Auto Extras & Memorabilia Accessories for your Corvette that aren’t budget-busters. Plus, Corvette memorabilia and die cast models (1:24 and 1:18 scale).

Display Cases

Old 12-12-2014, 06:06 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Display Cases

Over the years of collecting deists, I've been looking for a dust-free way to display them. I've tried the plastic display cases and while they take care of the primary problem, a whole bunch of them don;t quite fit the presentation I was hoping for.

Sometimes I'll drop by IKEA and they do have some promising display cases, but the all-glass ones seem to leave big gaps between the panels and so probably aren;t very dustproof.

I recently bought a commercial display case from Store Supply on the internet and so far i'm very pleased with it, but time will tell if it's dustproof.

So back to IKEA, those glass tall cases are really inexpensive ( I think> $70) and I figure I could apply weather stripping along the vertical gaps, but not sure how well that would look.

I'll bet many of you have been faced with the same issue.

So, share with me, if you will, what your experiences have been?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2015, 05:48 PM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,335 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by last901
Over the years of collecting deists, I've been looking for a dust-free way to display them. I've tried the plastic display cases and while they take care of the primary problem, a whole bunch of them don;t quite fit the presentation I was hoping for.

Sometimes I'll drop by IKEA and they do have some promising display cases, but the all-glass ones seem to leave big gaps between the panels and so probably aren;t very dustproof.

I recently bought a commercial display case from Store Supply on the internet and so far i'm very pleased with it, but time will tell if it's dustproof.

So back to IKEA, those glass tall cases are really inexpensive ( I think> $70) and I figure I could apply weather stripping along the vertical gaps, but not sure how well that would look.

I'll bet many of you have been faced with the same issue.

So, share with me, if you will, what your experiences have been?

Thanks

The acrylic cases for displaying footballs work well for 1/18 or 1/12 scale cars.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:19 AM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

I have one of the multi car acrylic cases on my wall which looks ok and I also had three large display cabinets made. They are maple framed with all glass sides and shelves. The doors on the front have very slight gaps but the cars have collected almost no dust in over ten years. We also have other collectibles in curio cabinets that have slight gaps around the doors. Again very little dust over many years. I think they could all be adapted to some type of weatherstrip without being too noticeable but have felt no need.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:26 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bigblock427
The acrylic cases for displaying footballs work well for 1/18 or 1/12 scale cars.
Thanks. I haven't followed up yt on this, but it would seem to me that for 1/18 cars it pretty much would be the same single car display case I've been using for years. However I do have a need for a few 1/12-scale cases so will have to check this out. Thanks
Old 01-04-2015, 04:35 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by plasboy
I have one of the multi car acrylic cases on my wall which looks ok and I also had three large display cabinets made. They are maple framed with all glass sides and shelves. The doors on the front have very slight gaps but the cars have collected almost no dust in over ten years. We also have other collectibles in curio cabinets that have slight gaps around the doors. Again very little dust over many years. I think they could all be adapted to some type of weatherstrip without being too noticeable but have felt no need.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Thanks. I do have a plexi wall-type case for my Sprint car models and it is excellent, but I don't want to line my wall with them. I have some artwork I need wall space for.

Being able to have custom built cabinets would be perfect, but expensive.

The 70" display case I bought from Store Supply seems to be the best solution for the price. (310 delivered) I ordered mine disassembled and it was't difficult to assemble. I'm kinda' wishing I had ordered the optional lighting kit though, but I'm playing around with some nice looking LED lights from IKEA hat work pretty well.It does appear as though it's going to be reasonably rustproof, but I think I'll still wait a bit before putting my CMC and Exoto models in there.

If I can figure out how to post phonos I'll be happy to send pictures of my project. In the meantime, if you would just send me a PM with your personal Email I can send you lots of pictures.

