Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front 6 piston calipers, 19" CCW SP500s

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 03:08 PM
MStrahan
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Front 6 piston calipers, 19" CCW SP500s

Hi all,
I posted this in the C5Z section as well, but I thought the folks here might be more prone to a 6 piston caliper so here goes..
I've searched everywhere and I can't seem to get a straightforward answer. I've called and talked with Chip at CCW, someone at Wilwood and someone else at LGM about this topic. I know and understand why I can't get a straight answer and I'm not upset at any of the vendors. So, I'm turning to folks here to see if anyone is running a 6 piston caliper behind their "stock", front 19" SP500s. By stock I mean the wheels weren't cut originally for a larger caliper.
I've seen several posts about folks getting the wheels designed from the start for a big brake set up and I've seen posts saying that big brakes can't be used behind a normal SP500. However during my searching I did find a set of Wilwood 6 piston calipers that have a claim of running behind a stock 17" Z06 wheel. Here are the links:
http://www.lgmotorsports.com/product...oducts_id=1882
http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...on=C-5+%26+Z06

I think these are possibly the same caliper, but I'm not 100%. Either way this made me think that perhaps these could work behind my wheels.

My question to the forum, Is anyone running a 6 piston caliper behind these wheels? If so, who is the mfg and were there any clearance issues.
I've printed off the template from Wilwood so I can make my own measurements, but it'll be at least a month before the wheels are back on my car not to mention my car is over 400 miles away getting a new engine and other go fast parts. I'm hoping someone somewhere has done this upgrade and can let me know it'll work. If not, I suppose I'll do my measurements with the template and be the guinea pig for these wheels although if I goof it could get expensive.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:52 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

I cannot fully answer your question..but:

There are a number of Wilwood Six piston calipers here so knowing what you want and are after or being shown means everything.

1. The factory Wilwood kits use a FNSL4 with a body overhang of 1.790"

This is THE most wheel friendly part.

2. The kit from KNS and/or LG use a narrow outer body BSL6 with a body overhang of 2.13"

Popular as they came with 20mm thick pads but had the outer body shaved for spoke clearance.

3. At one time...in a land...long, long ago...there were some BSL6 calipers that had even more overhang and were distinguished by the rib down the outer body at 2.35".
The least ideal caliper in that it takes up a HUGE amount of wheel space.

4. There are also the the W6A calipers with a middle ground 1.980"

This offers big caliper looks and function at a minimum clearance.

1 & 3 come on either Wilwood caliper kits or complete kits.
2 & 4 are alternate parts from outside suppliers.

Looking at a PDF limits the info you have to ONLY that caliper supplied in the kit. You MUST not use it as a reference to other options. The reason; it's fit to its own hat and rotor- not what the others may be supplying you.

More if you need it.

Last edited by Todd TCE; 02-24-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:41 PM
MStrahan
Burning Brakes

Thank you for the information. Would anyone know how far the stock caliper overhangs? Perhaps that would give some insight as well.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:30 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

This does not directly answer your question, so disregard if you want. On my C5Z06 race car, I am running the W6 six piston front kit and W4 four piston rear kit behind OEM 18x10.5" C5Z06 rears. I have zero fitment issues. It should be noted that I am running SKF hubs (less flex than stock).

Hopefully you can figure out the specific fitment question you have. From what I have seen, the biggest issue with brake kits is clearance to the spokes, not necessarily to the barrel.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:39 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by MStrahan
Thank you for the information. Would anyone know how far the stock caliper overhangs? Perhaps that would give some insight as well.
This would be a direct comparison so long as you are using the same rotor in all cases. Any rotor change "could" result in slight variations to that if the center of the disc is shifted in or out slightly. But overall you're getting the idea.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:51 PM
MStrahan
Burning Brakes

Up to the top...is anyone running a 6 piston caliper behind a standard cut 19" SP500?

Get notified of new replies

To Front 6 piston calipers, 19" CCW SP500s

Quick Reply: Front 6 piston calipers, 19" CCW SP500s