Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaking Pfadt coilover

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 10:13 PM
bluemagoo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default leaking Pfadt coilover

One of the Pfadt FeatherLight SA coilovers I purchased in late 2012 is weeping at the base of the shock. Though I've emailed Pfadt, I'm not expecting to get much help there given their recent change in business status.

If I can't get a new replacement for this one I see my options as:

1.) Rebuild it if these dampers can be rebuilt. If they can be rebuilt, recommendations as to who to do the work please.

2.) Replace all 4 coilovers with something else that's comparable. Recommendations welcome. This is for dual use C6 Z06 - HPDE and track days.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:44 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't go wrong with the LG coilovers either the G2 or GT2. But if you can figure out who makes the shock you might be able to get them to rebuild it.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:45 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Read my posts in this thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...dt-shocks.html
Old 04-10-2014, 11:27 PM
bluemagoo
Pro

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Thanks for the info Kevin. You've been extremely helpful. And thanks to you and David for pursuing a solution with RE and Pfadt. I'll keep running this coilover for the time being and await further news.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:10 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Replace them with Ride Tech units.

They recently brought coil overs for the corvette platform to market, we jumped at the chance to throw a set on a 1000hp road race car.

100% American made (fox and hypercoil) backed by Ride Techs 1,000,000 mile (lifetime) warranty. You really cannot find anything better out there. The quality is above and beyond anything I ever saw with pfadt and the owner of RideTech is no joke. This guy has been making quality parts for a long time and beats the ever living hell out of his own cars on the race track. Lots of R&D involved.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:26 AM
5280Racer
Drifting

Regardless if anyone has a million mile warranty.. I would stick to a company that is based off the major shock builders like bilstien, Penske, moton, ohlins. Not some knock off Chinese made shock.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:00 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 5280Racer
Regardless if anyone has a million mile warranty.. I would stick to a company that is based off the major shock builders like bilstien, Penske, moton, ohlins. Not some knock off Chinese made shock.
Fox Shocks and Hypercoil Springs are 100% american made...

Fox has dominated the off road shock world for many years, you will be hard pressed to find somthing that will take more abuse. So im not sure who you were referring to by "chinese made shocks"...

RideTech
Fox
Hypercoil

All american made....

Do a little research, you cannot go wrong with this combination at its price point.

http://www.hypercoils.com

http://www.ridefox.com

http://www.ridetech.com/store/muscle...ures_hash=V364

Last edited by breecher_7; 04-11-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:09 PM
5280Racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by breecher_7
Fox Shocks and Hypercoil Springs are 100% american made...

Fox has dominated the off road shock world for many years, you will be hard pressed to find somthing that will take more abuse. So im not sure who you were referring to by "chinese made shocks"...

RideTech
Fox
Hypercoil

All american made....

Do a little research, you cannot go wrong with this combination at its price point.

http://www.hypercoils.com

http://www.ridefox.com

http://www.ridetech.com/store/muscle...ures_hash=V364
I wasn't referring to your statement. being that all these little companies are making Chinese knock offs and going out of business due to poor business plans stick with big name companies that have and will continue to be around and support their product.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:30 AM
0darren@ridetech.com
Former Vendor

I can't help you with the rebuild, but we do offer a CoilOver Trade-in program that we put together a few years back. This program was designed to replace some of the older, wore out, cheaper coilovers with some quality American made parts. Obviously, not so much the case here, but in any event it will gain you $100/pair credit towards a new set, which is better than nothing.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:15 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Just go with the LG's and never look back. I tried so many things to make my Pfadt coil overs work and was never able to get them right. I bolted on a set of off the shelf LG's and all the handling issues went away completely. I know several people that have done the same thing and regretted waiting so long before switching to a good brand like LG.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:35 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

What is the main cause for failure on the phadt c/o? Are the seals going out due to alot of use or lack of use (garage queen)?
Old 04-21-2014, 05:05 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

I was told there was a quality control issue on some of the seals causing leaks on a certain batch of shocks that were in the first sets produced in house when they had to transfer manufacturing to their on site location in Utah instead of it being out sourced.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:48 PM
Evilash
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought from the first offering. Am I screwed? They haven't leaked yet. Just looking for more definition of which batches.

Also their is a screw closing off a fitting on the circ canister. If the biggest issue is recharging couldn't that fitting take a Schrader? Was this changed later when they changed the color of the setup and those can't be charged?
Old 04-22-2014, 12:38 AM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Evilash
I bought from the first offering. Am I screwed? They haven't leaked yet. Just looking for more definition of which batches.

Also their is a screw closing off a fitting on the circ canister. If the biggest issue is recharging couldn't that fitting take a Schrader? Was this changed later when they changed the color of the setup and those can't be charged?
Can you provide a pic of the shock showing that screw?
Old 04-22-2014, 02:32 AM
Evilash
Pro

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:42 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Check for oil on your shock shafts and oily dampness around the lower parts while you're there...if you see any of that...then they are leaking.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Try calling ANZE Suspension (http://www.anzeengineering.com/). They have recently said that they're working on being able to rebuild the SA Featherlights.

Get notified of new replies

To leaking Pfadt coilover

Old 04-22-2014, 03:54 PM
wstaab
Drifting

Received 214 Likes on 129 Posts

Original version with a port for the nitrogen charge

Current version without the port

Cutaway

I have access to a local shop that rebuilds FOX, Bitubo, Penske and Ohlins shocks and has a shock dyno.
I may have a set of PFADT Featherlights to disassemble and see how the nitrogen is charged.
The piston shims and seals are not an issue as shaft seals in different diameters and hardness are available The issue may be pistons and body parts if they are required for a rebuild.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:59 PM
Evilash
Pro

The first pic is exactly what I have. The black adjuster ring and the port.
I've had no leaking issues yet. Been 3 years.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:23 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

I had one of the first sets that came from the initial "in house" build with the grey color shock bodies and no top port, and they leaked. I currently am on a set with the black shock bodies and shorter springs, and so far no issues and they are preforming great, although I wouldn't mind getting rid of them and moving onto something else.

Quick Reply: leaking Pfadt coilover