Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pfadt JOC vs DRM revalved Bilsteins for daily driver/ occasion HPDE?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 01:00 AM
Chris Edwards
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Pfadt JOC vs DRM revalved Bilsteins for daily driver/ occasion HPDE?

Hey all, I have the opportunity to purchase a new set of DRM Bilsteins. I currently have the JOC package installed (sways and shocks). I understand that the JOC kit is a complete/ engineered package. Would installing the DRM shocks and retaining the JOC swaybars unbalance the car, or disrupt the "harmony" of the JOC system? I will be running 305/325 Conti scrubs at the track and I'm wondering how the JOC kit will work with the stickier tires... I've read the Pfadt shocks are somewhat soft under hard braking when running slick tires?
Old 04-22-2014, 05:30 AM
turbrorx7
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The DRM's are valved with the stock C5Z springs in mind. Unless you're running different springs then you should be fine. I've got the DRM's and am happy with them.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:16 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm also extremely happy with my DRM Bilsteins. The nice added bonus for you if you make the switch is that they are rebuildable when the time comes.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Not sure you will see that much difference if any at all. The JOC shocks are engineered to provide more performance as are the DRM shocks. I suspect a shock dyno read out would not show that much difference between the two.

Bill
Old 04-23-2014, 08:16 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I just did exactly what you are asking about on my '04 Z. I had the Johnny O'Connell package and then switched to the DRM shocks. I track mostly at Sebring in the Advanced Group and run Continental slicks in 285/305. Sebring is very bumpy as anyone who has driven it knows. I found the Johnny OConnell shocks to be pretty good although a tad soft under braking and the car still rolled slightly.

The DRM's are supposed to be around 20% stiffer than the OConnell's I believe. I found the car to ride better on the road and handle better on the road course. I was surprised at the difference they made to be honest. I wasn't expecting much but felt the car was more stable with less roll and less brake dive. I picked up some slight time at Sebring the last time I went out as I was able to push it harder. For the money I think they are great.

I would recommend it and I didn't find anything unbalanced in the least. I found it to handle even better.

The only thing that stinks about them is it takes forever to get them.

Last edited by JeremyGSU; 04-23-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:49 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've always heard the DRM's were a better shock, especially now with Pfadt out of business. I bought Jeremy's old JOC's (haven't run them yet) but ultimately plan to buy the DRM Bilstein's when the next batch of them comes in.

Get notified of new replies

To Pfadt JOC vs DRM revalved Bilsteins for daily driver/ occasion HPDE?

Quick Reply: Pfadt JOC vs DRM revalved Bilsteins for daily driver/ occasion HPDE?