Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on this ZL1 clone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 07:43 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Thoughts on this ZL1 clone?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261629719614?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Seems like a very nice, and well put-together car.

Broker sent me very detailed specs and docs of the restoration. Complete owner history... certainly a NOM car, not original paint/interior car. It's a custom car that the builder/owner (who has passed away) built the way he wanted it. Built/Owned by George McNicholl... maybe some of you guys know who that is... I don't, but that doesn't mean anything. Looks like he's written a book on C3 restorations. ???

Specs on engine look nice. It is not a complete recreation of the ZL-1... aluminum block (540 cube), Edelbrock rectangle heads, GM hi-rise intake, Holley DP carb flowed to 990cfm, and a big hydraulic roller cam.

Car has only been driven about 25 miles in last 6 years. I don't know exactly what they would take for it, but I have a good idea of the ballpark.

So what do you guys see? (besides some shop dust from it sitting) Pros/cons of this car? I do not care about originality. Just want something solid and reliable that I can enjoy, with a good powerplant that can be driven.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:19 PM
pedec
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great if it goes for right price and depends on what reserve is set at.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:21 PM
pedec
Instructor

If you mind what is the ballpark price?
Old 10-17-2014, 08:47 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Low-$40s is asking.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:35 PM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing on this say "ZL-1" to me. All it is is a resto mod without some of the better resto mod parts out there! No big brakes, or a 5/6 speed. Ok it has polished everything and a pretty non OEM color. The general would have produced something akin to this. As a pure hot rod it's nice and surely worth the price if it's what you want! Not my the but.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:38 PM
pedec
Instructor

For that price looks like a win win. If all information is real. I have a 427/390hp 69 that was top flighted in 1992 and driven 5000 miles since, have all documentation like protect to plate original keys holder that I would be tempted to trade for it if I could. Mine is all stock and original but that car looks like it might be built right and be a load of fun.

Last edited by pedec; 10-17-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:35 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi WA,
There's really no reason to use the phrase "ZL-1 Clone" and this car in the same sentence. That's a real dis-service to the few people who have built ZL-1 cars.
It may be a well built car, but just because there are receipts for $117,000 that doesn't mean someone should fall for the 'clone' business.
I believe that the fact you think it can be had for 1/3 that amount is an indication of the truth about the car.
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-18-2014, 09:02 AM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Alan and others,

Totally agree and appreciate the fact ZL1 is an incorrect way to characterize it. Probably the only thing that connects this car to ZL1 clone is that they both have an aluminum block (but not a ZL1 block, at that), and maybe that the engine components produce a lot of power... but again, no ZL1 parts there, either. I'm personally glad it has a hyd roller valvetrain, for instance, for ease of maintenance compared to solid lifters.

So I get that, and am not looking at the car with the real understanding it is like a ZL1...even though that is how it is advertised.

The documentation of the build is literally down to rubber grommets and Grade 8 hardware used, so saying it is extensive would be a major understatement. The owner/builder passed away this past winter, I believe, and his widow is selling off his collection (I have verified this to be true). Thus, the drastically reduced price... although, I'm certainly aware that a restomod at this build level isn't going to command a ton of $$. I wouldn't even consider it at the original asking price a few months ago of $55k b/c it doesn't have things like a 5/6-speed trans, upgraded rear diff, upgraded front suspension, etc.

Thanks for looking out for a fellow member, and raising flags about potential issues (incorrect advertising falls into that category).

I had a restomod C3 about a decade ago and is the one car I've owned in my life that I regret selling. I'm not sure if this would be a suitable replacement or not for the price. The good thing is that, since I like to tinker, I wouldn't hurt the value of the car if I swapped out the headers for a real performance side exhaust, installed a 5-speed trans, etc.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:32 AM
LPE385
Melting Slicks

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi WA,
There's really no reason to use the phrase "ZL-1 Clone" and this car in the same sentence. That's a real dis-service to the few people who have built ZL-1 cars.
It may be a well built car, but just because there are receipts for $117,000 that doesn't mean someone should fall for the 'clone' business.
I believe that the fact you think it can be had for 1/3 that amount is an indication of the truth about the car.
Regards,
Alan
Originally Posted by carbster09
Nothing on this say "ZL-1" to me. All it is is a resto mod without some of the better resto mod parts out there! No big brakes, or a 5/6 speed. Ok it has polished everything and a pretty non OEM color. The general would have produced something akin to this. As a pure hot rod it's nice and surely worth the price if it's what you want! Not my the but.
These two hit the nail on the head. Nothing ZL-1 about it, just because the block is aluminum and it has a repro emblem doesn't make it a clone. It simply shows that's the only thing they can grasp to in order to have some "type" of marketability.

