Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor damage from loss oil - how long to show up?

Old 02-09-2014, 11:11 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Motor damage from loss oil - how long to show up?

Any way to check before paying for track day? Accumsump busted and dumped all my oil. Drove about 100 yds with zero oil pressure. Have driven about 100 mi since and it seems to be doing OK, no unusual sounds etc. How many miles before I can cut up oil filter and look for metal? Any other things to check? Motor is a forged aluminum LS2 if that matters.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:03 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I think 100 miles is enough to cut it open and check.
I wouldn't think you've done any damage with only going 100 yards.
I lost oil pressure in my old engine once (on track at WOT) for longer than that and it ran great for years afterwards.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:26 PM
flink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd run it. I had a friend who lost pressure in his BMW engine and ran it flat out for over half a lap before he noticed. He replaced the rod bearings but said the old ones looked fine.

I'd cut open the oil filter and have a good look in there for flakes of bearing bits.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:11 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Oil analysis? $25.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:00 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
Oil analysis? $25.
+1 Blackstone
Old 02-09-2014, 10:32 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think it all depends on the conditions .. Like others said you may be lucky but hard to tell if one bearing is scorched and "weaker" .. If ya do not notice any noises now I would blackstone it and run her ..

Not to hijack thread but I run Accusump also ... how did it fail? Under what conditions?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:56 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Was just driving home from golfing. Tank wasn't even hooked up as repl coil from Canton had gone bad again. It looks like bottom just blew out as threads are ripped.

Going to send sample off tomorrow to Blackstone as I have my report from last summer to reference. Didn't think of that. Going to do oil filter just for peace of mind before hooking oil cooler back up and adding more oil. Had just changed oil less than 100 mi before tank blew.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:33 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

I doubt you had any damage. A long time ago I was driving my BB Corvette to the store and along the way the pressure gauge dropped to zero due to the oil pickup falling off the oil pump. Drove it two miles (including a steep hill) to get home. There wasn't any damage to the engine. As long as you aren't beating the hell out of it the oil film will protect the vital parts for quite a while.

Bill
Old 02-10-2014, 07:16 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I would feel pretty good after 100 miles with no unusual behavior.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:11 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I doubt you had any damage. A long time ago I was driving my BB Corvette to the store and along the way the pressure gauge dropped to zero due to the oil pickup falling off the oil pump. Drove it two miles (including a steep hill) to get home. There wasn't any damage to the engine. As long as you aren't beating the hell out of it the oil film will protect the vital parts for quite a while.

Bill
I would agree. A quick cut apart of the filter and strain the oil through a fine filter you can see if there are any particulates floating around in there....of course a major change in oil pressure would let you know something was wrong too.

We lost an oil pump drive belt on a W.C. car a number of years ago and the car went 5-6 seconds with no pressure...only had minor surface damage to the mains and it was spinning 7-7400 RPM when it happened.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Ramo7769
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Is it me or are these Accusumps causing more harm than good? I will monitor my oil pressure on the track (I have a stock '99 FRC) and I will run an oil cooler. But all these stories about accusumps dumping oil have me too spooked to try it.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:15 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramo7769
Is it me or are these Accusumps causing more harm than good? I will monitor my oil pressure on the track (I have a stock '99 FRC) and I will run an oil cooler. But all these stories about accusumps dumping oil have me too spooked to try it.
I am beginning to question as well. Love to hear more opinions.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:10 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Definitely issues with the EPC set up. I have gone through 2 coils although Canton says they are bullet proof and are rarely a problem. If I repl mine, it will be with manual valve.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:25 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm an engineer by trade, specifically in the field of manufacturing and quality of metal parts. After seeing the way the Accusump is constructed with those threaded end caps, there is absolutely no way I would ever put 1 in my car.

The Moroso accumulator is a WAAAAAAAY better design.

Apologies for the continued hijack.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:40 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Son #1 I lost oil cooler line on my 99 FRC with 120,000 mile engine in turn 1 VIR, immediately shut it down. After repairing the fitting, again, it lasted till Hog Pen on a parade lap. Rods came through everything.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:16 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

What is wrong with the threading the end caps and how is the Moroso held together?
Old 02-11-2014, 12:23 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
What is wrong with the threading the end caps and how is the Moroso held together?
A minimal number of fine internal threads in aluminum on a diameter that size is not strong to begin with. I don't know the thread size offhand, but by eyeball alone, it looks wildly insufficient for the stresses that they see. If you have ever used an aluminum bolt for anything, you likely know how fragile the threads are. Add varying pressure, heat, vibration, tolerances and variances within the original manufacturing, wear to both the cap and the tube threads during rebuilds, and overall fatigue and it's no wonder that they blow out over time.

Even if they had the cap thread on the outside it would be a much stronger design. At least with that method, any expansion (even if it is very slight) would actually push the "tube" threads tighter against the cap as opposed to expanding them away as happens with the internal thread. As it is now, you have pressure trying to expand the "tube", you have heat expanding and contracting the 2 pieces ad different rates, you have very fragile aluminum threads, and you have a fairly substantial amount of pressure pushing straight out on the cap. I honestly can't believe that more of them don't come apart.

The Moroso that I have experience with is held in place with a big snap ring with a fairly large channel to seat it. With pressure, heat, expansion, vibration, etc the snap ring stays exactly where it should.

When I was looking for a picture, it looks like they have actually changed to an external thread design like described above which IMO would be a much better design than the internal thread. I have not seen 1 of these apart so I can't speak to it with much intelligence but it does look like it has a pretty beefy cap with a substantial threaded area.

Again, I have not personally tested any of this and my only personal experience with an Accusump is inspecting 1 that blew apart just as the 1 did here. I have however worked with multiple Moroso accumulators and from my experience, they seem like a very well designed and constructed part.

Get notified of new replies

To Motor damage from loss oil - how long to show up?

Old 02-11-2014, 12:28 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

OP... if you get a minute can you try to measure the threads on yours? How many? What depth?

I am just curious to see what the math says.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:31 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for that. Any idea what the difference is in the Moroso to explain the fact that it is 4" longer?
Old 02-11-2014, 01:12 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Although the retainers on the moroso may be stronger, I suspect that even with relatively few threads the accusump has quite a bit of bearing surface considering the diameter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motor damage from loss oil - how long to show up?