Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE and 2012 seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 06:27 AM
stronghammer
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts
Default HPDE and 2012 seats

Any opinions on the adequacy of the 2012 seat upgrade with regards to occasional track use ? I want something that will hold me in place during the 6-8 track days per year. So who out there is tracking their Vet with the 2012 seats and how do you like it ?
Old 02-13-2014, 06:08 PM
boltvette
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by stronghammer
Any opinions on the adequacy of the 2012 seat upgrade with regards to occasional track use ? I want something that will hold me in place during the 6-8 track days per year. So who out there is tracking their Vet with the 2012 seats and how do you like it ?
C6 Corvette seats aren't quite as bad as the C5 versions, but still terrible because of a lack of lower seat bolsters. Check out Angel Pads by Angelwings Tech. Unless your going to go to a full race seat, they are by far the best solution.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:46 AM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

Same issue here. Did 4 trackdays last year and the seats were a real issue. This year planning around 8.

Ended up ordering this package and it's being installed next week: http://www.xplosiveperformance.com/S...e-_p_3507.html
Old 02-14-2014, 08:53 AM
w00tw00t
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Stock seats are terrible!, they're like sitting on a comfy couch - not something I want to do in a 90mph left hander at the track!

I upgraded to OMP ARS and Scroth Harnesses and haven't looked back... so much better.

Last edited by w00tw00t; 02-14-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I can't even put into words how nice the upgrade to a fixed back seat was. Even without my 6pt harness it would have been a world of improvement; but the combo is fantastic. She feels like a different car almost.

If you want a single duty seat I know multiple guys who are very happy with their Corbeau A4s.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:25 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

For just a few track days a year, keep your stock seats, and get some Angel Pads. They really keep you from sliding around in the seat and they take 10 seconds to put in and take out when you're finished with your track day. Price is very reasonable and they hold their value too when you go to resell them later on when you don't need them anymore.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:25 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boltvette
C6 Corvette seats aren't quite as bad as the C5 versions, but still terrible because of a lack of lower seat bolsters. Check out Angel Pads by Angelwings Tech. Unless your going to go to a full race seat, they are by far the best solution.

Angel Pads make sense as a cost effective solution if you want to keep your stock seats for daily driving, which is more comfortable than driving around town in a full blown race seat.

You can drop less than $200 on angel pads. Or you can drop a few grand on aftermarket seats and harness. The former makes more sense to me on a car that is primarily used on the street. The latter makes sense on a full blown track car.

My 2 cents.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:49 PM
RIRaven
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not ready for the investment to get the proper seats and harnesses. I do about 6 track days a year. I used the Angel Pad last year and it was a huge improvement. It kept me planted yet was easy to take in an out. Much better on my left knee and I didn't have to keep scooting back into position on the straights. In fact, I didn't think about my seat position at all.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:21 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I am also a dual use car guy.. I do about 6-8 DE days per year. I love it, but I'm not ready to give up my stock seats. The Angle Pads worked great for me last season. Great cost to benefit ratio and I'm sure they helped improve my lap times... while keeping me firmly planted and expending a lot less energy "holding myself in place".... I highly recommend for anybody who's not going to a dedicated track car and wants to keep the convenience of the stock seats..
Old 02-14-2014, 02:32 PM
72Vega
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with Mark DFW

As I have made chassis, suspension and handling improvements on my car, I needed a solution that was safe and cost effective. Angel Wings pads are a great solution if you drive your car to and from events and just don't have the $$, time or desire to go with race seats. It also allows you to keep all of the GM designed safety features 100% in place.

With Angel Pads on the seat here's what I do in my 05 Coupe:

1. Take a seat, secure helmet and run the driver seat all the way back. Buckle in loosely.
2. Pull up the door-side AW pad and hold it in place.
3. Close the door -- this provides the tight fit that the pads provide to hold my hips in place.
4. Pull the oem belt all the way out and let it ratchet back until it's snug with the seat all the way back.
5. Push the button on the door that moves the seat forward to my track driving position. Yep, it's going to get REALLY tight -- just short of cutting off the circulation to your upper body is about right
6. drop the steering wheel in place, put on my gloves, push the button on the console to turn off traction control and active handling.

