Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

National Corvette Museum's forthcoming racetrack already has 118 events booked

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 05:40 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Default National Corvette Museum's forthcoming racetrack already has 118 events booked

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/31/n...sem-racetrack/

The four-year odyssey to build a motorsports park at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky, across from the Corvette assembly plant, is eight months away from completion. It was 2010 when the plan was announced to build a complex of two road courses totaling 3.1 miles, a kart track, a 10-acre autocross course and a quarter-mile drag strip on 184 acres of land next to I-65. An architect was hired in 2012, and the latest word is that workers will begin laying the road base in spring so that the $35 million facility opens in time for the museum's 20th anniversary in August this year.

Observers aren't waiting until August to pay attention, though. CNN has already put the facility at #17 on its 50 States, 50 Spots for 2014 list, and the park's blog says it already has 118 events booked. Having been told that this is a non-denominational racetrack - it is open to any cars, not just Corvettes - it's looking like a great start for more racing in the heartland.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:03 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I can't wait for the 10/10ths event Oct 11-12th. Looking at the list, there's quite a few forum members who will be there.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:44 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
I can't wait for the 10/10ths event Oct 11-12th. Looking at the list, there's quite a few forum members who will be there.
Sold out for October? Damn... guess I should have seen that coming.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:53 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

wow awesome i wonder if it will ever make it to host national races?
Old 02-02-2014, 01:08 AM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep ill be there for the 10/10ths event!
Old 02-02-2014, 10:15 AM
red1vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scooter70
I'm one of those lucky people going!!
Old 02-02-2014, 11:17 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm loving the "full course" on the track layout...

The "Max Straight" config is pretty awesome as well.

Too bad it's so far away from Texas...maybe they'll hold NCCC Convention there sometime soon!
Old 02-02-2014, 11:35 AM
z060ntrack
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously under priced to have that many events pre booked
Old 02-02-2014, 11:44 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Bill, at 10/10ths, has already lined up dates for 2015, too. If some of you have never been to a 10/10ths event you should try to get to one of the other events this year and see what the group is all about. Bill is really stoked on NCM MSP and expects to be there many times.

http://www.1010thsmotorsports.com/2014_Schedule.html
Old 02-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Chevy Nick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also signed up - looking forward to my first pilgrimage to the holy land.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:25 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the enthusiasm, and helping to spread the word.

Bill at 10/10ths is a great supporter and friend of the NCM Motorsports Park. And his events are top notch.

There are several organizations that have inquired about national events, and discussions are continuing. However, most of these groups plan a few years in advance, so it may be some time.

There are several NCM events scheduled at the MSP, and they will be announced within the next few weeks, and when registration will be opened. Stay tuned to the NCM and MSP web sites, because these events will also fill up quickly.

Regarding rates, we tried to establish rates that are in the range of other similar tracks. We want to be as affordable as possible. As expected, the week-end dates are filling up quickly. There are plenty of week days available, and the cost is much less.

I did not post aerials at the end of January because most of the work that has been done is underground utilities and such. The weather has not allowed for much dirt work. With that said, I will be posting new aerials and progress report at the end of February.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:17 PM
t.renz791
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks fantastic. I hope Chevy offers a 'performance delivery' option similar to that of the BMW M school in NC and the Porsche delivery center. It would give future owners the opportunity to build skill as well as learn capabilities of the machine that may not have otherwise.

The course map looks great, I would be interested in knowing if they are modeling portions of the track after classic road courses in the US (and abroad). It would be great if the course incorporated similar banking and elevation changes like Watkins Glen.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by t.renz791
The course map looks great, I would be interested in knowing if they are modeling portions of the track after classic road courses in the US (and abroad). It would be great if the course incorporated similar banking and elevation changes like Watkins Glen.
http://www.corvettemuseum.org/enews/...news022510.htm

Drivers will enjoy a carousel modeled after the Karussell corner at the Nurburgring, a chicane at the base of two track loops modeled off the Bus Stop from Watkins Glen, as well as an overall layout modeled after the world-famous Le Mans road course in France.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:04 PM
t.renz791
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Scooter!
Old 02-04-2014, 10:34 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Originally Posted by t.renz791
Looks fantastic. I hope Chevy offers a 'performance delivery' option similar to that of the BMW M school in NC and the Porsche delivery center. It would give future owners the opportunity to build skill as well as learn capabilities of the machine that may not have otherwise.

