Auto Extras & Memorabilia Accessories for your Corvette that aren’t budget-busters. Plus, Corvette memorabilia and die cast models (1:24 and 1:18 scale).

How to remove decals from a diecast w/o damaging the paint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 07:50 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Default How to remove decals from a diecast w/o damaging the paint?

Title says it all. I've got a 1/64 diecast that I'd like to remove the decals from, but want to keep the original paint intact. I tried soaking it in hot water, but no luck.

Anybody got any good advice on how to do this?

Thanks!

Old 06-02-2014, 07:56 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Try soapy hot water, but let them soak for a while, or try automotive goo gone, again let them soak for a while.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:18 PM
RK-TECT
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Title says it all. I've got a 1/64 diecast that I'd like to remove the decals from, but want to keep the original paint intact. I tried soaking it in hot water, but no luck.

Anybody got any good advice on how to do this?

Thanks!

Hi tuxnharley,
I had the same issue with a 1:24 diecast model that I purchased. It's an awesome C2 convertible model, but it was a promo model and had decals on both doors. I researched how to remove the decals and it worked perfectly. Get several Q-tips and acetone-based nail polish remover. Soak one end of the Q-tip in the nail polish remover, but make sure that it's not dripping wet. Rub the Q-tip back and forth on the decal and watch it dissolve. You will need 3 to 5 Q-tips per decal until all the gummy crud is removed. I used painter's tape around the decal to isolate the dissolving decal because it wants to spread beyond the decal area. The decal will be completely removed and your paint will be undamaged. Once removed, I wiped the area with a soft damp cloth and then wiped it dry. Now I have a great model without the tacky decals! Try it... you can thank me later!

, Roger
Old 06-03-2014, 07:41 AM
formula1nut
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by RK-TECT
Hi tuxnharley,
I had the same issue with a 1:24 diecast model that I purchased. It's an awesome C2 convertible model, but it was a promo model and had decals on both doors. I researched how to remove the decals and it worked perfectly. Get several Q-tips and acetone-based nail polish remover. Soak one end of the Q-tip in the nail polish remover, but make sure that it's not dripping wet. Rub the Q-tip back and forth on the decal and watch it dissolve. You will need 3 to 5 Q-tips per decal until all the gummy crud is removed. I used painter's tape around the decal to isolate the dissolving decal because it wants to spread beyond the decal area. The decal will be completely removed and your paint will be undamaged. Once removed, I wiped the area with a soft damp cloth and then wiped it dry. Now I have a great model without the tacky decals! Try it... you can thank me later!

, Roger
Before you do anything though try the nail polish remover in a hidden area. There is really variable quality of nail polish removers. So check first. Try Sally Hansen. What you want it to have a bit of trouble removing it If it is too quick the paint is next!

NOTE this only works on diecasts not plastic!
Old 06-03-2014, 01:50 PM
7Vette
Drifting

Non-acetone NPR works the best, just keep it away from chrome and plastic.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:23 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions! I went with the hot soapy water followed up with the non acetone nail polish remover. It took a little work, but came out nice!

Thanks again!

Old 06-05-2014, 08:29 PM
7Vette
Drifting

NPR works on some paint too. I've removed the cove paint on a lot of Ertl '61 & '62 Vettes with no damage to the body color under it.

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove decals from a diecast w/o damaging the paint?

Quick Reply: How to remove decals from a diecast w/o damaging the paint?