Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 MARRAD Seat Conversion Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 08:47 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Default C5 MARRAD Seat Conversion Question

Gentlemen,

Have any of you installed the MARRAD C5 seat conversion?

If so, what is your opinion of their fit, finish, quality, and the seat's comfort and support?

-

Old 03-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba
Gentlemen,

Have any of you installed the MARRAD C5 seat conversion?

If so, what is your opinion of their fit, finish, quality, and the seat's comfort and support?

-

I have not... But looking at these seats I would have to ask what is your intended purpose for the seat ? They look like they would be fine for a spirited street driving seat, but not a very good track seat. Here are the reasons I say that: 1) leather or smooth vinal is not a good material for a race seat because it is too slippery. 2) there are no leg bolsters to hold your lower body in place (which are very important). 3) that appear to have too much padding to provide adequate support.

These look like they would be a slight improvement over stock seats.... But, appear inadequate as a racing seat. If it were my money( and it's not), I would invest in a good racing seat and swap it in and out when you need it.

I hope this helps,
Charley
Old 03-01-2014, 11:35 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Jim,
Most groups and sanctioning bodies don't allow harnesses to be used with "converted" stock seats. That said, if you're just looking for stock seats with some extra side bolstering these seem to fit the bill. I would want more bolstering on the seat bottom too but that would probably prevent being able to flip the seat forward to get to the back of the interior.

-Matt
Old 03-01-2014, 02:07 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Just thought I'd chime in but I am not in any way trying to talk anyone into a purchase. I just want to clarify some points.

The back is not a modified stock back. It is a completely new frame and foam that bolts to the stock bottom and reuses stock seat back cables. We also have deeper side bolsters for those wanting greater support.

The intended purpose for these is for those who do not really want to replace their stock seat or tracks with all the factory functions but need more support and harness cutouts for track events. We offer other options for more aggressive needs as well as mounting hardware that can be used with racing seats from most other companies.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
Jim,

Most groups and sanctioning bodies don't allow harnesses to be used with "converted" stock seats. That said, if you're just looking for stock seats with some extra side bolstering these seem to fit the bill. I would want more bolstering on the seat bottom too but that would probably prevent being able to flip the seat forward to get to the back of the interior.

-Matt

Thanks Matt for your comments and thanks Mark for your insight.

I am trying to satisfy my desire to have a seat that functions as the production C5 seat for street usage, which is 95% of the time. I want it to allow ease of entry and egress for my wife. I want it to fold forward for when we both want to reach something stored behind the seat. I also want better lateral support than my stock C5 seats give me.

For the other 5% of the time when I go to Waterford, Grattan, Gingerman, etc. I want openings in the seat back to allow for the comfortable use of my TeamTech Jet Pilot harnesses. My Jet Pilot harness does not allow any lateral or fore-aft movement once I have properly tightened it.

Again, I will ask "Has anyone installed the MARRAD C5 seat conversion?

If so, what did you find for fit, finish, and quality?"

-

Get notified of new replies

To C5 MARRAD Seat Conversion Question

Quick Reply: C5 MARRAD Seat Conversion Question