The above response is based upon an earlier version of the track layout. The current track configurations can be found at:

motorsportspark.org

Features of the track that were taken from the LeMans circuit include the Mulsanne straight, kink and curve. In addition, the Playstation Chicane and the Porsche Curves are included. Phase 2 will also include the Tetre Rouge segment.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:12 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Whats interesting is that it appears that those paid for the track are going to be very limited in using it, based up the article on the front page of the forum.

There should be some priority given to those that have donated any amount for creation of the park.

As a lifetime member of the museum, and long time financial donor to the museum, this is rubbing me the wrong way (and being one that never says anything negative about the Ncm in a public forum).

I hope they keep financial supporters in mind, so they continue to be financial supporters.

Last edited by RACE U; 02-07-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:47 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

at least give priority to Corvettes

Originally Posted by NVR2L8
The above response is based upon an earlier version of the track layout. The current track configurations can be found at:

motorsportspark.org

Features of the track that were taken from the LeMans circuit include the Mulsanne straight, kink and curve. In addition, the Playstation Chicane and the Porsche Curves are included. Phase 2 will also include the Tetre Rouge segment.

http://www.motorsportspark.org/track/

Get notified of new replies

To National Corvette Museum's forthcoming racetrack already has 118 events booked

Old 02-07-2014, 08:23 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Originally Posted by RACE U
Whats interesting is that it appears that those paid for the track are going to be very limited in using it, based up the article on the front page of the forum.

There should be some priority given to those that have donated any amount for creation of the park.

As a lifetime member of the museum, and long time financial donor to the museum, this is rubbing me the wrong way (and being one that never says anything negative about the Ncm in a public forum).

I hope they keep financial supporters in mind, so they continue to be financial supporters.
I am not sure what article you are referring to, and I would appreciate it if you would provide me with more information. Then I will provide you with an appropriate response.

I can assure you (and the Corvette community) the following:

1. The first "on track" event will be at the 20th anniversary of the museum, which will be Labor Day week-end. We are expecting close to 10,000 Corvettes to caravan to Bowling Green for the celebration, and the grand opening of the NCM Motorsports Park. Because of the crowd, the MSP will conduct "parade laps" for "Corvettes only",so everyone will get to see the track. The first people allowed on track will be the donors to the "One Acre Club", followed by Corvette Clubs.
2. The first driving event will again be "Corvettes only", with first registration priority given to One Acre Club members, followed by lifetime members of the museum.
3. It is anticipated that the NCM will conduct at least six HPDE events each year, with priority again provided to donors and members.
4. It is imperative that the museum offer track rental companies (such as 10/10ths, Chin Motorsports, etc.), car clubs (such as NASA, SCCA, BMW, PCA, etc) and motorcycle organizations (such as Sportbike, AMA, WERA, etc.)
5. In order for the MSP to be financially sound, outside revenue is necessary, but it is assured that there will be plenty of track time for everyone.
6. There are two circuits in Phase 1, and if demand exceeds supply, we have an additional 221 acres in Phase 2, which could easily accommodate 3-4 miles of additional track.

Good things are coming!
Old 02-07-2014, 09:15 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by RACE U

I am not sure how you are reading things. I understand that one can donate for tax purposes or give proceeds for track time. Your call. Personally, I donated for the tax break. Since I instruct, I hope to be on track quite often. The museum has always appreciated those that help the mission and are always recognizing individuals. The initial cost of the construction, although considerable, is only a part of the expense. The track will surely be an ongoing, dynamic entity that requires an ongoing influx of monies from organizations renting the facilities as are all tracks. No track of this magnitude can be self sustained by only a relatively few one time contributors. If you are unfamiliar with track operations, please give it awhile to see how it unfolds. I fully expect you to be pleased with the results.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:54 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by z060ntrack
Obviously under priced to have that many events pre booked
not really pretty much at the top of the mark for most events.

It's just a 1st time deal...won't be a 1st time next year.

I'll be there...had to register as soon as I heard about it.

Quick Reply: National Corvette Museum's forthcoming racetrack already has 118 events booked