Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

DragVette????

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Chilli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DragVette????

I'm considering buying a 420 hp 355 for my pretty-much-100-percent original '79 (TH350 tranny). Would the Dragvette suspension kit keep rear end parts from breaking? Would it keep the car off the walls? The car will see the 1/4 mile about four or five times a year. I'll probably run drag radials; definitely not slicks. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-11-2011, 07:12 AM
wingjohn2
Advanced

yes, the drag vette system will help a lot, keeps you out of that negative camber change on the leave...the 'squat' you see. It is a great product, I use it in my 67 with a 540. I am not sure you will actually need it though, with an automatic trans and street gears. Just my thoughts.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Split327
Instructor

Just keep the half shafts as straight as possible, (get adjustable spring bolts to adjust ride height) make sure your rear spring is not too soft, you can add a set of QA-1 adjustable rear shocks set at the stiffest level when drag racing to keep the car from squatting too far. With the 355 and horsepower your making you won't break anything except weak or worn parts. The car will dead hook and go straight as an arrow with a drag radial, no swaying or squirming. If you think you need a good set of spindles or axles get them from International axle. They are the best stock size replacement axles you will find, they are stronger than the GM's by far. I run fiberglass springs from Vettebrakes 360 or 420lb rate, QA-1's, solid u-joints, eaton posi, the big aluminum discs that hold the crossmember up, My 75 vette runs 11 teens @ 119mph with a glide and 4000 stall converter. 1.60's sixty foot times on footbrake leaving at 2,000 rpm with no issues. I even hit at 3500 with the trans brake and it won't break. Good Luck and enjoy, I run the Corvette Challenge in NJ 12 times a year plenty of C3's running with stock rear's and auto with no issues.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Hadez
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dragvette will work nicely...I have it installed on 2 different 69 vettes I have owned. I snapped the outer spindle and Dragvette saved me big time from having a half shaft rip everything else apart.

Because you are using a auto trans and its only 420hp it will be hard to put a lot of "shock" stress on the drive train even with drag radials. First I would do the "solid spicer" joints then consider the dragvette kit.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:44 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaos
Dragvette will work nicely...I have it installed on 2 different 69 vettes I have owned. I snapped the outer spindle and Dragvette saved me big time from having a half shaft rip everything else apart.

Because you are using a auto trans and its only 420hp it will be hard to put a lot of "shock" stress on the drive train even with drag radials. First I would do the "solid spicer" joints then consider the dragvette kit.
The car is it a auto are 4 sp auto cars will do less damage to the drive train than the stick will for sure. I have most of there stuff on my 65 vette and love it man..... Robert

Get notified of new replies

To DragVette????

Quick Reply: DragVette????