Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4's and track tires...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 09:46 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Default C4's and track tires...

When I was last actively tracking my C4...the C5.R was dominating SCCA. It's been about 10 years since I've been running, and I wanted to know what you guys are using for race rubber now?

I was getting take-offs from John Burget from the C5.R program, running Goodyear Eagle 25.5" x 12" x 18" (rear) and 25.5" x 11.5" x 18" (front). I was getting 3 different compounds from him, super soft (for autocross) then mediums and hard for track days.

Now that Goodyear isn't what anyone uses in SCCA...I'm wondering what you run and how well they hold up? I'm planning to autocross it again this year and doing some limited track sessions as well.

I just got done at a charity event at CotA this past weekend running on my street tires...the car is still very fast, but I really need better tires. My BFG KD's were sticky...but NOTHING like the race rubber I was used to.

So the questions are:

What do you run?

How many sessions do you typically get out of the tires?

How well does the tire talk to you? Does it grip to a point and suddenly fall off, or does it give you some feedback before throwing you to the grass?

TIA
Old 04-01-2014, 10:18 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Nobody? Is the C4 going away as a track car since the C5's & C6's are available for cheap now?

I'm sure it doesn't really matter WHAT platform the tires are on...I just want to know what your experience with wear is for the different slicks available now.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:23 AM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can go with A6 Hoosiers for AutoX. R6 for track days.

I'm running NT01s for the time being on my track car, but I'll be switching to R6 next year.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

The only full slick I have used was a Kumho ALMS endurance compound. It was great once warm, but tool a little bit to come in. Otherwise I use Hoosier As since there is a contingency in NASA. Im tempted to try some R80s but have not bought any.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:52 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I always ran 315-35-17s on my C4 (track, not AutoX).

The Hoosier R6 and the Goodyear RS-R (apparently not made anymore) were the best that I had on it and very comparable. to each other. The Hoosier gave faster fast laps, the Goodyear gave faster average laps (more consistent).

The Kuhmo V710 was a bit slower, less overall grip than the R6, but lasted longer and had excellent feedback.

The BFG R1 were colossal piles of crap that I wouldn't put on a car to roll it around a shop.

When I switched to the C5 I ran Conti scrubs. It is hard for a direct compare on a very different car but I can't imagine that you could go wrong with them. The biggest drawback that I saw was that once the initial Superman grip was gone, the falloff was pretty big. They are very square, so if your setup isn't perfect, especially in terms of camber (both static and dynamic) you can find yourself in an angry handling car pretty quickly.

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 04-01-2014 at 01:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C4's and track tires...

Quick Reply: C4's and track tires...