Full disclosure: I drive in NASA HPDE 4 or comparable groups and also instruct in our region - these are typically 20-30 minute sessions. I tow a tire trailer to events. I use a seat belt pad on the shoulder belt so it doesn't cut into my shoulder. The groups I run with require both seats to be the same for passengers or instructors. I also wear an R3 Head and Neck Restraint both in my car and while instructing. I've found that AW Pads minimize having to hold my body in place by pressing my legs against the console on the right and the "cheese grater" speaker cover on the door. These don't COMPLETELY eliminate this problem, but I am MUCH less fatigued at the end of a session.

Angel Wing pads are very, very effective in keeping you planted in the seat while on track as well as cost effective ($189) as an intermediate solution between our stock seats and full race seats. I really see this product as an affordable piece of safety equipment that helps drivers improve their car control skills.

Not affiliated with Angel Wings in any way, just a satisfied customer. http://angelwingstech.com/
Old 02-14-2014, 06:20 PM
stronghammer
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, I'm sold. Just placed my order for angel pads.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:53 PM
bluemagoo
Pro

Good choice! I've used AngelPads for several seasons and find they are a good solution for a dual-purpose car to hold the lower body in place (as mentioned above). Cinching the 3-pt harness tight (I mean really tight) helps keep the upper body in place too.

Again, not a replacement for a dedicated fixed-back competition seat; but a simple, inexpensive way to help reduce sore knees and keep you from sliding around so much. They're well made and my experience with the company has been A+.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:02 PM
giantkeeper
Instructor

Looking at angel pads now myself! I have a bad back and had to cut day two of my weekend session in half because of the lack of bolster in the C5z and an irritated lower back.

Great info!
Old 02-14-2014, 07:06 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I also just placed my order, I think this is a great alternative to full race seats for the weekend warrior. Great thread, see ye'll at the track.

Watkins Glen, April 2014!

Last edited by Boxcar; 02-14-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:08 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by franman69
I am also a dual use car guy.. I do about 6-8 DE days per year. I love it, but I'm not ready to give up my stock seats. The Angle Pads worked great for me last season. Great cost to benefit ratio and I'm sure they helped improve my lap times... while keeping me firmly planted and expending a lot less energy "holding myself in place".... I highly recommend for anybody who's not going to a dedicated track car and wants to keep the convenience of the stock seats..
I see you track at the Glen! I'll see you in April with NASA! Counting the days.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:56 AM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by boltvette
Angel pads all the way. Solves the track issues then allows the wife to drive the car complaint free the following week. They don't make the seat a little better, they completely solve the problem.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:15 PM
doveboat
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
For just a few track days a year, keep your stock seats, and get some Angel Pads. They really keep you from sliding around in the seat and they take 10 seconds to put in and take out when you're finished with your track day. Price is very reasonable and they hold their value too when you go to resell them later on when you don't need them anymore.
Agree, I use the Angel Wings in my C5 Z for intermediate level HPDE's and find they make a big improvement for keeping my hips locked in place.

For more aggressive driving I would reco a fixed back seat fitted for yourself along with a harness & Hans type device.

Ed

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE and 2012 seats

Old 02-16-2014, 09:22 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

everyone forgot The McDonalds option.... If you get fat enough, you don't slide much if at all.....
Old 02-17-2014, 01:10 AM
c6hp4fun
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As an Angel Wing user myself, the only thing I would add is that it helps a lot at autocross as well as track days.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:05 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by stronghammer
OK, I'm sold. Just placed my order for angel pads.
The difference in lap times with AWs and without is quite large. You won't be disappointed. I've lent mine out a few times and the "ohh, now I know why you are quicker" reaction I get upon their return to the paddock is priceless.

Quick Reply: HPDE and 2012 seats