Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thin Spacers - Any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 10:52 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Thin Spacers - Any recommendations?

My C6 Z06 needs a thin spacer to help my wheels clear the brake kit I'm upgrading to. The wheels are VERY close to fitting, but the spoke presses against the edge of the caliper as soon as it gets flush with the hub. I don't know for sure but I figure something as small as a 2mm spacer would do the trick.

I'd like to run the smallest spacer possible that can clear the brakes but since I'm not sure what, I'm hoping I can find an inexpensive source and just order a few different sizes. Probably 2mm, 3mm, and 5mm. I suppose a 1/8th and 1/4th could work too.

Don't want to spend big bucks on a 2mm to find out it doesn't work.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:57 AM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
My C6 Z06 needs a thin spacer to help my wheels clear the brake kit I'm upgrading to. The wheels are VERY close to fitting, but the spoke presses against the edge of the caliper as soon as it gets flush with the hub. I don't know for sure but I figure something as small as a 2mm spacer would do the trick.

I'd like to run the smallest spacer possible that can clear the brakes but since I'm not sure what, I'm hoping I can find an inexpensive source and just order a few different sizes. Probably 2mm, 3mm, and 5mm. I suppose a 1/8th and 1/4th could work too.

Don't want to spend big bucks on a 2mm to find out it doesn't work.

Check out H&R as they make some good spacers.

What brake kit are you putting on your car?
Old 02-02-2014, 01:43 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by skxf430
Check out H&R as they make some good spacers.

What brake kit are you putting on your car?
Thanks. Will check out H&R. They made a set of coilovers for my other car and I was happy with them.

ZR1/Z07 CCBs will be the brake setup. My new 18" Finspeeds track setup clears them ok, but the street wheel's spoke rubs against the caliper when flush against the hub.

EDIT: Just checked our H&R. They don't seem to make anything this thin. Lowest is 6mm, which may be OK, but would also like to try something thinner.

http://www.hrsprings.com/products/trak/

Last edited by Jawnathin; 02-02-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:33 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Interesting that the Finspeeds need more clearance. A number of guys were running Forgelines over CCB's without any clearance issues. I have Stoptech Trophys and my Forgelines have plenty of clearance.

How often will you be tracking your car? Just curious, as a number of Porsche and Vette guys have replaced their CCB's with steel rotors. And, the CCB calipers take (IIRC) a slightly narrower brake pad so they don't last quite as long and the choice of CCB pads are fairly limited. The consumables on a CCB setup is just a lot more expensive and not sure if the CCB's last as long with hard abuse from the track.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:17 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Interesting that the Finspeeds need more clearance. A number of guys were running Forgelines over CCB's without any clearance issues. I have Stoptech Trophys and my Forgelines have plenty of clearance.

How often will you be tracking your car? Just curious, as a number of Porsche and Vette guys have replaced their CCB's with steel rotors. And, the CCB calipers take (IIRC) a slightly narrower brake pad so they don't last quite as long and the choice of CCB pads are fairly limited. The consumables on a CCB setup is just a lot more expensive and not sure if the CCB's last as long with hard abuse from the track.
My Finspeeds (track wheels) have no issues with clearance even in 18" diameters. Plenty of room in terms of both diameter and spokes around the caliper. Here is a picture of my wheel on the front of a ZR1.

The issue is with my street wheels. The spoke just touches the CCB caliper when set flush against the hub. Just a tiny bit of space would make it OK.

Understand your thoughts on the CCBs. My goal was to have a true dual purpose car that required very little prep to switch between track use and street use. In my experience with my other car, I found that having to switch pads and rotors for each event made me less likely to go. The ZR1/Z07 CCBs were the only option I found that could do well at both using the same rotor and same pads. All other BBK options I found had me switching pads and/or rotors. The pads were either too aggressive for the street or not aggressive enough for the track. Nothing I found did both particularly well. I'm open to being corrected on this, but my path is already set as I've acquired most of the components to move forward with the CCB upgrade anyway.

