Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Rear Toe Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 05:44 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Default C7 Rear Toe Alignment

At the Rolex 24 last weekend they had a C7 chasis with no bodywork on it in the Corvette Hospitality Tent.

It was really a beautiful piece of work - the aluminum frame looked very

However, as I was looking at the rear suspension, initially I couldn't understand how they were doing the rear toe settings - I couldn't find a threaded rear toe "adjusting link" (tie-rod).

When first looking at it, I saw a rather large diameter rod behind the axle going from a knuckle on the rear of the hub support to the frame. At first it looked like it was not adjustable - but I figured there must be some way to adjust toe.

After getting down on the ground and looking back into the area where the rod met the frame, I could see that it had a cam bolt/eccentric type of adjuster with a bunch of radial lines that you can mark to indicate your current setting - just like the cam bolts for adjusting camber on the lower control arms.

So....I'm not sure why they would do that!?!?

I like the threaded tie-rod type toe adjuster, where you can really fine tune the toe with a specific number of turns of the tie-rod link.

This cam bolt type adjustment is a "try adjusting it a little and see what you get, loosen the bolt and adjust again - repeat until you get close to what you want".

With the threaded tie-rod link, I know pretty much exactly how many turns of the link are needed to adjust a certain amount.

Maybe it will be easier than I think, but I believe it's not going to be as easy to do a small precise adjustment as it is with the threaded tie-rod type link.

Oh well....I won't have to worry about until the C7 Z06 comes out anyway!!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 01-31-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:46 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Ever set the toe on the rear of a 1990's or earlier 911 torsion tube car?...cam eccentrics aren't that bad...
Old 02-01-2014, 12:18 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Actually I did have a '69 911S, but I just drove the heck out of it and never bothered with the suspension.

I started messing around with setup on my BMW, but it wasn't until I got my first Vette (a 2005 C6 9 years ago) that I started doing more serious alignment work for track prep.

The Vette is very easy to work on, and I guess I'm just used to the way it's so easy to get very accurate toe adjustments with the threaded tie-rod.

When I get my C7 Z06 I guess I'll just have to learn to work with the cam bolts! Glad to hear it may not be too bad.

Bob
Old 02-01-2014, 12:31 AM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

No question the Corvette is easier to work on...I completely agree on the threaded toe adjustments. Production line efficiencies don't translate well to DIY track alignments. Cam bolts are still better than many of the other options!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:43 PM
brucesallen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer wrong?

Yeah, on my C7 Z51but my dealer tech today said he couldn't get camber over stock without too much toe!! Is he wrong?
Old 05-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by brucesallen
Yeah, on my C7 Z51but my dealer tech today said he couldn't get camber over stock without too much toe!! Is he wrong?
It all depends on how far the toe bar /tie rod can be adjusted.

Bill
Old 05-05-2014, 11:27 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by brucesallen
I haven't looked at mine that closely but I would surely hope you could go to at least 2 degrees negative and have enough adjustment with the eccentrics to get the toe set back correctly...

Of course if not we can always go to these;

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Rear Toe Alignment

Quick Reply: C7 Rear Toe Alignment