Thanks for your help
Old 01-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Force-1
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
I believe in the Beer Fairy
USAF (Retired) 1979-2001

Old 01-05-2015, 03:47 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Force-1
Beautiful units. You have one of the most diverse collections I've ever seen. Everything from Ferrari to NASCAR and in between. So, if I might be so rude as to ask, is there are certain "theme" to your collection(s).
Old 01-05-2015, 07:51 PM
Force-1
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
I believe in the Beer Fairy
USAF (Retired) 1979-2001

Originally Posted by last901
Beautiful units. You have one of the most diverse collections I've ever seen. Everything from Ferrari to NASCAR and in between. So, if I might be so rude as to ask, is there are certain "theme" to your collection(s).
Really no theme--I just buy what I like. Here are photos from another cabinet in my dining room. I also have many more on display in my office, to include an SR-71 and M1A1 Abrams tank. Most are Franklin Mint, Danbury Mint, Exoto, Lane, AutoArt, GMP, etc.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:31 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Force-1
Really no theme--I just buy what I like. Here are photos from another cabinet in my dining room. I also have many more on display in my office, to include an SR-71 and M1A1 Abrams tank. Most are Franklin Mint, Danbury Mint, Exoto, Lane, AutoArt, GMP, etc.

Now that's what I would call an extraordinary collection. I like it. Wish I had that much space - or cabinets.

Perhaps I concern myself too much with the value (maybe perceived, but based on trying to keep up with the market) of many of the things I buy and collect. For example, I've bought a lot of Maisto and Bburago die-casts, almost entirely of the large 1:18-scale. I lot of them I bought at Costco for about 10 bucks. Arguably the best value.

I do greatly enjoy the high-end Exoto, BBR and CMC models, but since many of these sell for up to $400, I am reluctant to put them on display in anything but a dust-free case. With respect to the value issue, many of these higher end models tend to increase or at least hold their value. Not that I recommend them as investments since the market can be fickle.

So now I find myself with a lot of models, beautiful models to be sure, but now what? One thing I like about your collection is that it no doubt elects comments from guests and what could be better?

What about the boxes though? I should have realized this long ago, but if one is going to display expensive - say $300+ models - it's important to save the boxes. Now I find myself with a room full of empty boxes and another room with the models on display. If I decide to cull the collection by selling off some of the models, the boxes alone are worth almost the price of the model.

So here I am, serious collector, devoting an entire room/loft to my collections and. IMO it's worthy of something only to be otherwise seen in a museum - if there was some museum dedicated to wretched excess.

I think what I'm going to do, eventually, is get "everything" out and take a lot of photos and then start selling everything off. I'm not a youngster though and should probably start on that objective pretty soon.

Maybe it's better to at least have pictures of what you had in lieu of trying to tell people what was.

What do you think? I still need to send photos. My Corvette collection alone took up most of my new display case and would like to display a few others like my Ferraris, Porsches, Unlimited Hydroplanes, Chopped-Top Mercurys Hot rods, at least 50 scale model vintage dragsters and funny cars...

Thanks for sharing your collection and your thoughts with me.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:33 PM
b_pappy
Melting Slicks

Location: the GOCC are everywhere, even back from "band camp"
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys have some beautiful collections. My collection is rapidly outgrowing the living room too. My wife suggested we turn a spare bedroom in a "library" with custom cases for my cars. I'm just starting to conjure up what type of shelves & cases to build.
My garage attic is full of plastic storage tubs packed with the empty boxes the cars originally came in.
Thanks for the inspiration.
Bruce
Old 01-12-2015, 06:25 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I was hoping by now that I might have my collection all out on display, but I guess I didn't realize how much I had.

I might, if I can figure out how to post photos, just send some pictures of what I've done thus far. I might even get some ideas of how to do it better.

One collection that I may have to sell is my 1320inc set of vintage dragsters and funny cars. It's a beautiful set and I think I have the entire set of "The Fuelers, most of the "Diggers" and a few of the "Floppers".

I really don't want to sell them, but there is just too much left to put on display.

I also have a lot of Porsche models too but I doubt that's not going to bring a lot of interest from this forum. That's okay.

Get notified of new replies

To Display Cases

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Display Cases