I plan on doing about 5-6 events a year. Nothing too crazy. Based on the input from Werks on his Carbon Z, he got around 30 track days in the front and 45 in the rear. That is OK for me and means i'll have 5 years or so before I need to think about it. In a conversation I had with him that breaks out the expense, I'd actually be paying more for pads per track day than rotors in terms of wear. This was discussed in some detail within the Steel Rotor Ring conversion threadthat mikyu had posted in the Z06 sub forum.

Vette CCB rotors are far cheaper than the PCCB rotors. I can't say I'd do the same if I had to pay Porsche prices for rotors.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:53 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

ok, I did not realize you were using different sets of wheels. I too, only wanted a street/track setup. I never change my wheels, pads or rotors out as I am too lazy to do it.

I know I have preached this before, but the Endless ME20 pads are really a dual purpose street and track pad. They are excellent on the track with great bite, no fade and a firm pedal, and, they are quiet enough on the street. I get about 15 to 20 track days out of a the front pair of pads, and the rears are lasting almost twice as long. I like the Stoptech Trophys as the consumables are a bit less than the Brembos, and the pads are certainly easier to swap out since you don't have to remove the entire brake caliper. I think Mikymu might be using Endless pads as well, but as I mentioned the CCB's take a slightly narrower pad so they don't last quite a long as a traditional setup.

Anyway, you cannot go wrong with either the CCB or BBK.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:32 AM
0Luke@tirerack
Former Vendor

Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

www.optionsauto.com sells spacers
Old 02-04-2014, 11:12 AM
familyman's C7
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

They have 5mm spacers.

http://www.southerncarparts.com/corv...rs-p-3590.html
Old 02-04-2014, 04:38 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

ok, I did not realize you were using different sets of wheels. I too, only wanted a street/track setup. I never change my wheels, pads or rotors out as I am too lazy to do it.

I know I have preached this before, but the Endless ME20 pads are really a dual purpose street and track pad. They are excellent on the track with great bite, no fade and a firm pedal, and, they are quiet enough on the street. I get about 15 to 20 track days out of a the front pair of pads, and the rears are lasting almost twice as long. I like the Stoptech Trophys as the consumables are a bit less than the Brembos, and the pads are certainly easier to swap out since you don't have to remove the entire brake caliper. I think Mikymu might be using Endless pads as well, but as I mentioned the CCB's take a slightly narrower pad so they don't last quite a long as a traditional setup.

Anyway, you cannot go wrong with either the CCB or BBK.
Yeah, I prefer to use the word 'efficient' over lazy . But I'm with you on that one, if I can get a compromise-free dual purpose setup without needing any additional labor then I'm all for it. All the tiny stuff to prep the car adds up so I like to save time where I can.

I agree that one set of wheels/tires would be even better. That is true arrive and drive. In my case, I didn't want to track my street wheels (due to their cost & expense of 19/20" tires). Wheel swap can be done in 20 minutes so the effort is considerably less than a brake swap. Maybe I figured that trade off was OK, given the benefit of higher performing track tires and longer lasting 'commute' tires. It was just the plan, I haven't really thought about it much, but now you got me thinking about a single wheel setup...

Thanks for the info on the Endless pads. I will check them out after I use up the OEM pads I purchased. If they last longer and serve dual purpose, I am all for that. I do agree that one of the limitations of the CCB setup is the tiny pads (10mm I think?). I would have preferred something thicker to prolong changes.

Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
www.optionsauto.com sells spacers
Thanks. Seems mostly import focused (which is great for my DD). Will take a look at their offerings.

Originally Posted by familyman's C6
Thank you. Price is per spacer... not cheap! Will keep them on my list as I search for spacers though.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:28 PM
0Finspeed
Former Vendor

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Give me a call before you buy spacers. There are a few things to consider for your street wheels.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Finspeed
Give me a call before you buy spacers. There are a few things to consider for your street wheels.
For anyone looking for a thin spacer, be sure to reach out to Finspeed.

I've got a set on the way

Get notified of new replies

To Thin Spacers - Any recommendations?

Quick Reply: Thin Spacers - Any recommendations?