Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag radial tires: safe age question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 07:19 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Drag radial tires: safe age question

At what age do you guys think it's no longer safe to run Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials? I just bought a used set that the seller stated in the ad that were "about 2 years old". Unfortunately, I didn't ask for the date codes or look at the code when I picked them up. When I got them home, I see that the date codes say that the tires were built in the 29th week of 2008 (2908) making them about 6 years old. The seller said he only used the tires about 300 miles on the street with no burn outs and the tires do look barely worn. But, they do have some micro cracking down in the groove of the tread. Are these tires safe to use while drag racing on a 550 rwhp car with 130 mph trap speeds?
Old 04-22-2014, 11:35 AM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I just wanted to post my findings to the MT drag radial age question in case anyone in the future had the same question. I contacted MT tech support and they said that after 2 years the compounds start changing in the tires and they start to lose their performance. He also said that in my case with the micro-cracking at the bottom of the tread grooves, the tires were not safe for street driving or drag racing. I will throw these tires away and buy some brand new ones.

Quick Reply: Drag radial tires: safe age question