Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 12:44 PM
bunkle
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tire questions

ready for rubber . there are two opportunities on tire sales that I have a couple of questions for . the first is Michelin Pilot Sport tires . they are advertised as the right tire size for my base 08 . The light load was different than the Goodyear 88 y's on the front and the 90 y's on the rear . they are saying that the load code is 93 y's on the front and 99 y's on the rear . What is the difference ? there asking $1,699.00 mounted and balanced by a qualified tec.
Also there are a set of four Firestone Firehawk Wide oval run flats,
245/40 R 18's not ZR and the 285/35 R 19's ,also not ZR , same load as the Goodyear , 88 y's and 90 y's . they are asking $1,150.00 for the four tires only . no mounting .
Question on these brands , are both comparable to the Goodyear's.
Not sure if I should stay with the Goodyears or try one on these other brands . I heard stories about both Michelin's and Firestones , not on the favorable side of the argument . Any input would be appreciated .
Old 04-14-2014, 03:18 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I can't speak to the Firestones, but I can to the Michelin Pilot Sports. We put them on our 2011 Grand Sport when the orig Goodyears were worn out at 14,400 miles. So far I have Only had to replace the fronts once and we still have the 1st set of the rears on at 68,000 miles. Yes you read that right 68,000 miles and I have done numerous burn outs and very aggressive driving on them and they are very quiet and handle light years above the Goodyears. You will NOT be disappointed in the Michelins. They are one hell of a tire.

Quick Reply: tire questions