Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thread engagement 'visual test' for open ended lugs

Old 04-11-2014, 03:10 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Thread engagement 'visual test' for open ended lugs

Just got a set of open ended lugs and I understand one of the key benefits is that you and/or tech inspectors can do a quick visual 'test' to ensure there is proper thread engagement with non-OEM wheels, especially in circumstances where spacers are required.

I believe the 'rule' for ideal thread engagement should be equivalent to the diameter of the wheel stud. So for our cars, its 12x1.5. 12mm diameter wheel stud with 1.5mm of thread per rotation. Now since we have 1.5mm of thread per rotation, in order to get 12mm of thread engagement, we need at least 8 full rotations.

8 rotations x 1.5mm = 12mm of engagement

Okay, so with that out of the way, when a tech inspector does the quick visual test, at what point should it pass, fail, or be considered questionable?

Someone I consider to be very reputable, but to their credit wasn't 100% sure, thought that the wheel stud needed to stick out beyond the open lug. Many of the cars in the pits had that. Not sure if that was because it was required or they ended up with wheel studs way longer than they needed, or had 'thin' lug nuts.

And frankly, I'm not sure what benefit protruding studs will serve over a wheel stud that was 'flush' with the end of the open wheel stud. After all, if the wheel stud was near the end of the open end of the nut, then all of the threads would be engaged anyway.

I've attached photos of both my front and rear of my setup along with a photo of the lug nut that I use. For anyone who has done tech in the past, how would you rate this?

FWIW, I get about 12 rotations up front (18mm) and 8 rotations in the rear (12mm) of thread engagement with this setup.

Thanks.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:49 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I would pass those.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:32 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Yeah, I don't see any racing sanction not passing those... But just to be sure, we should see the whole car with wheels installed.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by froggy47
I would pass those.

Originally Posted by chetly
Yeah, I don't see any racing sanction not passing those... But just to be sure, we should see the whole car with wheels installed.
Thanks both of you for the feedback. I don't see why it would be a problem, just the information I got from a friend gave me second thoughts. Was looking for a second opinion on the forum about the topic.

Not sure how a picture of the whole car will help, but here you go. Thanks.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:43 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do your studs have missing threads at the very end? I prefer that part to be sticking out of the lug nut, but that's just me.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:44 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Black89Z51
Do your studs have missing threads at the very end? I prefer that part to be sticking out of the lug nut, but that's just me.
The rears have the 'blank' part without the threads. Its about 1/4" of an inch. This is how OEM is setup.

On the fronts I've got the DRM 1/2" longer studs (1/4" longer, 1/4" blanks are 'filled'). They are filled to the very end.

That is why I have 12 rotations up front and 8 rotations in the rear.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:34 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,716 Likes on 928 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

The rule of thumb for ANY fastener is 1.5 times the diameter for thread engagement (18mm in your case). I also would not count the turns, but measure the length of the threads. Put a marker on the threads before you put the wheel on and then when you install the lugs it should wipe away most of it. Take the wheel off and measure how much was taken away and that is your thread engaement.

Based on a visual check they look at least as good as OEM, but OEM is not always the best for track conditions.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:25 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Kubs
The rule of thumb for ANY fastener is 1.5 times the diameter for thread engagement (18mm in your case). I also would not count the turns, but measure the length of the threads. Put a marker on the threads before you put the wheel on and then when you install the lugs it should wipe away most of it. Take the wheel off and measure how much was taken away and that is your thread engaement.

Based on a visual check they look at least as good as OEM, but OEM is not always the best for track conditions.
You can measure thread engagement based on the number of turns. Our studs are 1.5mm per rotation, so 12 rotations would give you 18mm of thread engagement.

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:24 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Black89Z51

Many gm oem are missing threads at the end because, who knows, seems stupid to me.

Point being, as quoted above, if they don't stick out a little you don't know.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:36 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by froggy47

Many gm oem are missing threads at the end because, who knows, seems stupid to me.
It makes it easier to get the lug nuts on properly instead of sideways.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:03 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hklvette
It makes it easier to get the lug nuts on properly instead of sideways.
I also figure there is less wear/damage to the threads when mounting wheels too.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:45 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

A standard M10x1.5 nut is 10 mm high which translates to 6.7 revolutions of thread engagement. You don't need any more than that to tension the wheel stud.

Get notified of new replies

To Thread engagement 'visual test' for open ended lugs

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thread engagement 'visual test' for open ended lugs