Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotor issue with C7 at track?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 12:55 AM
Monaco335
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rotor issue with C7 at track?

I had some concerns when I saw the c7 rotor design with an iron hats vs aluminum which shouldn't be as good in heat dissipation and it looks like issues are surfacing with the rotors.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-t...-only-one.html

Not sure if the track folks frequent the c7 section so I'm curious what your thoughts are from track perspective and how long did it take for the c6 aftermarket to provide options for rotors?

I'd prefer a simple blank at the track vs fancy drilled rotors which can crack and a modified rotor cooling duct. I don't think $800 in rotors after every other track day is right. My 335 with PFC08's lasted an entire season on the same rotor so I'm not sure if this rotor issue is common with vettes.

Thanks!
Eric
Old 02-27-2014, 11:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by spiike32
I had some concerns when I saw the c7 rotor design with an iron hats vs aluminum which shouldn't be as good in heat dissipation and it looks like issues are surfacing with the rotors.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-t...-only-one.html

Not sure if the track folks frequent the c7 section so I'm curious what your thoughts are from track perspective and how long did it take for the c6 aftermarket to provide options for rotors?

I'd prefer a simple blank at the track vs fancy drilled rotors which can crack and a modified rotor cooling duct. I don't think $800 in rotors after every other track day is right. My 335 with PFC08's lasted an entire season on the same rotor so I'm not sure if this rotor issue is common with vettes.

Thanks!
Eric
Eric,
Haven't really paid much attention to C7 issues yet. I did see that post a while ago. I suspect the uneven pad deposits are causing his thumping. At least that is what happens when I get a lot of pad deposits. Sometimes you just have to ignore it. Myself I won't replace a rotor unless it is close to cracking or is cracked. My foot may be jumping up and down from the thumping but I won't swap out the rotor until it is ready to crack.

From a history stand point the C4, C5 and C6 rotors would crack fairly quickly under track conditions. C5 blank brake rotors would last about 3 days of track use running aggressive race pads. C6Z06 drilled rotors have a lot more meat in them so they last about 5 track days. My experience with Coleman two piece slotted rotors on the C6Z is about 7 days before cracking. I have around 5 days and quite a few road miles on a set of two piece slotted Wilwoods at this time. Vette rotors may have a high list price but stock or stock type rotors can be purchased for much less than the list price. C5 rotors are dirt cheap and are considered consumables. Through last season I could get C6Z GM rotors shipped to my house in NY State for less than $100 ea. Compared with 2.5 times that much for aftermarket rotor rings its obvious the stock rotors are a cost effective solution. Biggest issue is the PIA of changing them at the track.

I am pretty sure you will eventually be able to find stock C7 rotors for a fair price at the forum vendors who specialize in GM parts. Keep watching the forum there will probably be some vendors offering aftermarket rotors within a short time.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 02-27-2014 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-21-2022, 09:30 PM
DrinkinPepsi
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be seeing you around. I just moved to Pueblo. So far I have been to PPIR and La Junta. In my C6 I have brake ducts and I would call them a must have. Look forward to seeing you out there.

Get notified of new replies

To Rotor issue with C7 at track?

Quick Reply: Rotor issue with C7 at track?