Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help finding P/S pump leak.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 11:18 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Need help finding P/S pump leak.

Shop installed new Turn One pump a couple of month ago but now there is a leak somewhere.. The 2 connections coming out of the pump seem dry, the two going into rack seem dry, the 2 coming out of reservoir are dry, and the two going into cooler seem dry. But there is ps fluid on my floor and this on bottom of the idler pulley bracket:

[IMG][/IMG]

and this on my passenger side:

[IMG][/IMG]

Any clues before I haul it back to shop?
Old 04-13-2014, 11:25 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
Shop installed new Turn One pump a couple of month ago but now there is a leak somewhere.. The 2 connections coming out of the pump seem dry, the two going into rack seem dry, the 2 coming out of reservoir are dry, and the two going into cooler seem dry. But there is ps fluid on my floor and this on bottom of the idler pulley bracket:

[IMG][/IMG]

and this on my passenger side:

[IMG][/IMG]

Any clues before I haul it back to shop?
I would spray everything down with brake fluid and wipe it and drive it and ck again, maybe residual from the install? Also use inspection mirror & brightest light you have. I like those little led ones you can get into places a big one won't.

I missed that it was a couple months ago, residual should have dripped off by now. Still clean & reinspect.

Last edited by froggy47; 04-13-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:57 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Remove the split loom from the hose and have someone turn the wheel with the engine running. I had 3 pinholes in that hose one time for unknown reasons.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:57 AM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Seals inside rack blown ?
Old 04-14-2014, 09:01 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by froggy47
I would spray everything down with brake fluid and wipe it and drive it and ck again, maybe residual from the install? Also use inspection mirror & brightest light you have. I like those little led ones you can get into places a big one won't.

I missed that it was a couple months ago, residual should have dripped off by now. Still clean & reinspect.
It has been dripping since I got it back in and that is what I thought at first. Cleaned everything last night and will drive, so hopefully the source will be clearer.

Originally Posted by redtopz
Remove the split loom from the hose and have someone turn the wheel with the engine running. I had 3 pinholes in that hose one time for unknown reasons.
Will try it if you can be more specific about which hose. Incredible how many hoses and connections for this system. The only place I couldn't get a good look at is where the shaft goes into the rack - can't tell if something there needs tightening.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:35 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Same problem here. C6. Installed a Turn One pump, next thing is the hard line leaks. Easy to find a high pressure leak! Replaced the hard high pressure line with GM redesigned one that looks more like the C5 line and still have a leak.

Mine seems to leak at the same rates whether I drive it or not, another reason why I think its on the low pressure side somewhere.

Need to get my car on ramps, hit the underside with degreaser and find the leak. Inside the looms is probably a good guess.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:43 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It has been a while, but my rack leaked when I bought my C5. It leaked from an area sealed with epoxy. Racks with leaks from this location are not rebuildable. Not saying that is the case here, but if all the lines are dry, look to the rack itself.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:15 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder how this would look in your toolbox?

Blacklight

Probably can find some cheaper tracer but it sure does work and take the guess work out of it.
Dye
Old 04-15-2014, 11:53 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by rbl
I wonder how this would look in your toolbox?

Blacklight

Probably can find some cheaper tracer but it sure does work and take the guess work out of it.
Dye
Just as a side note, not all blacklights are the same. I bought one for about $20. & tried it with some tracer & it BARELY lit up the tracer on a pretty good leak. I am not sure how you separate good black lights from junk, mine was junk. Has something to do with the light wave freq. the bulb generates.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:56 PM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by froggy47
Just as a side note, not all blacklights are the same. I bought one for about $20. & tried it with some tracer & it BARELY lit up the tracer on a pretty good leak. I am not sure how you separate good black lights from junk, mine was junk. Has something to do with the light wave freq. the bulb generates.

I've used them on airplanes many years and never had an issue. However, I generally do it in a dark area and I use a very good dye I got from Caterpillar and a good light source. It works well enough to detect the oil vapor from a hairline crack in an engine case ... found many. I've not tried a simple device like the flashlight but it doesn't seem it would make much difference other than the amount of ambient light you can have and certainly worth a shot for the price.

Yours seemed to work (even if barely) so you definitely got your $20 out of it. If I could not ID the leak source I would give it a try.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:49 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Think you misunderstood my post. They work, just get a "good one".

Like a regular flashlight, for example, they all work, right? Some better than others.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:08 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Worth a try. Will see if NAPA/Autozone has the dye. tonite
Old 04-15-2014, 06:44 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
Will try it if you can be more specific about which hose. Incredible how many hoses and connections for this system. The only place I couldn't get a good look at is where the shaft goes into the rack - can't tell if something there needs tightening.
There's a pressure hose between the rack and the pump with split loom on it. The split loom will hide the leaks if it's in the hose like mine was. As soon as I removed the loom and we cranked the steering wheel with the engine running, 3 pinholes spouted steering fluid like a squirt gun.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:59 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Got it now. Will check tomorrow. Rain should be over and I can take it for a spin.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:08 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Not sure about C5's, but if the hard line (pressure line) connects to the pump with a flared end on the line, over tightening the hard line to the pump CAN crack the line at the flare under the nut. You will not see spray, but it will leak whenever the pump is turning. You cannot see the crack as it is under the nut and "O"-ring.

This is true on C4's for sure. Do NOT over tighten a flare fitting.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:41 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Got everything cleaned and back together and drove to work today. Will look at it tomorrow to see if anything shows up.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:21 PM
rbl
Drifting

Hate it when these threads die without the benefit of a solution so others will have a jump off point.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help finding P/S pump leak.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:31 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

So do I, and I am usually pretty good about posting results. Unfortunately, I have only driven my car once since Thursday (rain), and nothing has leaked to where I can see it. I was going to drive it again today, but the battery was dead this morning. Will replace tonite as battery is 5 1/2 yrs old. I will post what I find. Tried to remove the one loom covering hose to where steering shaft goes into rack, but could not. I am guessing that will be where the lead is lol!! Will update what I find.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:13 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

OK, I cleaned everything up and got it nice and dry. After getting to drive car for a couple of days, this is all I found again on the passenger side axle boot:

[IMG][/IMG]

All the other connections are still clean. Time to repl axle boot? I did not see anything above it that could be dripping onto it. Where/what do you guys use for repl - OEM?
Old 04-27-2014, 11:42 PM
froggy47
Race Director

If the boot is that wet, you probably have a blown seal in the rack, replacing the boot won't fix that.

Quick Reply: Need help finding P/S pump leak.