Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use octane booster for Track days ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 10:24 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Anyone use octane booster for Track days ?

Just curious. I just use 93 octane.

But if you do use octane booster, what brand, how much, what are your results?

In case I wanted to try it out in the future.

Does it require and additional maintenance of the fuel system?
Old 05-02-2014, 02:48 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Not I.

I am tuned for 93 (conservative) and use 93 from the track (so I know its 93)

all the margin for error I think I need.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:01 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Don't waste your $$. Octane boost only needed for very high compression or race engines highly modified.
Stay with the 93.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:02 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Not going to say it is pointless...but it isn't far off.

Even if you get the really trick stuff it will only boost it .5 to .7 of a point..so you would have 93.7 octane in the car.

I will say running at least a small mix of race gas in the car is never a bad thing, just keep it the unleaded flavor. I generally always like having a 20-30% mix of say 100 octane for nothing else than some added protection. Your not doing it for HP, but keeping some knock at bay when it is under load and the temps are hot outside, it will help.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:20 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

until the methheads caused the price of xylene/toluene to go through the roof you could put that stuff in, mixed with a smidge of ATF (to lube fuel pump). But we're talking gallons needed. 2 gals of xylene (117 octane) in 8 gals of 91 would give 96. Those quart bottles don't do anything really. These days I just buy race gas as need.

another option is E85, but they you lose energy density.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:53 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Doing back to back data logs, I did see knock disappear using Torco.

I use 1/2 a can per tank as insurance against the alcohol crap fuel and hot temps.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:37 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to run 93 + Torco accelerator in my VW GTI with a 100 octane tune to great results on the track. Bone stock car on street tires with no modifications but the 100 octane tune ran 2:20 at Watkins Glen.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:26 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by troyguitar
I used to run 93 + Torco accelerator in my VW GTI with a 100 octane tune to great results on the track. Bone stock car on street tires with no modifications but the 100 octane tune ran 2:20 at Watkins Glen.
Torco is the only legit product out there.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:45 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I use Torco. Works great.

Look up jbsblownC5 on this forum. He's sales it.

Steve
Old 05-03-2014, 07:09 PM
CanadianVetster
Drifting

Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

Without a tune for the higher octane there is next to no value.
Slight boost to help out when temps go up is never bad.
Best obtained boost is with a mix of some race fuel in part because you know the octane before you start.
But marginal gain if you are looking for more power. My 2cents
Old 05-03-2014, 09:12 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am with Anthony ... I do a mix on some hot days just to make me feel better i may be up to 50/50 sometimes ... never thought the bottle stuff would do enough to make a difference. (I lost a motor due to knock so just like to make sure its never there)
Old 05-05-2014, 08:01 AM
Feffman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

A couple of guys who run with us do a 50/50 mix of 104 unleaded and 93 unleaded and speak highly of it.

Feff
Old 05-13-2014, 01:51 AM
sbcbuilder
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mixing fuel is a very exact science if you want total performance. I know as I did this for a living. We were hired to develop an additive that would reduce air pollution in both passenger cars and big trucks. We tested gas from North America ( four distinct blends for different seasons), Mexico (the worst gas I have ever worked with) and a few south american countries. All this was verified by techanical schools all over north america. The shcools were give jugs of gas marked sample 1 etc and they hooked there smog testers and ran hundreds of tests. At the same time I gave our additive to many racers to try out. Now many of these had specific rules as to what additivers they could use. Ours was built in such a way as to blend with any fuel and not show up ion the testing equipment most sanctioning bodies used. Every one had improvements. We tested this in motorbikes, go karts as well. To make a long story short most octane additives on the shelf show very little improvements if your engine is not set up for high octane fuel. With today's camshaft profiles it is not hard to build a very high horsepower engine and run pump gas. The racing gas available today is a vast improvement what we had 20 years ago. I used my job to fund my passion for racing and at the same time help the environment as in the testing with semi trailer trucks that had over 1 million miles on them we reduced the black smoke to zero. Average mileage increase in cars without pollution controls was as high as 25%.

You may ask what was the final outcome of this project? The NAFTA act was passed and soon after that all funding ceased because they got what they wanted - a paper fooling the public saying they had a handle on air pollution. I argued with many people saying "How can you produce a engine that puts out no emissions when the very air that the engine is breathing is polluted?"

Remember that adding oxygen to the fuel will help combustion. We used to bubble filtered oxygen into the fuel cell for 8 hours. Now you can get high oxygen fuels from various vendors.

If your going to use additives do this trick to aid in mixing the fuels together but run the air thru a high capacity fuel filter to take out any water.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone use octane booster for Track days ?

Quick Reply: Anyone use octane booster for Track days ?