Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Refinishing magnesium wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 09:05 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Default Refinishing magnesium wheels

I stumbled on a set of C-5 magnesium wheels at a local tire shop. They have what appears to be, a little "curb rash", but the owner is claiming the wheels were damaged by the shop, and is wanting them to replace the wheels. At this point, it looks like the tire shop (one of the large chain stores) may indeed replace the wheels with some other wheels, just to get the guy to go away.

I know the shop's manager pretty well, he knows I have a background in Corvettes, and was asking me what I knew about wheels for them. That's how I got involved. I asked him what they'd be doing with the wheels, if they and their insurance company decide to replace the wheels, as I might be interested in buying them. However, I want to know what I'd be getting into, before pulling the trigger, if it even becomes a possibility.

So, in short, are the "mag" wheels repairable, like an aluminum wheel would be?

TIA!
Old 02-02-2014, 11:19 AM
C4vettrn
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They can be welded no problem. As far as bending them back straight, I don't think they will bend to far without wanting to crack because they are brittle. I have a set on my 92 and they look cool. For the perfect stance you should lower the rear. I run 285's with a small spacer to keep them from rubbing slightly. Very light wheels.