Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HANS Fitment and Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:30 PM
Ramo7769
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default HANS Fitment and Impressions

I'm looking to purchase a HANS device. Not only will I be tracking my C5 this year, but I'll also be road racing a Chevy S10 in the 24 Hours of Lemons. This has me considering the HANS Adjustable. However, I was wondering if the run of the mill 20* model seems to suffice in most conditions for average sized people in production vehicles (not formula cars).

Being 5'11" 170lb and just racing production cars around, I feel the Hans Sport 20 will suit me but if there is value in spending the extra money on the Adjustable model, I'd be open to it. I do NOT want to buy a 20 and then find out a 10 is all that works in the race truck, for example. Any thoughts, impressions, and first hand experience anyone can share?
Old 02-28-2014, 11:49 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramo7769
I'm looking to purchase a HANS device. Not only will I be tracking my C5 this year, but I'll also be road racing a Chevy S10 in the 24 Hours of Lemons. This has me considering the HANS Adjustable. However, I was wondering if the run of the mill 20* model seems to suffice in most conditions for average sized people in production vehicles (not formula cars).

Being 5'11" 170lb and just racing production cars around, I feel the Hans Sport 20 will suit me but if there is value in spending the extra money on the Adjustable model, I'd be open to it. I do NOT want to buy a 20 and then find out a 10 is all that works in the race truck, for example. Any thoughts, impressions, and first hand experience anyone can share?
The best thing to do is bring your helmet to a shop that sells HANS devices and try sitting at different angles. With that said, I really think you will be fine with the 20. 20's are very versital and work in a lot of vehicles.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:08 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

If you're switching vehicles a lot, especially if you're instructing in the right seat of students' cars, you might consider a Rage Restraint:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/d...g&keyword=Rage

Of course with a HANS you need a full harness - the shoulder harness straps hold down the HANS device.

With the Rage, it attaches to your body, and you don't need a harness. So you can have head-n-neck support in any vehicle - even one with just the stock 3-point seat belts.

Just FYI and something to consider!!

Bob
Old 03-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Mine is a Model 20, size medium. I'll bring it to karting today and you can try it. I've had no issues using it with the stock Corvette seat and my Cobra Suzuka. Unless the seat in your LeMons truck is extremely vertical I think you'll be fine with the 20. You just want to make sure that the HANS isn't pushing your helmet forward when you're in your driving position.

https://www.impactraceproducts.com/Articles.asp?ID=249
Old 03-01-2014, 07:59 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Originally Posted by BEZ06
If you're switching vehicles a lot, especially if you're instructing in the right seat of students' cars, you might consider a Rage Restraint:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/d...g&keyword=Rage

Of course with a HANS you need a full harness - the shoulder harness straps hold down the HANS device.

With the Rage, it attaches to your body, and you don't need a harness. So you can have head-n-neck support in any vehicle - even one with just the stock 3-point seat belts.

Just FYI and something to consider!!

Bob
I believe the Hans pictured needs the full harness. The 2 loops in the front need to lock into the lap belt. The Simpson R3 I believe is the one that is not dependent on a full harness because it has a solid piece down the back.

I have the pro rage (pictured) and I like it. When I bought it a few years ago, the manufacturer published crash results that showed it had better side impact protection than the others. Not sure if that is still the case.

Last edited by 2 GTOs; 03-01-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:59 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Hans brand always needs to use a harness, and cannot be used effectively with the stock 3 point seat belts.

Look at this comparison between wearing a Hans and no Hans device.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:20 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 GTOs
I believe the Hans pictured needs the full harness...
Yes, I think you're correct.

I have the Rage R3 pictured below - it does not require harness shoulder straps and works well with the stock OEM 3-point belt system:

The R3 is apparently no longer manufactured. It has been replaced by the Hybrid Pro (in that picture I put up of the guy in the orange suit) which, as you mentioned, apparently requires a shoulder harness system to work properly.

So....I guess there are no head-n-neck restraint systems anymore that will work with stock seat belts.

I'm gonna hang on to my R3!!

