Auto Extras & Memorabilia Accessories for your Corvette that aren’t budget-busters. Plus, Corvette memorabilia and die cast models (1:24 and 1:18 scale).

1998 Franklin Mint Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 09:45 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts
Default 1998 Franklin Mint Convertible

Bought one on Ebay and it arrived with a broken hood (the black bracket cross piece was broken off). Seller never acknowledged it was broken in the sale description.

I'm trying to repair it but could use some help from anyone having this or similar model.

Is there any other piece required to attach the hood to the car other than the black bracket on the inside of the hood?

It appears that this bracket's cross-member slips behind the top bumper fascia and the hood drops into place. Is that correct or is there another piece involved?

Without another example car to compare mine to, I'm only guessing.

Thanks for any advice or help.
Attached Images   
Old 01-18-2015, 11:52 AM
2000 Vette Guy
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Talk to the seller about returning the car due to the breakage. If it was in original packaging....there's no way it broke in shippment. If they won't take a return....trash them with bad feedback. Most upstanding sellers would take the return. That was something that should have been disclosed. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:15 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

No original packaging. Wrapped in bubble wrap and floated in Styrofoam peanuts. When I opened the box I saw the hood up on the windshield I knew something was up.

I emailed the seller yesterday and asked if they knew the hood was broken. No response yet.

I got the car for $24 delivered and see where most all are selling for $70 and up. So basically got a good deal (all things being equal). If he had said the hood was broken, I'd have passed up buying it. But now that it's in my hands and seeing what a functioning car costs, I thought I'd try a repair. Or leave it as is (since I rarely mess with the cars once I have them displayed.) A cheapie Maisto or other 1:24 sells for around $25-$30 shipped. The FM blows them away for detail.

The model displays okay. The hood just doesn't function like I would prefer. With a bit of tape on the bracket it stays open, but closing it is a PITA and requires a readjustment of tape and bracket again if I want to have the hood stay open. Naturally, If you turn the model over the hood drops.

I found a replacement hood but before I spend $15 I have to determine how the hood actually attaches to the car. Using a small flashlight it looks like the hood bracket cross-member sits in a cradle under the ft. bumper fascia. Cannot tell for sure without looking at a functioning model.

Thanks for the reply.

Was hoping someone had a similar model and could tell me if that's how the hood mounts to the model or if I'm missing an additional part.
Attached Images  

Last edited by 1SG_Ret; 01-18-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:16 PM
CyberBullet
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice looking example. I think that is probably all there is. Nothing missing.
If nothing else you may try JB Weld quick drying. There is no real weight involved with the hood. You can use enough to build up the hinge a little. It can be filed or sanded to shape. I use it on lots of small metal projects.
Hope you get it taken care of.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:40 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,282 Likes on 13,960 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I looked at two Franklin Mint models I have (2004 Z06 Z16 and a 2003 AE) and from what I could tell, the black piece that is broken on your car does fit into another plastic piece located behind the front fascia. I could not see exactly how it goes together, but I would guess it snaps into place. I did not see any other piece that may keep the hood in place.

Get notified of new replies

To 1998 Franklin Mint Convertible

Quick Reply: 1998 Franklin Mint Convertible