The idea of a clone to have something that's difficult to tell from real or "cloned". As its been said not for me. This market is so personalized and I'm not sure of the $$$ amount it takes to buy it but I wouldn't think my money would be safe in this type of car.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:08 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi wa,
Curious then why you chose your thread's title? Maybe to pique our interest?
The builder may have been meticulous in his record keeping, but for me the chassis pictures don't show the work of a craftsman. I see too much detailing that was done with semi-flat black paint in the engine compartment and chassis photos.
George may have been a terrific engine builder, but the rest?
It really comes down to what this car is worth to you. It seems to me that many people who would be interested in a car like this weren't ready to spend $55k, or now, even $40k for it.
People with $40k to spend for a toy have become pretty sophisticated about what they're buying.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 10-18-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:24 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Alan... this is the feedback I needed (about workmanship of the undercarriage). The original restoration was done in 1994... and while I have literally 50 more pics of the car, even some of those show the concerns you speak of regarding the detail work.

For me, personally, I want a car I can drive and enjoy... and have no concern (and don't want to pay for) and original or NCRS type car b/c I do not have the knowledge or background of info to ascertain what is truly real and what is a well-done clone. That's why I like restomods. Nothing ever remains stock.

There's a nice '79 C3 on this board with an LS-based motor and a 5-speed, and the owner (George) is very forthcoming with details of his build. In a perfect world I'd buy from someone like this... but I'm looking for a chrome-bumper car like the '69 BB I had.

Thank you for your thoughts and insight!

As for the thread's title... I just posted what was advertised, and wanted honest feedback. I realize that it could be misconstrued. Trust me, I have absolutely zero affiliation with this broker. He's in W. Canada, and I'm in Texas. Outside of some good, fundamental communication and documentation sent via email, I don't know the person.

Last edited by WA 2 FST; 10-18-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:32 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi WA,
Mr.McNicoll wrote "How To Restore a Rolling Chassis". I'm wondering now if this car's build might have been the basis for that book.
Restorers were pretty dismayed by the book, but modified car people not so much.
The bolts used to attach the spare tire strap to the tire tub made me a little crazy and thus I've been pretty hard on the car.
This might be the perfect car for you… but don't over pay for it.
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-18-2014, 01:24 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Alan,

Thank you for your sincere comments and looking out for a fellow Vette enthusiast... who adimittedly does not know all the in's/out's of C3s.

I did well with my first C3. Bought a NOM car, claimed to be an L89, but there was no real documentation besides a laminated posterboard full of info, so I didn't overpay for it at all. Modded it, had fun, sold it and broke even with the $$ I put into it. That's not a "win-win", but its better than most of the cars I've owned (being late models that NEVER increase in value, unless you have a Ford GT sitting in the garage. LOL).

Anyway, I am not looking for an investment-grade car b/c I will never buy one if that is how I approach it (due to lack of knowledge + I want to mod my cars, which invariably decreases value of a classic like these, I understand).

I thank you for giving me some insight on what you know about Mr. McNicholl and overarching thoughts on his book. I do believe this car was one of two that he restored and used as the basis for the book.

-Wes
Old 10-27-2014, 08:07 PM
itsonlyairandfuel
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 241 Posts

This is a great car for the performance enthusiast. Put eyes on it, and go from there as to price. Hot rods and restomods are selling for more than the originals. Because you can actually use them. Ron B.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:09 PM
pedec
Instructor

Car sold. Wonder if anybody on this fourm bought it.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:48 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by pedec
Car sold. Wonder if anybody on this fourm bought it.
Not from that ebay. Didn't meet reserve.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:15 PM
pedec
Instructor

II thought it just ended early since someone bought it privately.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:49 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

It ended yesterday... and I'm guessing it went for mid-$30s. Just too far away from me. I'm not sure I could buy a _new_ car without putting my eyes on it, much less a 45yr old car... and that was the primary reason I didn't pull the trigger.

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on this ZL1 clone?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this ZL1 clone?