Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I assume this won't work...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 02:13 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Default I assume this won't work...

Has anyone setup a 15 inch wheel on a c5 for road racing so that the cheap bias ply tires could be used. If this idea is terrible, I blame beer. Could a steel 15 wheel be made so that racing on new slicks goes from 400 to 500 bucks a wheel to 600 bucks a set; that is the idea.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:42 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by crimlwC6
Has anyone setup a 15 inch wheel on a c5 for road racing so that the cheap bias ply tires could be used. If this idea is terrible, I blame beer. Could a steel 15 wheel be made so that racing on new slicks goes from 400 to 500 bucks a wheel to 600 bucks a set; that is the idea.
It's the beer...the C5/C6 were designed by some pretty smart engineers to work with geometry/suspension designed for 17 & 18 inch radials. If you want pretty grippy 100 dollar tires buy some World Challenge take offs from some of the vendors here.

If you want the wonderful experience of pounding over curbs without upsetting the car, four wheel drifting through high speed corners, hanging the tail out while squealing with delight, get yourself an ex ASA GTA type car and go have a ball. Or even better if you got the bucks, build a TA2 Camaro or Mustang.

I am having Bemco build me a modern tube frame chassis, with a 1969 C3 roadster body , 600 HP SBC, Jerico tranny racer, so I can have my Corvette and Bias ply tire fix at the same time.

Seriously though, I think you can get some 15x10 Americans with 4 3/4 pattern. You could use Hoosier Modified tires 15x10 and 15x12, they are like 25" tall. Will they clear your brakes/suspension...that is the question. The better idea is the ASA car.

Last edited by bosco022; 04-29-2014 at 05:35 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:33 AM
Gas Junkie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crimlwC6
The brakes won't fit within a 15 inch wheel.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:59 AM
millstreet
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bosco022
It's the beer...the C5/C6 were designed by some pretty smart engineers to work with geometry/suspension designed for 17 & 18 inch radials. If you want pretty grippy 100 dollar tires buy some World Challenge take offs from some of the vendors here.

If you want the wonderful experience of pounding over curbs without upsetting the car, four wheel drifting through high speed corners, hanging the tail out while squealing with delight, get yourself an ex ASA GTA type car and go have a ball. Or even better if you got the bucks, build a TA2 Camaro or Mustang.

I am having Bemco build me a modern tube frame chassis, with a 1969 C3 roadster body , 600 HP SBC, Jerico tranny racer, so I can have my Corvette and Bias ply tire fix at the same time.

Seriously though, I think you can get some 15x10 Americans with 4 3/4 pattern. You could use Hoosier Modified tires 15x10 and 15x12, they are like 25" tall. Will they clear your brakes/suspension...that is the question. The better idea is the ASA car.
there's a reason the vehicular world moved away from bias ply tires 40+ years ago, radial tires work better. The GTA and TA2 classes use these tires as a limiting factor, to make the racing more driver centric, and less $ centric, Now beer, on the other hand, still works well

Andy
Old 04-29-2014, 11:45 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To I assume this won't work...

Quick Reply: I assume this won't work...