Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Race Seats for My 99 C5,,,which to buy?

Old 04-27-2014, 10:27 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Default Need Race Seats for My 99 C5,,,which to buy?

I've owned Sparco EVO II before and shoulder bolster rubbed on door. That car is crashed and gone. Now converting my street C5 into HPDE/street car and need recommendations for seats. I'm looking at both the Sparco EVO and the Corbeau FX1 Pro. I'm planning side mounts with sliders. I noticed the Corbeau FX1 Pro has a threaded stud on the back center of the seat for support, is that an added feature or does the Corbeau require a back mount/support for lack of rigidity? The Sparco EVO is basically $800 and the Corbeau around $350, if the Corbeau is as rigid as the Sparco I will save money and opt for Corbeau. If the Corbeau requires back mount/support for rigidity I need to factor that in my decision. Safety first priority, just asking for some experienced drivers opinions on which seat and why. If there are other seats I should consider please advise. Thanks In Advance.

I'll write a thread on my conversion later when time is available, now I'm doing my best to have car track ready asap.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:07 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like the Corbeau FX does not have the proper FIA certifications, and needs a back brace for most race series. Hence the threaded post in the back of the seat. In that case you will need at least a half cage to mount the seat brace.

Last edited by Hat_Trick_Hokie; 04-28-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:34 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you for the info: "It looks like the Corbeau FX does not have the proper FIA certifications". That answers all my questions of why they are much less expensive. Guess I'll start shopping for a good deal on Sparco EVO's. I am 6' tall and concerned if harness "pass through" will be shoulder level or above on the Evo. I'll call Sparco today to get this answered and get plan in motion. Thanks Again.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:22 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
I am 6' tall and concerned if harness "pass through" will be shoulder level or above on the Evo. I'll call Sparco today to get this answered and get plan in motion. Thanks Again.
Remember to also take into account the added height of any head/neck restraint you will be using.

Look to the EVO II, it has a taller back with higher shoulder belt slots (formerly called the EVO 2 Plus). I use these in my street/HPDE C5, and fit well as a 6'1" 200lb guy.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:51 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bimarco is a Polish company, they have FIA seats and a good reputation, but the price is more in line with the Corbeau's you're looking at.

http://www.bimarco.pl/index_en.php?id=fotele

Last edited by LateBreak; 05-01-2014 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Polish, not Swedish....
Old 04-28-2014, 12:22 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

One more thing you might want to consider: There is a "new" FIA seat standard as of 2009. From my research, the Evo meets the FIA 1999 spec but not the 2009. Why might you be interested? According to the NASA rules, the 2009 seats are good for 10 years before needing a back brace rather than the 5 years of the 1999 seats. See here:

Seat Back Support
A seatback support must be made to hold the seat from going back in the event of a crash. A plate should be used to distribute the load. No bolts, corners, or sharp objects should be placed in such a manner that could lead to a possible puncture of the driver in a high impact crash. Seat back support need not be attached to the seat itself. Proper design and installation is crucial to safety and it is recommended that the driver employ the services of a professional race car builder for this, as well as all other vehicle safety items. An exception maybe made for those seats homologated to, and mounted in accordance with, FIA 8855-1999 or 8862-2009 standards. Those seats that qualify for the aforementioned exception must conform to the entire FIA 8855-1999 or 8862-2009 set of regulations, as applicable. This includes a mandatory seat replacement, or use of a seat back brace, for any seat more than five (5) years old (8855-1999) or more than ten (10) years old (8862-2009). Please reference the FIA regulations.
http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

I don't know which or how many seats out there are approved for the 2009 spec. And I realize you said for a street/HPDE car but I thought you might want to know.

