Auto Extras & Memorabilia Accessories for your Corvette that aren’t budget-busters. Plus, Corvette memorabilia and die cast models (1:24 and 1:18 scale).

Best Corvette Book?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 08:08 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Best Corvette Book?

As some of you may know, I once had a book and automobilia store and still consider myself a collector of certain rare and collectible books and scale models. Despite my obvious enthusiasm for Corvettes. I have but one or two books on the subject. Fortunately, I have a second edition of Karl Ludvigsen's book, Corvette: America's Star Spangled Sports Car, published by Automobile Quarterly. I have a monograph on the Grand Sports and probably a picture book or two around here; The sort of thing one finds on the remainder lists or sale tables at popular book stores. Good photos but no historical narrative.

I should probably add some book that provides history beyond the C3 Corvettes ad Ludvigsen's book has been updated to include 1982. Browsing Amazon and other popular sources, I can't find anything that seems as comprehensive, including racing, as that one.

I should probably post this in the collectibles forum too, if the moderators will allow it, but I'd like some options and advice as to other titles I may have overlooked.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:22 AM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Books

Sir,
I have just read your post & am responding to advise that I have the following books if you are interested :
Corvette C6 by Phil Berg coffee table book
Complete Book of Corvette by Mike Mueller-Large/heavy coffee table book
Corvette the Legend Lives by David H. Jacobs (9.5/10)
Corvette 50 Years by Leffingwell
Corvette from the inside by Dave McLellan
Corvette Buyers Guide by Mike Antonick-paperback/softcover
Corvette Milestones by Mike Mueller paperback/softcover
Corvette C5 by Mike Mueller paperback /softcover. (9.0/10)
All books are in Mint condition 10 out of 10) except where indicated.
I also have approximately 100 Corvette Diecasts ,2 in 1:12 scale by GMP,the rest mostly 1:18 scale & mostly Autoart,Carousel & Exoto.
I recently retired this summer & it's time to cull the herd as the den is stsrting to close in on me.I am near Niagara Falls Canada but will ship from Niagara Falls new York to save on shipping costs if you are interested in any items.
Sincerely,
Wilf
Old 02-28-2015, 12:28 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

For vintage Corvette racing, I enjoy "Corvette Thunder" (Dave Friedman) and "Corvette Racing" (David Kimble - this is a relatively recent book). The automotive engineer in me likes "The Chevrolet Corvette New Vehicle Engineering and Technology History", which is published by SAE and is a collection of SAE technical papers, up to the C6 Z06. I also like James Schefter's "All Corvettes Are Red" (nice telling of the struggles of GM and the C5 development) and Dave McLellan's "Corvette from the Inside".

Not for sale, but sharing these titles if you're interested in checking them out, to see if they fit your tastes.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:30 PM
acrace
Drifting

Originally Posted by Airwilf
Sir,
I have just read your post & am responding to advise that I have the following books if you are interested :
I also have approximately 100 Corvette Diecasts ,2 in 1:12 scale by GMP,the rest mostly 1:18 scale & mostly Autoart,Carousel & Exoto.
I recently retired this summer & it's time to cull the herd as the den is stsrting to close in on me.I am near Niagara Falls Canada but will ship from Niagara Falls new York to save on shipping costs if you are interested in any items.
Sincerely,
Wilf
Wilf, if you have a Carousel die cast of the Owens Corning car, I'd be interested. PM me if you have one to sell.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:11 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by acrace
For vintage Corvette racing, I enjoy "Corvette Thunder" (Dave Friedman) and "Corvette Racing" (David Kimble - this is a relatively recent book). The automotive engineer in me likes "The Chevrolet Corvette New Vehicle Engineering and Technology History", which is published by SAE and is a collection of SAE technical papers, up to the C6 Z06. I also like James Schefter's "All Corvettes Are Red" (nice telling of the struggles of GM and the C5 development) and Dave McLellan's "Corvette from the Inside".

Not for sale, but sharing these titles if you're interested in checking them out, to see if they fit your tastes.
Haven't read some of these, but from the author - like Friedman - and titles it seems to me this is a great assortment. Not a coffee table book anywhere. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:13 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Sir,
Sincerely,
Wilf
Nice library. Would love to see photos of your die-casts.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:22 PM
Plentyofun
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, looks like I've got some pleasure reading to do! Thanks for sharing these.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:19 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, as a result of this discussion I decided to order the most recent edition of the Ludvigsen book. It's been updated to include the C3 series. This more recent edition is now published by Bentley Publishers and is not only updated but revised from the original AQ edition.

The typical Automobile Quarterly "landscape" format has been changed to a more standard 9" x 11" format and now runs to a remarkable 765+ pages. Apparently nothing's been left out from the original edition.

I bought this from Amazon for I think around $45. Not cheap, but a great value. It's really nice, but if it gets revised again I'm sure the publisher is going to have to add a second volume. It's big, it's heavy and not the sort of thing you'll be able to read in bed.

It remains to be seen - or read, I suppose - but to my mind it is still the finest book on the history and development of the Corvette.

Just wanted to update the thread.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:03 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Airwilf's Diecasts

I can post newer pics later this afternoon that are better quality.I hve 8 cabinets of cars that I'm going to get rid of this spring.I'll keep 2 or 3 of the cars I had.

Last edited by Airwilf; 03-15-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:05 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by last901
Nice library. Would love to see photos of your die-casts.
Just posted a few pics.I have what u are looking for.My sincerest apologies for the late reply.Stuff got in the way & I don't get to the diecast section of the forum.I am close to the USA border & can ship from the US instead of Canada.It's a LOT cheaper that way for the buyer(s)

Last edited by Airwilf; 03-15-2015 at 12:07 PM. Reason: add info
Old 03-16-2015, 02:58 PM
acrace
Drifting

Just posted a few pics.I have what u are looking for.My sincerest apologies for the late reply.Stuff got in the way & I don't get to the diecast section of the forum.I am close to the USA border & can ship from the US instead of Canada.It's a LOT cheaper that way for the buyer(s)
PM sent.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:04 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Superb collection and nicely displayed. Where did you get the cabinets? Are they pretty dustproof?
Old 03-16-2015, 09:40 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by last901
Superb collection and nicely displayed. Where did you get the cabinets? Are they pretty dustproof?
Cabinets are IKEA older Krys units, no longer in production as far as I know. Not totally dustproof though, but adequate

Last edited by Airwilf; 03-16-2015 at 09:41 PM. Reason: typo

Get notified of new replies

To Best Corvette Book?

Quick Reply: Best Corvette Book?