerning longevity. I'd skip them unless you're competing in a class that requires 200+ treadwear and just want the best grip possible regardless of cost.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by moose.b3
I started doing HPDE's with the Nitto 05's and really liked them. The price is right and the grip is pretty good. The one thing I learned about them is as you get better(faster) they really talk to you. As you get closer to the edge with the Nt05, they get very loud. When I pushed them a little over the limit they started to slide slowly, giving me time to correct without losing total control of the car. The Nitto's also lasted long enough so that when they were done I was ready to move up to a R compound tire.
The NT05s wear like iron. I got 26 track days, some street mileage and a bunch of autocrosses out of them before they heat cycled to the point there was no grip at all. They still had tread on them when I had to replace them.

On track they don't have as much cornering grip as the GY EMT, they get very greasy before the end of a session, squeal like stuck pigs and they stink like horse crap but they wear like iron.

On an autocross course they corner better than the GY EMT. I think that is because they grip better when cold and autocrossing is mostly about running on cold tires.

Bill
Old 01-26-2014, 05:02 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by moose.b3
I have NT05's on my '87 for track days and they work very well. It does take a couple laps to build some heat into them and once up to temp, they will squeal just before losing grip. If they get too hot, they do feel a little greasy. I just drop the speed a little until they cool down.

The only concern for me is that the NT05 doesn't really like rain. The NT05's are also my street tires and although I don't drive the '87 on the street that much, I will drop the speed on freeways by about 10 MPH.

I had used the older Kumho MX's before and they worked, but the NT05's are a lot better. Haven't tried the Kumho XS but the reviews seem to say it's an equal to the NT05
Old 01-26-2014, 06:12 PM
ls1torq
Advanced

My car is not my daily so rain is not a worry (im also in AZ)... Heat is an issue, i will be driving in 100 degree weather occasionally and my car is heavy (3700lbs race weight)
Old 01-26-2014, 07:40 PM
ls1torq
Advanced

Originally Posted by troyguitar
I've only heard bad things about the Rivals concerning longevity. I'd skip them unless you're competing in a class that requires 200+ treadwear and just want the best grip possible regardless of cost.
Could you elaborate more on the BFG Rival wear?
Old 01-26-2014, 11:10 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't care for my nt05's, for me they feel slippery when close to the limit and I don't remember them squealing as warning. I was really impressed with the kuhmo xs, but they don't make sizes I want. They are great on heavy cars and handle heat too
Old 01-27-2014, 09:45 AM
lefrog
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hungryhippo
I don't care for my nt05's, for me they feel slippery when close to the limit and I don't remember them squealing as warning.
You are probably running with way too much pressure in them. The NT05s run better in the low 30s hot which means you start them at 26 or below cold. With cold weather in New England I did start as low as 22 cold.
They get to temp pretty quickly but if you start them too high, they never get to temp and you will be all over the place.
They get very greasy in hot weather but are still ok if your HPDE sessions are in the 20 minutes range. They are very progressive, predictable and unbeatable in their price range.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:40 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

My experience with the NT-05s was not good. Grip level was slightly better than the Kumho XS' but they lasted less than 1/2 as long. They lost grip midway through the 7th day. Car was sliding all over. Braking and acceleration both were compromised. Must have been some sort of bad batch. My Kumhos lasted 15 days and I probably could have squeezed another 1 or 2 out of them. Both gave excellent feedback as the limit was approached.

Now I am on Michelin Super Sports. Only had them on for 1 day but they are as good as advertised. I am done experimenting with different tire manufacturers. To me, Michelins are the best so I will no longer short change myself on tires.

Get notified of new replies

To 1st Season HPDE Tire Advice

Old 01-27-2014, 02:53 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Since you asked, THIS is what I would recommend:

Hello from GT Racing Tires
Many of you already know me as Todd Z on the forum. I was working with another vendor but they have decided to do other advertising.

Greg Miller and myself sell race scrubs. We carry Pirelli, Hoosier, Michelin, Toyo and others. Our inventory often varies but we will almost always have tires in Corvette sizes. Our belief in what we sell is easy, If we wouldn't run it on our cars we won't sell it. Most everything we sell will have only one heat cycle and 75% or better rubber remaining.

If you need something we do not have. We will try and get it for you.

Most tires are $100.00 each or two sets for $700.00 plus shipping.

PM or call me at 414-350-6303. Greg's # 414-640-7218.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:07 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Since you asked, THIS is what I would recommend:

Hello from GT Racing Tires
Many of you already know me as Todd Z on the forum. I was working with another vendor but they have decided to do other advertising.

Greg Miller and myself sell race scrubs. We carry Pirelli, Hoosier, Michelin, Toyo and others. Our inventory often varies but we will almost always have tires in Corvette sizes. Our belief in what we sell is easy, If we wouldn't run it on our cars we won't sell it. Most everything we sell will have only one heat cycle and 75% or better rubber remaining.

If you need something we do not have. We will try and get it for you.

Most tires are $100.00 each or two sets for $700.00 plus shipping.

PM or call me at 414-350-6303. Greg's # 414-640-7218.
I want to do this but mounting and balancing is a problem. I can find only 1 local tire place that will mount tires that they did not sell and they charge like $150 and will only do it if the tires are brand new - so scrubs are out.

Where are people getting sets of scrubs mounted for $100?
Old 01-27-2014, 04:06 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by troyguitar
I want to do this but mounting and balancing is a problem. I can find only 1 local tire place that will mount tires that they did not sell and they charge like $150 and will only do it if the tires are brand new - so scrubs are out.

Where are people getting sets of scrubs mounted for $100?
Locally at Discount Tire, NTW, or at the track (MSR Cresson) for $10 to $15/tire (Don't bother balancinng slicks cause they rotate on the rim). Best of luck to ya at the track

Quick Reply: 1st Season HPDE Tire Advice