Last edited by MySR71; 04-28-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:19 PM
DScamp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should try out Cobra. I have the Suzuka's and they are the best seats that I've ever had. The sides are taller, providing a lot more support than my Evo 2's. Also, the shoulder straps come through higher than the Sparcos and Recaros.
I've had Sparco Sprints/Evo/Evo2, Recaro Pole Position...but the Cobras are by far the best imo.
Also Cobras are Kevlar and not fiberglass like the Evos
Old 04-28-2014, 07:28 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DScamp
You should try out Cobra. I have the Suzuka's and they are the best seats that I've ever had. The sides are taller, providing a lot more support than my Evo 2's. Also, the shoulder straps come through higher than the Sparcos and Recaros.
I've had Sparco Sprints/Evo/Evo2, Recaro Pole Position...but the Cobras are by far the best imo.
Also Cobras are Kevlar and not fiberglass like the Evos
I spoke to someone on the phone about an hour ago and they mentioned they had a set of used Cobras for sale at their shop. My primary contact was not in at the time so I don't yet know if they are the Suzukas or how much they are selling for. Will find out tomorrow and post back findings. They did say that the owner of the car they came out of was very particular so that sounds promising. Thanks for the input.

Forgot to ask, were they in a C5 or other? If C5 how did they fit the car?

Last edited by NemesisC5; 04-28-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:37 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LateBreak
Bimarco is a Swedish company, they have FIA seats and a good reputation, but the price is more in line with the Corbeau's you're looking at.

http://www.bimarco.pl/index_en.php?id=fotele
I looked on their website but no US distributors listed, do you know of one?
Old 04-28-2014, 07:44 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MySR71
One more thing you might want to consider: There is a "new" FIA seat standard as of 2009. From my research, the Evo meets the FIA 1999 spec but not the 2009. Why might you be interested? According to the NASA rules, the 2009 seats are good for 10 years before needing a back brace rather than the 5 years of the 1999 seats. See here:

I don't know which or how many seats out there are approved for the 2009 spec. And I realize you said for a street/HPDE car but I thought you might want to know.
I'm not planning on racing but interested in FIA standard for personal safety reasons only. I totaled my 02 C5z and want to cull what may not be up to par. I don't require the best but want a good value as safety is concerned.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:53 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Hat_Trick_Hokie
Remember to also take into account the added height of any head/neck restraint you will be using.

Look to the EVO II, it has a taller back with higher shoulder belt slots (formerly called the EVO 2 Plus). I use these in my street/HPDE C5, and fit well as a 6'1" 200lb guy.
I had the EVO 2 Plus in my 02 C5z 5 years ago and the shoulder bolsters rubbed my doors. The current EVO II is slightly narrower and will better fit a C5. Doing my homework now so hopefully no buyers remorse later.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:54 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MySR71

Thank you for the information.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:04 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Seat braces don't have to be expensive there are several DIY braces that have been documented on the forum over the years and all of them can meet the NASA rules listed above. I have Ultrashield aluminum seats using I/O Port seat braces. The braces were mounted to the roll bar in my C5Z and I have them mounted to the Sharkbar in my C6Z. The seats were 17 inches wide and fit nicely in the C5 with a small space between them and the door.

Cost of seat w cover and the seat brace should be somewhere in the $450 range.

Bill
Old 04-30-2014, 12:35 AM
DScamp
Instructor

I spoke to someone on the phone about an hour ago and they mentioned they had a set of used Cobras for sale at their shop. My primary contact was not in at the time so I don't yet know if they are the Suzukas or how much they are selling for. Will find out tomorrow and post back findings. They did say that the owner of the car they came out of was very particular so that sounds promising. Thanks for the input.

Forgot to ask, were they in a C5 or other? If C5 how did they fit the car?
Yes, they are in my c5z. They fit better than the evo2's and do not hit the door panel. They are touching the center console though.

I forgot to mention that I have the GT version, which are a tad bigger and fit my child bearing hips. They are mounted on hardbar brackets.

The following users liked this post:
SkinS (04-23-2020)
Old 04-30-2014, 03:54 AM
mnmthoele
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Try soloperformance.com for Bimarco seats. Unfortunately they drop ship most of their seats, and since Bimarco are actually from Poland, they take some time to get delivered.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:42 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

They're on ebay directly from Bimarco
Old 04-30-2014, 10:07 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks everyone for your advice. I found a pair of used "in great condition" Cobra Suzukas with side brackets and sliders for a good price.

