Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

critical damping and shaker rigs

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 02:33 PM
briannutter1
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default critical damping and shaker rigs

Does anyone has some good calculator/simulator programs for looking at critical damping at 1-10+ inch/sec.

With the help of some forum members, I've compiled calculations for wheel rates, frequencies, weights, and shock dyno graphs...leading me deeper down the rabbit hole. I realize it may not make me and my C5Z faster, but I'd like to learn about it nonetheless.

Also, not that I can afford it, but does anyone have experience on a 4 or 7 post shaker rig? How did it relate to your measurements/calculations/testing/times?

Anything PM'd will not be redistributed.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:10 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

There are now 8-post rigs. This is the way to go if you're serious. The minimum charge will be aorund $5,000 a day. That doesn't include getting there and all the usual travel bills. The first time you might want to book two days. Just ask Ohilns about what they think you might need. You could very well need to buy a few new sensors as well.

The biggest problem is the analysis and how sharp your team engineer is with data. It's just as easy to go backwards as it is to go forward. Just because you have a lot of data to look at it doesn't mean you car will get faster. You might consider hiring a geek if your engineer is new to shaker tests.

Richard Newton
Car Tech Stuff
Old 04-18-2014, 10:27 PM
briannutter1
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep thats what i figured. I did a day in the a2 windtunnel and the best way to do that is to have everything hinged and quick fastened to go through as many configurations as possible. The 8 post would be similar in terms of having a variety of springs ready to swap. Valving would be a similar thing, but the problem i see there is the click that works at 2-3"sec would be wrong at 8-10-etc. at least it might allow you to paint a picture of what the perfect curve would look like so it could be valved to that.

Get notified of new replies

To critical damping and shaker rigs

Quick Reply: critical damping and shaker rigs