Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14" rotors with stock c5 calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 08:35 AM
I8URSVT
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 14" rotors with stock c5 calipers?

Was just curious if anyone has had any experience with the brackets that move the stock caliper mounts to allow for the use of 14" rotors. These would help fill out 18"/19" wheels. Would there be any real performance benefit out of them? I guess the larger rotor would take longer to get hot, but are there any other benefits when paired with the stock calipers? Anybody have pics of this set up?
Old 04-05-2014, 02:15 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Are you referring to the baer kit?

From what ive seen, the rotors for those kits are drilled which makes them a no go.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:41 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
Are you referring to the baer kit?

From what ive seen, the rotors for those kits are drilled which makes them a no go.
Why would you want to do that. The whole reason of moving to a 14" rotors is so that you can have more surface area for a larger caliper. Ideally you want to run the smallest possible because of weight. However if the larger caliper is letting you stop quicker than that is more important than adding weight. What you are asking though is to just add weight without gaining any stopping distance. You will probably increase stopping distance slightly just due to the extra weight. The real solution on keeping stock caliper would be how to make them work on say a 12" lightweight rotor.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by I8URSVT
Was just curious if anyone has had any experience with the brackets that move the stock caliper mounts to allow for the use of 14" rotors. These would help fill out 18"/19" wheels. Would there be any real performance benefit out of them? I guess the larger rotor would take longer to get hot, but are there any other benefits when paired with the stock calipers? Anybody have pics of this set up?
DRM used to offer an upgrade kit for the C5 that moved the caliper outwards so you could run a larger rotor. I don't think it was ever offered with drilled rotors but that was one of the few ways to get a C5 brake upgrade in the early years. Don't know if it accommodated a 14 inch rotor though.

The C6 Z51 calipers were on caliper mounting brackets that allowed them to run a 13.4 in front rotor. Other than that they were basically the same caliper as the stock C5 caliper. You could easily use those brackets to mount a C5 caliper and then use the C6 Z51 rotors or non drilled aftermarket rotors.

Bill
Old 04-05-2014, 08:19 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
Why would you want to do that. The whole reason of moving to a 14" rotors is so that you can have more surface area for a larger caliper.
I think the idea is that the caliper doesn't need to work as hard if it's grabbing the rotor further away from the center. Since braking is just applying a torque to the rotor, moving the caliper 10% further away means you achieve the same torque with 9% less force from the caliper - which means you can use a less aggressive brake pad. The larger diameter rotor also means more rotor material to absorb heat.

You use big brakes not to go faster but to make them last longer.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

To answer the OP's question I have not.

But it should be an improvement in braking. Increasing the circumference of the braking area in fact increases the braking surface. It will add unsprung weight but it will also add extra mass to absorb the heat generated by braking.

Not apples to apples but I know of one former AIX champion that ran 14" rotors with Brake Man calipers and claimed he didn't need to run cooling ducts due to the increased mass of the rotors.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:56 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by troyguitar
I think the idea is that the caliper doesn't need to work as hard if it's grabbing the rotor further away from the center. Since braking is just applying a torque to the rotor, moving the caliper 10% further away means you achieve the same torque with 9% less force from the caliper - which means you can use a less aggressive brake pad. The larger diameter rotor also means more rotor material to absorb heat.

You use big brakes not to go faster but to make them last longer.
It is not apples to apples obviously but it doesnt quiet work as well as that. There are allot of cons with going that direction, and if it were just as easy as that GM would have installed 14" rotors on any Corvette running 18" wheels up front, but yet they didn't. Stopping distance is a big claim to be had and if they could gain 9% stopping by going from a 13 to 14 rotor they would have. The lighter they are the better also to a certain extent. If you rule out the carbon ceramic, iron is the best rotor and they are not light. The larger caliper will obviously supply more torque to the rotor and by them decreasing the stopping distance you can deal with the negative that the larger diameter rotor will influence steering input a little. However if you could have the perfect answer a large caliper on a small rotor with cooling cannot be beat. Well unless you start comparing the carbon ceramic than in that case the larger rotor wins everytime.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:16 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not exactly to the OP's point, but for related info see the recent thread on the Wilwood W6A's. I think they are designed for a c6 and the discussion turned to using them on a c5 with a c6 z51 rotor.

Last edited by RDnomorecobra; 04-27-2014 at 07:07 PM. Reason: meant rotor, not caliper.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:16 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,285 Likes on 930 Posts

Torque on a brake is actually by radius of the center of the pad contact to the center of the rotor.

Reason for bigger brakes is for heat soak, not so much torque generally. Plus it's the tire that stops the car not the brakes.

Mmmm carbon ceramic have such a nice energy curve.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:51 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Both principles apply. Larger diameter rotor = larger heat sink. Caliper further away from center of rotor = more brake torque. I haven't the first clue of % performance improvement in either area but those two principles apply as a matter of physics....all other things remaining the same.

To the OP if you are looking at a Baer kit they are available with blank or slotted rotors.....call Baer directly for part numbers.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:48 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Basically it's not linear, so a 10% increase doesn't really mean 10% faster stopping with all else equal.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:05 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
To the OP if you are looking at a Baer kit they are available with blank or slotted rotors.....call Baer directly for part numbers.
True story. In my case it was not really a case of the part number(s) being different per se, it's just that I needed to specify cheese-graters (in my case) when ordering. Baer Eradispeed +2 "slotted only". No extra charge or cost as such, but it does need to be specified beforehand.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:18 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Is DRM the only company that makes slotted only for the z51?
Old 04-26-2014, 10:24 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Basically it's not linear, so a 10% increase doesn't really mean 10% faster stopping with all else equal.
I was not saying that you would stop any more quickly. With the pad grabbing at a larger radius, you can stop at the same rate but without exerting as much force on the rotor. Less force = less heat going into the pad, caliper, and fluid = longer lasting brakes.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:27 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

See post #12. Try them.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:29 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

DBA you mean? If not, then DBA makes them too. DBA T3 4000-series about $750 for a set of 4.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:24 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Too many company's with all these short forms lol thanks guys.

Get notified of new replies

To 14" rotors with stock c5 calipers?

Old 04-26-2014, 11:29 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Too many company's with all these short forms lol thanks guys.
DRM = Doug Rippie Motorsports
DBA = Disc Brakes Australia

Old 04-27-2014, 12:04 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

DRM are the shocks I want to buy and dba for brakes. Got it lol.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:26 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
Not exactly to the OP's point, but for related info see the recent thread on the Wilwood W6A's. I think they are designed for a c6 and the discussion turned to using them on a c5 with a c6 z51 caliper.

And considering the cost effective nature of this particular kit it's a no-brainer over trying to relocate as stock caliper to larger discs.

The kit allows for both the 13.4 and 14" flavor discs (radial mount spacer included) so the is flexibility in the system for both budget and wheel size.

And if you really want to go crazy you can pair it with FNSL4 rear calipers on an also stock 13.4" rotor for both improved performance and looks. ALL of that for well under $1800 to the door.

C6 Caliper Kits

Quick Reply: 14" rotors with stock c5 calipers?