Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 vs c6 geometry differences?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 08:01 PM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Default C5 vs c6 geometry differences?

I have a full set of cad files on a c6. The c6 abs and ah electronics suck compared to the c5 for my purposes but I have that conquered pretty much. The mechanical handling is also worse in a c6, even if you spring, shock and bar a c6 with c5 parts. Anybody have c5 geometry files? I'd like to compare. I did not think the differences were that great.

If I had to guess I'd bet they changed camber roll centers and anti squat in the rear but before I mess around with it any more I'd like it actually have data.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:38 PM
theseal
Drifting

i know someone here has to know!
Old 02-12-2014, 07:35 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Here's what I have. It's all 4 front arms and one rear one. I don't even remember where I got them but I converted the files to iges for ease of use.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ogkpik0gfh...sion%20igs.zip

I also put together a spreadsheet with all of the points, front and rear. You should be able to do any analysis that you want using this.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...dimensions.xls

-Matt
Old 02-16-2014, 01:46 PM
theseal
Drifting

Thanks to scooter70 and my own rather extensive efforts I have two data sets to play with now. They are not identical sources, one appears to be physical measurements from a car which is really hard to do so there may be some discrepancies, but I can already see some probable significant differences.

The rear is surprisingly similar, that is where I expected the most difference. Obviously the c6 cradle moves everything rearward, moving the wheelbase from the titanic to a super carrier. (I really think the c5-7 is at least 10% too big all around)

More importantly, it appears the c6 has even more anti squat, which is absurd as the c5 had way too much, designed to take potholes well at the expense of performance, IMO, though I have not modeled it to confirm.

Most importantly, it appears the rear tie rod is in a much different location, which would have dramatic effects on bump steer. I'll have to model it.

Contrary to what I had though it looks like the front spindle is a bit different. I need to compare physically to confirm, I am not sure that is right. Again it also looks like the tie rod is in a much different location here too. I will have to model it to see what actual effects the relocation has. I think I know what to expect but I'll wait to pass judgement.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:17 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 02-16-2014, 06:04 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by theseal
Contrary to what I had though it looks like the front spindle is a bit different. I need to compare physically to confirm, I am not sure that is right. Again it also looks like the tie rod is in a much different location here too. I will have to model it to see what actual effects the relocation has. I think I know what to expect but I'll wait to pass judgement.
In relation to the front lower control arm (picks ups on the cradle anyway) the steering rack is further forward on the C6 compared to the C5, so yes, the bump geometry is bound to be different as the tie rod is at a different angle off the spindle.

I'm curious of the front lower fore/aft ball joint pick up on the C6 vs the C5, I just haven't measured them up yet

Get notified of new replies

To C5 vs c6 geometry differences?

Quick Reply: C5 vs c6 geometry differences?