Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caution on 1969 on eBay

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 12:17 AM
PreviousOwner
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Caution on 1969 on eBay

Fellow Forum members, please be wary of this ad/seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261591005393?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I have an unusual situation in that I have a deposit down on this car that is now listed on eBay. The Seller was supposedly going to be on the Pidgeon Forge Rod Run from 9/7 until 9/14, so, I didn't think too much about being in a "rush" to get an inspection done. Amazingly, it showed up on eBay when he's out of town. Hmmm.

I was trying to have the car inspected around the Labor Day holiday but had trouble arranging it that weekend due to the holiday. Flights were difficult/expensive as well. Long story, short, the seller told me NOT to send an inspector OR fly out to look at it. Just send the full purchase price via cashier's check. Well, obviously that wasn't going to happen. You'll see a thread in the C3 General section where I started asking for "eyes" on the ground in the area back around 9/5. Major concerns-NO trim tag for this rare combo, NOM motor, no clear title in his name, etc. Thought if I put eyes on it in person or via inspection, I could at least figure out if it was a true Black car and what the engine was out of. GA Bill of Sale with an apparent "floating" WV title. Not sure. Was going to look at it as well. Don't know if he ever tried to cash my deposit check but I dang sure haven't gotten it back. No animosity, just a car deal gone bad.

Oh, and at one point when I was setting up a potential inspection, there WAS a lift available, then that option went away once I got a hold of an inspection service. Just didn't get that warm, fuzzy feeling I'd like to have when possibly buying a car. Not accusing of any kind of scam, but, would be nice if he'd return my deposit check since he's offered the car for sale to the world.

Feel free to question him at will about the engine, lack of trim tag, mismatched interior, and lack of fender rub with a lowered front end.

Further details via p.m. if interested. Mods feel free to move or monitor the thread as necessary.

Best,
P.O.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:22 AM
bumperkar kid
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Run away & don't look back. it's not worth it.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:16 AM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 796 Likes on 447 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

May I ask a ?
With the market soft, and the abundance of cars out there in most local juridictions, why are you making it difficult for yourself?
Find a local car and look at it and inspect it several times.
Then go from there.
All this travel and scheduling and sending deposits seems like allot of busy work to me. Check Philly Craigs list right now, there ane several good cars right in my back yard. The travel, shipping and other extrianous work to buy a car outta state seems like a big waste of my time.
A car off ebay scares me.
Marshal
Old 09-15-2014, 06:18 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Call the bank, stop your check, and forget it. It happens. There are thieves out there that give good sellers a bad name.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:41 AM
tompugh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaseyJones
Call the bank, stop your check, and forget it. It happens. There are thieves out there that give good sellers a bad name.
The seller has '0' transactions on ebay, and hence no rating. I would not buy from this seller. Ebay trust is largely based on user ratings. Anything below 99% brings the seller or buyer into question.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:54 AM
gunnerja
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

and joined ebay on the 11th.....
Old 09-15-2014, 10:42 AM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

You certainly don't want to buy a car with a bad "brake buster" everything about this ad would make me want to take a pass.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:57 PM
PreviousOwner
Instructor

Hey Guys, just as further info:

The car was originally on CraigsList in Atlanta. After numerous texts, emails, and phone calls, we agreed on a price, and I sent a deposit and a bill of sale/contract subject to an inspection in person or by a 3rd party paid for by myself. The seller signed & sent the bill of sale back via scan & email while my deposit check & signed copy was in transit to him.

Things got dicey when I was arranging the 3rd party inspection. Again, it was over the Labor Day weekend and nobody was "laboring". It was going to take me a few days to get eyes on the car and the seller got pushy and retracted his offer to have a lift available.....insisting instead on me just sending the full purchase price having never seen the car. I don't play that game.

Oh well. I've stopped payment on the check, had no communication with the guy, and, was simply warning this forum that 1) The car may not be what it is represented to be 2) The seller may be less than forthright.

To the curious posters, yes, it was a "rare" (to me) Black over Tan 1969 with a Tan top. REALLY difficult to find. The fact that the trim tag was completely missing was a red flag, but, figured I could verify the true colors with a hands on viewing or by that of an independent inspector.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:31 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi PO,
E-Bay sale now ended!?!
I hope this doesn't sour you on finding a good car from a reliable seller.
I really think there are very good cars being sold by very good people.
You have to continue to be cautious and do your homework.
So many ads seem to be written by sellers hoping the buyer will be quite dumb.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 09-15-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:48 PM
PreviousOwner
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi PO,
E-Bay sale now ended!?!
I hope this doesn't sour you on finding a good car from a reliable seller.
I really think there are very good cars being sold by very good people.
You have to continue to be cautious and do your homework.
So many ads seem to be written by sellers hoping the buyer will be quite dumb.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Wow! Had no idea Alan. I guarantee ya he shot someone a low-ball price & they fell for it. He's in a bind for money. SOMEONE will overnight him a cashier's check (what he was trying to get me to do) and probably be disappointed. He also failed to mention that the car had been lowered, probably by having the front springs cut. I'd be surprised if it's not rubbing the fenders on the front and possibly the back.

Thanks all........
Old 09-15-2014, 06:28 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Whoever purchases a car with an apparent "floating" title from another state is simply asking for trouble. What if the title never shows up? Don't be fooled by the Vehicle Purchase Protection ebay puts out there in its auction. It's a joke. Good luck with your search.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:53 PM
PreviousOwner
Instructor

Originally Posted by John 65
Whoever purchases a car with an apparent "floating" title from another state is simply asking for trouble. What if the title never shows up? Don't be fooled by the Vehicle Purchase Protection ebay puts out there in its auction. It's a joke. Good luck with your search.
Yes, John. Wanted to see the Title in person too. I got sent a pic via email. WV title signed by previous owner? but not dated. A true "float". How does the buyer know it really even exists unless seen in person? GA only requires a "Bill of Sale" to sell certain aged cars. I couldn't even get a straight answer from my DMV on what I'd need to transfer title. Bonded Title? GA Bill of Sale? Just fill in the blanks on the WV title? Who knows?

Too messy. Didn't mind playing along as long as I could get there, or, get a paid 3rd party to look at everything. When he got snippety about that inspection is when things blew up. I wish whomever bought it would post here & let us know how it turned out.

Vin #194679S728022 for future reference (hope that's ok, mods).

Get notified of new replies

To Caution on 1969 on eBay

Quick Reply: Caution on 1969 on eBay