Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey HPDE organizers, how about Talladega?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 12:46 PM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Default Hey HPDE organizers, how about Talladega?

I've done a few HPDE events with several organizing bodies and am very familiar with the tracks they offer, but I've yet to find one that rents Talladega super speedway tri oval. I ran this idea by Henry at PDG (Since I like they way he runs his events best) and his answer was he sticks with what he knows best - Florida. Makes sense to me. But with hopes that some HPDE brass is reading this, I thought I'd throw this out there.

I know this track can be rented for parade laps, as I've driven around it. I know precisely what it costs to rent Daytona per day and from what I've heard Talladega is cheaper, although I can't confirm it. What I don't know is if anyone has tried to rent it for a HPDE event with the same rules and groups as all other tracks.

No bus stop, no infield. Just the go pedal.

I'd be the first to sign up. Who else would like to see this event happen?
Old 04-28-2014, 12:49 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i dont know ... roundy round in a car without a cage ... not sure that's a good idea. I know if I did it I would not go full out. certainly would be fun though.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:46 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Treaded street tires on a high speed tri-oval? There is a reason no one is doing HPDEs in that manner. The tires won't last.

I have seen lots of corded and blown tires at the Charlotte, Nashville, and Daytona rovals. Most of those were Hoosiers, not even street tires. Some with catastrophic results.

I can understand your enthusiasm, but I can't imagine what a handful of hot laps on an unrestrained oval would do to the outside tires of an un-roundyround-prepped car.

Get notified of new replies

To Hey HPDE organizers, how about Talladega?

Quick Reply: Hey HPDE organizers, how about Talladega?