Bob
Old 03-02-2014, 12:45 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

The 20 model fits most converted street cars and typical race seats. I think the 30 is for open wheel cars where you are laying back much more. The 10 would be far too upright for most applications, but a call to HANS or a quick search on their site may help more.

You don't really notice the HANS once strapped in and driving. It can be a bit of a pain when maneuvering around the pits, but it's well worth the hassle...
Old 03-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Feffman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I recently upgraded my Hans to the adjustable one as I'm running a different car now, but love it since I can still jump in a production car with the Hans and proper harnesses by simply adjusting the angle with a hex key. I feel naked without the Hans at the track if I'm in a car where I can't wear it.

Feff
Old 03-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Ramo7769
Racer

Originally Posted by Feffman
I recently upgraded my Hans to the adjustable one as I'm running a different car now, but love it since I can still jump in a production car with the Hans and proper harnesses by simply adjusting the angle with a hex key. I feel naked without the Hans at the track if I'm in a car where I can't wear it.

Feff
Yeah, I'm still really liking the idea of the adjustable. My Lemons racer seat is probably a good 10°+ more upright than the seat in my C5. It may be worth $200 to know I'll be covered in just about any vehicle with a harness.

Thanks to Scooter for the test fit over the weekend too. I now know at least that medium is the right size to go with.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:56 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Another item you may want to consider is the Necksgen. I picked up one at PRI, more comfy, more mobility than HANS.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Ramo7769
Racer

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
Another item you may want to consider is the Necksgen. I picked up one at PRI, more comfy, more mobility than HANS.
Thanks, I hadn't heard of that one before. But, I see it's adjustable for $200 less than the HANS adjustable. Intriguing. It is the same SFI 38.1 certification but I don't see that it has the FIA certification. I'm also not finding anything I can/will compete in that requires FIA. This is a worthy option.

Last edited by Ramo7769; 03-06-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

I don't believe the Necksgen is adjustable, unless they have come out with something new since this last PRI. It is quite comfy, that's for sure.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:55 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Yes, I think you're correct.

I have the Rage R3 pictured below - it does not require harness shoulder straps and works well with the stock OEM 3-point belt system:

The R3 is apparently no longer manufactured. It has been replaced by the Hybrid Pro (in that picture I put up of the guy in the orange suit) which, as you mentioned, apparently requires a shoulder harness system to work properly.

So....I guess there are no head-n-neck restraint systems anymore that will work with stock seat belts.

I'm gonna hang on to my R3!!

Bob
I can still find them with an online search
Old 03-13-2014, 02:52 PM
Ramo7769
Racer

After doing some more research, checking out the Necksgen, and comparing to the HANS, I think I've decided on the Adjustable HANS. I just need to drop a stack on it and continuing to reassure myself that it is the most important money I will spend on motorsport.

I'll summarize my findings and justification for my decision for future reference. Both devices are SFI 38.1 certified which means in the standardized crash test test, the dummy must have within 900 pounds of force exerted on the neck. With that said, one device may allow more force on the driver's neck than the other.

I believe there is value in the HANS design that has the tether mounted higher. With the tether mounted lower on the Necksgen, this allows more slack to be created when the head goes downward. The tether will follow an arc downward and allows more room for the head to travel than the HANS does.

I also chose the HANS because I have the more faith in it being "future proof" as it is the big name and is FIA certified. Right now, both devices suit my needs in terms of rules for all competitive driving I'm looking to do. But that can and will change and I feel more confident in the HANS which is somewhat subjective.

I decided on the HANS Adjustable for more flexibility. My LeMons race truck seat is very upright and I have concerns that the 20° will not suffice. Also, I figure 15° or 25° may be more comfortable in my C5 and I have that potential for adjustability. And who knows what I can get my hands on in the future?

Overall, I feel like I can't go wrong with the HANS Adjustable. It's a pretty penny but I think it will be worth it. Thank you for the input, everyone.

Get notified of new replies

To HANS Fitment and Impressions

Quick Reply: HANS Fitment and Impressions