Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c6 enclosed trailer tie down

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 05:38 PM
Kengsxr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c6 enclosed trailer tie down

So, it is time to track the C6, I have a 24' enclosed trailer, and I am leaning towards using the "Through the Wheel" type straps to tie the car down in the trailer, any horror stories or other ideas without major updates to the trailer? It does not have e-track, just 6 tie points.
Thanks
Old 04-14-2014, 06:00 PM
ProjectWJ
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kengsxr
So, it is time to track the C6, I have a 24' enclosed trailer, and I am leaning towards using the "Through the Wheel" type straps to tie the car down in the trailer, any horror stories or other ideas without major updates to the trailer? It does not have e-track, just 6 tie points.
Thanks
I use these (t hook with ring):
http://www.bimmertools.com/t-hooks-p/11-7a-lba.htm

Old 04-14-2014, 10:59 PM
Kengsxr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProjectWJ
are the access points close to the front/rear? I dont want to jack up the car to tie it down..
Old 04-14-2014, 11:54 PM
ProjectWJ
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

They hook into the slots on the frame rails (jacking points)
behind the front wheels and in front of the rears. You can also roll up onto a board or two if you need more clearance.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:33 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

For the last 14 years I have used the "Through the Wheels" method to tie down the corvette. I have criss-crossed the rear and staight ahead for the front. for the first several years I would mark the tires on the floor and sometimes drove 600-1000 miles to events. Not once did the tires move at any location. Many years ago when I was pulling an open trailer I came across an article in Circle Track magazine where they compared the various methods of tie downs including shipping location, axles, a-arms, over the wheels and through the wheels. Over the wheels was best and through the wheels was next. In an open trailer it is easy to go over the wheels, but a real chore doing it in an enclosed one.

Today you will see many auto companies are now requiring cars to be shipped by the over the wheel tiedown method and fewer using the old frame rail method.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:50 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,730 Likes on 935 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Keep in mind though, while you are not driving the car, you are still putting miles on the shocks. If you have expensive ones you certainly want to minimize that. Strapping to the chassis helps keep the chassis from bouncing.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:43 PM
12zo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I have tied down cars through the wheels for nine years. No issues. I cross the front and rear, car in neutral and ebrake on.
While my Vette is new to me, I was happy to see it fit well in my 24' enclosed and allow with relative ease the access to run straps through the wheels.
Regarding the shocks working, I just don't buy it personally.
Probably depends on the trailer.
Mine has so little movement inside it with the length and weight and four big wheels that I can store boxes inside that often never even slide at all.
I usually carry apparel to events in bigger boxes and never see them move. I place them so that if they slide they'd slide into the crossed straps vs rub the car but they never move.
I really don't think the trailer moves enough to ever do much of anything to the shocks. Very minor movement at worst.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:19 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

One thing you should check is the distance between the bottom of the driver's door to the ground with the door opened out about 16". If your trailer has interior wheel wells, you will want to be able to open the door so that it goes over the top of the wheelwells. Otherwise it's NASCAR-style exit and entry

The interior wheelwells on my trailer are about 11" high and stick out about 8". For my '87 I use Race Ramp's Trailer-mates for the front wheels and some 12"x12" x3/4" wood pads for the rear wheels. This allows me to open the door for access. The Race Ramps don't move at all even towing the trailer when empty and they are sitting on the floor.

For my /02 (it's lowered on the factory bolts) I have to add 2x12's to the ramps for additional clearance at the doors.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:54 PM
DocGuy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by ProjectWJ
Do these work well. I am driving out and trailering my C7 back in Mar. Have a 27 foot enclosed trailer, just trying to find the best tie down option.

Doc
Old 09-03-2014, 08:56 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
Keep in mind though, while you are not driving the car, you are still putting miles on the shocks. If you have expensive ones you certainly want to minimize that. Strapping to the chassis helps keep the chassis from bouncing.
Never really thought about that before. I do use the J hooks, though.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,073 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by daveguy68
Do these work well. I am driving out and trailering my C7 back in Mar. Have a 27 foot enclosed trailer, just trying to find the best tie down option.

Doc
They work great. As well as frame mounted tie down points on a racing car. The car does not move.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:16 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by daveguy68

Doc
ALthough I have C6 I've used that type of frame hook several times.
Problem I alway ran into is the ratchet of the strap would always land right under the front bumper of the vette. Always making it a pain to cinch it down. Make sure on your trailer that the tie down points are out far enough in front so you dont have the issue
Old 09-04-2014, 01:29 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/pr...-hook/TieDowns
Old 09-04-2014, 01:52 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,073 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
Thanks! Nice find.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:03 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Macs makes awesome stuff! For those that want special stuff made they do custom work and their prices are awesome and they often turn the stuff next day! I had them make a custom length tow strap with T hooks (as pictured above) on the ends for me. Now when trailering I set up my ramps, clip the tow strap to the wench cord, pull the cord out to the end of the ramps and lay each side of the tow strap out in a V (so that I roll over the straps and the t-hooks are not under the car. Then you just drive the car up to the base of the ramps, jump out, clip the t-hooks into the frame rail on both side and wench your car into the trailer and then tie it down. From start to finish it literally takes minutes to get my car loaded into the trailer!

Get notified of new replies

To c6 enclosed trailer tie down

Quick Reply: c6 enclosed trailer tie down