Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5z street tires for Autocross.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 10:38 AM
weekendracer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5z street tires for Autocross.

I just posted in the c5 Tech forum but figured I would post here as well.

I hate to beat a dead horse but, I have seen this thread brought up multiple times but most are quite a bit out of date. I just picked up a 03 Z primarily as an Autocross car, that will also probably be pulled out for a drive on beautiful days in chicago as well, which are few and far between. I do plan to drive it to and from events So I will be getting an aggressive but still streetable Alignment but now I am stuck on tires.

Before buying I was probably going to go with the Nitto NT-05 but I didn't realize how old all the threads were I was reading. And the more up to date threads are not all that positive.

Now I am wishing I had the cash to get a set of 18's for the front. I can not seem to find any used and everyone selling z06 rears they are new and over 250 a piece. 500 bucks for two front stock wheels just seems a bit much right now, and I did not budget for them. So right now I am looking at a few different options.

I could go with the Nitto nt05's for one season then buy the 18's for the front next season, and swap all 4 tires.

I could go with Nt01's however I have heard they do not heat up enough for autocross and will heat cycle out especially if I am using them as fair weather tires as well as autocross tires.

I really like the rivals which are probably the closest tire to sizing I can get but they are a bit small in front.

255/40/17 295/35/19. Looking at the specs the 255 tread with is about the width of a standard 265, however the 295, is also wider so I am a bit concerned about under steer. I would rather have a wider front tire than a narrower, however In my thought a narrower tire with better grip might still be better than a wider tire with worse grip. With this combination I can also buy the 18's next year for the front and just changed the fronts to a 275/35/18.

The last options would be the 295/35/18 rivals in the rear with 275/40/17 Khumo XS in the front. Again probably for a season until i can get some 18's for the front.

Does anyone autocross their vette on street tires? I have never been a fan of swapping tires at the track. I do not run with SCCA or any major sanctioning body, just local clubs with pretty wide classes, my z06 puts me in the unlimited class with just about every club. However with the new street class starting I wouldn't mind trying to figure out a setup that the vette could use.

Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: C5z street tires for Autocross.