Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

shifting problem when racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 09:01 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default shifting problem when racing

I posted this in C5 Tech,b ut since it only happens when I 1/4 mile race I thought maybe someone here knows whats up:

Since I went with the H/C package and also changed over to the C6 shifter I have noticed a problem shifting gears when racing at the 1/4 mile. At Pocono Long track I had no issues, but since last night was the 2nd time I ran the 1/4 since the Mods and had an issue I wonder what is up.

Here is the scenario:

I run a few runs with no issues. I get good shifts and everything is fine. I then get to about the 3rd run and I start to miss 2nd gear. I just cannot get it into gear.

Last night something new happen during the 5th run. I got my shift into 2nd, but I swear I could not move the shifter into 3rd. It was locked there. The clutch was in, but it would not move. Thinking about it over night I am not sure if it was locked in 2nd or stuck between 2nd and 3rd, but I know I could not move it. I then pushed teh clutch in a few times and it went into 3rd with no problem.

I stopped after that and let the car rest for about 1/2 hour. I drove home with no issues being able to shift into all gears though I could not really run the gears to see if there was an issue.

Just wondering if it is me, the shifter, something else that is starting to go, maybe time for a new tranny, syncros are out and when they heat or at high rpms they have problems (high rpms would explain why I don't have issues at the road track - I assume heat wise it would be hotter at the road tracks).

Any ideas???

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 09-29-2005 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:10 AM
C5 CU
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after upgrading from stock clutch (peddle stuck to floor) similar thing happened to me...speedshop added spacers to new Ram clutch assembly (external) and after several more test and adjustment problem "mostly" fixed....
Old 09-29-2005, 09:16 AM
Special K
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
I posted this in C5 Tech,b ut since it only happens when I 1/4 mile race I thought maybe someone here knows whats up:

Since I went with the H/C package and also changed over to the C6 shifter I have noticed a problem shifting gears when racing at the 1/4 mile. At Pocono Long track I had no issues, but since last night was the 2nd time I ran the 1/4 since the Mods and had an issue I wonder what is up.

Here is the scenario:

I run a few runs with no issues. I get good shifts and everything is fine. I then get to about the 3rd run and I start to miss 2nd gear. I just cannot get it into gear.

Last night something new happen during the 5th run. I got my shift into 2nd, but I swear I could not move the shifter into 3rd. It was locked there. The clutch was in, but it would not move. Thinking about it over night I am not sure if it was locked in 2nd or stuck between 2nd and 3rd, but I know I could not move it. I then pushed teh clutch in a few times and it went into 3rd with no problem.

I stopped after that and let the car rest for about 1/2 hour. I drove home with no issues being able to shift into all gears though I could not really run the gears to see if there was an issue.

Just wondering if it is me, the shifter, something else that is starting to go, maybe time for a new tranny, syncros are out and when they heat or at high rpms they have problems (high rpms would explain why I don't have issues at the road track - I assume heat wise it would be hotter at the road tracks).

Any ideas???
I think it has to be the shifter or the shiftee. The syncros have nothing to do with it. They just prevent grinding of the gears. You also don't need to use the clutch to shift so that isn't the problem.

You don't have problems on the road because you are shifting easier.

Maybe I can help you tomorrow at the track rental.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:30 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

bob - I am thinking the C6 shifter is causing the problems, but I am just not sure. I might take the whole thing apart again and see if it is aligned right.

Maybe I will just go by the hurst shifter and test that...

thanks

BTW - I will not be at the rental tomorrow - I have a $236 million budget to finish up....
Old 09-29-2005, 09:47 AM
Special K
Safety Car

bob - I am thinking the C6 shifter is causing the problems, but I am just not sure. I might take the whole thing apart again and see if it is aligned right.

thanks

BTW - I will not be at the rental tomorrow - I have a $236 million budget to finish up....
That's too bad you won't be there. If you don't know how to shift without the clutch I can show you on the 22nd.

I would bet money that the shifter is the problem.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:03 AM
cyclerage23
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHat clutch are you using? Do you still have the stock clutch master? I doubt the shifter is the issue.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:10 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by cyclerage23
WHat clutch are you using? Do you still have the stock clutch master? I doubt the shifter is the issue.

I have the RPS clutch. I dont think the clutch master was touched when I changed it over...
Old 09-29-2005, 10:46 AM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Bob, take out the shifter, especially if YOU did the install!! LOL
This is the easiest thing to eliminate...When my trans went the 2nd time, I had similar issues but even when doing low rpm driving....
I'm leaning towards trans! Sorry! Could be synchros &/or trans gears shot...What does Chris say??
Ron
PS- How'd ya run last night?
Old 09-29-2005, 10:51 AM
Special K
Safety Car

Bob, it's the shifter. Tranny and clutch are fine. Ignore these guys.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:57 AM
cyclerage23
Melting Slicks

We're having same issue with Rich's car (same clutch). You either need to shim between the slave cylinder and pressure install an adjustable master.
I'll bet you clutch pedal grabs really close to the floor, right? Maybe 1/4 of the way up?
Old 09-29-2005, 11:04 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

We're having same issue with Rich's car (same clutch). You either need to shim between the slave cylinder and pressure install an adjustable master.
I'll bet you clutch pedal grabs really close to the floor, right? Maybe 1/4 of the way up?
Does his car also act ok the first 2 runs or so?

I think it grabs closer to the top with normal driving. Under hard driving I have no idea. I guess I need to take more notes...
Old 09-29-2005, 11:11 AM
cyclerage23
Melting Slicks

Does his car also act ok the first 2 runs or so?

I think it grabs closer to the top with normal driving. Under hard driving I have no idea. I guess I need to take more notes...
His does it all the time, but he has new fluid in his so temp wouldnt be an issue. If you running old fluid in the clutch system, that would be the first place to start. flush all the old stuff out and put in a good synthetic fluid.
When the fluid gets old it gets spongy and wont engage the slave cylinder all the way. Ask Chris if the flushed the fluid when they did the clutch.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:15 AM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Ask Chris if the flushed the fluid when they did the clutch.
I'm sure he didn't Jason..They said they didn't w/ mine...
Ron
Old 09-29-2005, 11:19 AM
cyclerage23
Melting Slicks

After slipping the clutch on a few 5k rpm launches that fluid gets Hot!

Last edited by cyclerage23; 09-29-2005 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:36 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I believe we did switch the fluid. I remember seeing it done.

BTW - I called Chris and he said he read the thread and wants to put in something - pressure pad maybe - dam I hate when I forget when someone says something to me. He explained what he believes is happening and it made sense to me.

He said it is not hard to install so I will get it done one night next week and give my feedback...
Old 09-29-2005, 11:42 AM
cyclerage23
Melting Slicks

Is that like a tampad?
Old 09-29-2005, 11:47 AM
Special K
Safety Car

thanks

So finish it today and fix it Monday.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Is that like a tampad?

Jason I am not sure. When I get down there I can fill you in. It is going to be a busy week getting ready for the WGI run. I think I might even need new brake pads.

Boy racing is expensive......
Old 09-29-2005, 11:50 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Special K
So finish it today and fix it Monday.

funny thing is we will be fixing it on Monday and Tueday and Wednesday and ......

funny how companies really check your numbers when you ask for $236 million....

Get notified of new replies

To shifting problem when racing

Quick Reply: shifting problem when racing