Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wilwood H pad users

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 10:24 AM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Wilwood H pad users

I am considering replacing my stock front calipers (with HP+ pads) to W6A's and H pads, leaving the rears stock with HP+. My only concern is whether the H's will overpower the Michelin Super Sports I use. For those that use the H pads, do you think this combo would be problematic?

Reading the Cf/temp graph on the TCE site suggests the B pads might be an alternative if the H pads are too much for the MPSS'. However, I haven't seen much on the forum re: the B pads and I assume that's the case because few who upgrade the calipers for HPDE do so and stay on street tires. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated as well.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:05 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I have used A, B, and H Wiwloods over the years in various cars (C4/C5). I never used the H with Michelin Super Sports, or any street tire for that matter. I could be wrong, but my initial thought is that the B would be your best option.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:11 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default pads

I would not use "H"pads. "B"'s will work better with street tires.

Todd (TCE) is the guru in reference to Wilwood products. He has always steered me to make the right decisions when I was racing with Wilwoods.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:57 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with JR. They'd probably be fine with Pilot Sport Cups.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:56 AM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by J.R.
I would not use "H"pads. "B"'s will work better with street tires.

Todd (TCE) is the guru in reference to Wilwood products. He has always steered me to make the right decisions when I was racing with Wilwoods.
Thanks. I plan to buy from TCE.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:16 AM
wtb-z
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I am on a set of H pads on the stock C5 caliper and street tires. They seem OK so far, no drama.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:01 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

TCE knows more than me but I run the H pad with NT01s and I'm happy. My car is a race car only.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:03 AM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default pads

I think that Todd's evaluation has to do with the best pad for the environment you are using them in. The "H" pads will work but if you are using the "H"'s within their designed temp ranges the 'B"'s will probably be a more effective pad with street tire.

The only way to tell if you are using pads within their designed temp limits is with a temp strip (not too expensive) or you might get close with a laser, as long as you don't have too much cool down time.

When I was running Wilwoods front and rear, on a dedicated race car, I had to actually switch to B and C's on rear because the "H"'s on the rear, at proper temp actually overpowered the bias setup. Todd solved that one with one phone call. Note - I did not have a brake bias or proportioning valve on that setup.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:40 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

I prefer to start guys on the B pad as they are both less costly and have a lower Cf. The B pad seems to pair well and last reasonably long on "performance street tire" cars and be easier to modulate. When the tire grip goes up you can do the same with the pads. Not to say you cannot stay with the B pads but you may find yourself running them too hot and pushing more line pressure than needed due to the lower Cf-thus you need to clamp harder.

A note however on B: they are not and should not be used on the street. They will wear quickly and chew rotors when too cool. Not good.

Get notified of new replies

To Wilwood H pad users

Quick Reply: Wilwood H pad users