Next up is harnesses. In my 02 C5z I had a TeamTech Rampac I got a good deal on used and was fine with it however I'm eventually going with a HANS device and not sure if they are compatible. The area I live in does not have any race shops so needing advice on safety, comfort and price. Please share some opinions on what you consider meets the above criteria. I looked online and below are a couple harnesses that appeared to be good equipment at fair prices. Having to purchase 2 of everything this time around so trying for good value/price. Please share your opinions of the ones below or other you would recommend.

Racequip 6 Point $189

Standard Features Include...
-Lightweight 165 gram Magnesium Alloy Cam Buckle
-Exceeds Stringent FIA 8853/98 Standard
-Surpasses SFI 16.1 Rating
-6 Point Design
-Pull Down Lap Belt Adjusters
-Wide Engagement Cone For Easy Snap In
-Precise Spring Pressure for a Positive Feel
-Heavy-Duty Drop-Forged Steel Hardware (Installed)
-Bolt-in Mounting (hardware can be removed for wrap around mounting)
-Premium 3" Proprietary Blend Webbing
-Transverse Mono Filament Woven
-Increased Strength and Smoother Edges
-Premium Aluminum Shoulder Adjusters
-Can be Re-webbed Upon Expiration
-Available in Black, Red, and Blue

Schroth Clubman III Harness Belt $219/ea

Schroth has released their newest belt, the Clubman III, with one aim... providing a superior harness for people needing a lower cost belt. By using less expensive adjusters, and only providing a few different configuration, they were able to bring the cost down.

This 6 point competition harness belt has 3" webbing, pull-up or pull-down adjustment on the lap belt, snap-in or bolt-in lap belt mounting, and is SFI 16.1 and FIA approved. Black only.

Standard Features Include:
-3" webbing
-Pull-up or pull-down lap belt adjustment
-Bolt-in mounting hardware on lap belts
-Sub belts will have same mounting hardware as lap belts
-Wrap around shoulder belts
-SFI 16.1 and FIA approved
-HANS device compatible

Thanks in advance for your opinions and perspectives.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Race Seats for My 99 C5,,,which to buy?

Old 04-30-2014, 10:57 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had several harnesses. After using and trying others in other track and race cars, I decided on Schroth as my favorite. All of the belts will keep you in place if mounted correctly, but what sold me was that their hardware was easier to operate. This is mostly tightening the belts and a smoother release to loosen the belts before you release the latch
Old 05-02-2014, 04:50 PM
BryanPendleton
Instructor

Just got through shopping and purchasing seat for my C5. I settled on the Cobra Imolas. They fit in the car beautifully, with tunnel clearance and door panel clearance. Head clearance is iffy depending on your height and mounting hardware. I am nearly 6'1" and I had to scrap the seat slider to gain the helmet clearance. I narrowed by choices down to the Corbeaux FX1 Pro (fia-rated) seat, Sparco Evo seat, OMP ARS and Cobra Imola. Sizing is comparable on most of these, as I tried out all but the OMP seat. I prefered the fit and the Cobra, and the Cobra build quality and material choices just seemed better than the Sparco, and much better than the Corbeaux. If budget is an issue, then the Corbeaux is a good choice. Ultimately I would choose fit over form though.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:54 PM
BryanPendleton
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joy of 6
I have had several harnesses. After using and trying others in other track and race cars, I decided on Schroth as my favorite. All of the belts will keep you in place if mounted correctly, but what sold me was that their hardware was easier to operate. This is mostly tightening the belts and a smoother release to loosen the belts before you release the latch
Ditto. I spent the extra coin on Schroth myself, after having used several other brands in endurance racing. Schroth T-handles and smoothness makes tightening the waist harness soooo easy.

Nothing worse than struggling to tighten the waist harness, as waist comes first, and if you can't get it snug, tightening the other belts can screw up the waist position.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Race Seats for My 99 C5,,,which to buy?