Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Elbow is killing me I have to be doing something wrong

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 09:48 AM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Elbow is killing me I have to be doing something wrong

So at VIR this weekend yesterday my elbow started killing me when I came off track. Has anyone experienced this what am I doing wrong, I'm sure it's something simple I need to adjust.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:03 AM
morris
Drifting

On Hoosier r6's but still running the stock seats
Old 05-04-2014, 10:27 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
So at VIR this weekend yesterday my elbow started killing me when I came off track. Has anyone experienced this what am I doing wrong, I'm sure it's something simple I need to adjust.
Probably the wrong brake fluid ....
Old 05-04-2014, 10:33 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

If it's the left elbow, it's from bracing yourself against the door. My knee used to hurt for the same reason. Racing seats and harnesses solve the problem.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:47 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

On Hoosier r6's but still running the stock seats
possibly seat position are your arms bent at the elbows (about 45*) or are you driving with rms straight?
Old 05-04-2014, 11:27 AM
morris
Drifting

I think red top has something there, my elbows are about 45 degrees but I am probably bracing against the door more than in the past since I am driving a lot harder and there are a lot more corners on this track. Race seats are on order about 5 weeks hopefully that will fix it, I will just have to live with it for a while longer I guess. The really lousy part is that it is bad enough where I have to miss sessions before it subsides enough to go back on track.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:31 AM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey Morris, congrats on the decision to get some good seats. It's going to make a world of difference! What did you decide to go with?
Old 05-04-2014, 11:44 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

I think red top has something there, my elbows are about 45 degrees but I am probably bracing against the door more than in the past since I am driving a lot harder and there are a lot more corners on this track. Race seats are on order about 5 weeks hopefully that will fix it, I will just have to live with it for a while longer I guess. The really lousy part is that it is bad enough where I have to miss sessions before it subsides enough to go back on track.
Try some wrestling pads
Old 05-04-2014, 01:21 PM
morris
Drifting

Ron I actually got the Evo2 but they didn't fit me, now I have a set of racetech 4000w on order. They come from New Zealand or something like that hence the wait, but on paper they look like they should fit me and fit the car.

Ernie it's not the lack of padding it's almost as if I am bracing my elbow against the door like a lever, it's muscle pain from keeping the elbow tensed up and against the door, I confirmed it on the last session
Old 05-04-2014, 01:39 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a roll of the non-slip stuff for dishes in the cabinets at WalMart until you get your new seats. Cut one for the seat and one for the back. You won't slide around in the seat anymore.

Knee pads work wonders as well in helping to stabilize so you can push a bit on the door and console.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:45 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ever try something like this?

http://www.soloperformance.com/SPS-U...ss_p_1279.html

On my C5 I just ratchet the seatbelt down as tight as I possibly can and that takes care of most of it, not sure if C6 can do the same.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:40 PM
morris
Drifting

Hmmm that strap seems like an injury waiting to happen but then I'm a nervous nelly I might give the cabinet liners a shot though.

The c6 belt lets you lock it down tight to minimize movement and I do use that feature.

Thanks everyone
Old 05-04-2014, 05:28 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Distance of your seating position from the wheel can make a big difference, forcing you to use your shoulder/elbows more or less. You can try moving forward or backwards, telescope the wheel a bit, etc.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:44 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Relax. Fighting the car makes you slower but feels faster.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:18 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Ron I actually got the Evo2 but they didn't fit me, now I have a set of racetech 4000w on order. They come from New Zealand or something like that hence the wait, but on paper they look like they should fit me and fit the car.

Ernie it's not the lack of padding it's almost as if I am bracing my elbow against the door like a lever, it's muscle pain from keeping the elbow tensed up and against the door, I confirmed it on the last session
Good choice, in one of your older threads I mentioned the Racetech 4009W's that I had. They fit me perfect so I think they will work well for you too!
Old 05-04-2014, 09:34 PM
morris
Drifting

Yep that's where I came up with the racetechs the Evo3 was going to be to short and wouldn't fit in the car without removing the paneling

Billy bob I ultimately wound up keeping my elbow off the door and did my best to relax my arms, I did feel a good bit of improvement.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:32 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I actually managed to wear the skin off both elbows to the point of bleeding before I got belts in my car. Once I was held in the seat, no more problems.

Since my car is a street/track car I have also installed padded arm rests on the doors as well as a padded center console. Much better for street driving. You can get padded center consoles cheap, but the leather padded arm rests were $70 each.

Dog

Get notified of new replies

To Elbow is killing me I have to be doing something wrong

Quick Reply: Elbow is killing me I have to be doing something wrong