Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

front skinnies

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 08:39 PM
minytrker
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default front skinnies

Are the ccw's the skinny for the front? A buddy thinks that his skinnies off his camaro would work on my car, I think his are bogarts or something like that.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:56 PM
sixspdvet
Pro

If they are Bogarts I don't think they will fit.. Ask Redgar!!! he has them on his C5 and had to change some stuff to make them work..

Ernie
Old 06-19-2006, 11:05 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

If they are 15" inchers, they will not fit without mods.

I got a set on switching to Strange Engineering drag brakes. Have to cut mounting ears to fit them so it is semi-permenant.

I did see where one guy on ls1tech.com that took a sazall and grinder to the the stock calipers to fit them ...I can get you a link if you are interested.

If you want to see my setup, you can go to www.redsledracing.com and click on the "Click for Photo Gallery" link on the right.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:50 AM
minytrker
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replys. Im just trying to find something cheap to buy to use when I try to my 10 second pass. I figure Im only only going to get one maybe two tries before being kicked off the track for no cage.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:51 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

CI VI Drag Champ!

best bet is to borrow a ccw package if you can as the only mod you will need is to bang down the upper ball joints in the rear
Old 06-20-2006, 08:54 AM
Fastbasser
Burning Brakes

I can tell you my car got a little "loose" last week when I ran it at an 1/8th mile track with mixed tires and 18 lbs of pressure. The ET Streets do work a lot better than drag radials though.

Still wish someone made a reasonable priced set of skinnys for these cars!!
Old 06-20-2006, 07:59 PM
minytrker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fastbasser
I can tell you my car got a little "loose" last week when I ran it at an 1/8th mile track with mixed tires and 18 lbs of pressure. The ET Streets do work a lot better than drag radials though.

Still wish someone made a reasonable priced set of skinnys for these cars!!

I have et streets, but have never run them. Im not to worried about the 1/8 mile but the 1/4 has me a little worried.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:26 PM
HawkIVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just up to last month, I was running MT ETStreet on 16" firebird rims out back with stock rims (Radial tires) up front. 1/8th mile didn't feel bad at all, and even 1/4 mile was not too bad. I only run 12.4@ 111 MPH in the 1/4 though. But when I did, I would run them at 13.5 # warm.

I finanlly broke down and bought a set of CCW black rims with tires from another forum member and have run them twice on the 1/8th. No problems at all.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:38 PM
vetteman9368
Team Owner

Location: I have no tolerence for liberals and fools, but sometimes i repeat myself
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CI 3-5-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

I really don't see how the ET Streets could be faster than a GOOD drag radial (M/T). We have alid down many a sub 5.50 1/8 mile pass in my buddy's turbo car without even spinning the tires. We tried ET Streets once and it spun the hell out of them
Old 06-21-2006, 02:16 AM
minytrker
Burning Brakes

I went with et streets over drag radials to try to save some stress on the rear. From what I have seen and heard if you dead hook DR you will find your weak link, vs dead hook et's the sidewall will flex alot more taking some of the stress. Its all a gamble and you have to pay to play but Im willing to give up a .1 or .2 to possible save the rear end.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:42 AM
BERGN8R
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Last year I ran the drag radials and this year switched to the 17" ET Streets. The ET streets hook much better on our less than perfectly prepped track. When the the glue is good, both hooked the same. At the top end, I don't feel much of difference unless pressure is down. I was running the DRs at 15psi and I run the ET Streets at 17. I found a weak link with the ET Streets. Hope to be back racing next weekend.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:43 AM
vetteman9368
Team Owner

Location: I have no tolerence for liberals and fools, but sometimes i repeat myself
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CI 3-5-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by minytrker
I went with et streets over drag radials to try to save some stress on the rear. From what I have seen and heard if you dead hook DR you will find your weak link, vs dead hook et's the sidewall will flex alot more taking some of the stress. Its all a gamble and you have to pay to play but Im willing to give up a .1 or .2 to possible save the rear end.
now that I cold understand
Old 09-06-2006, 10:34 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkIVette
Just up to last month, I was running MT ETStreet on 16" firebird rims out back with stock rims (Radial tires) up front.
Hawk - I have my car jacked upright now trying to mount some 16's on Firebird rims. What did you have to do for fitment?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 09-06-2006, 10:40 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

CI VI Drag Champ!

See article on http://www.ccwheel.com/files/technical.php
Old 09-07-2006, 04:45 AM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got it sorted out. You need to do a lot more than just bang the joint.. Nothing a grinder couldn't fix.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:33 AM
HawkIVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdhmi
I got it sorted out. You need to do a lot more than just bang the joint.. Nothing a grinder couldn't fix.
Sorry, just openned your PM.

Yeah, that picture is for Firebird wheels to fit. CCW states that under the picture that for theirs to fit, just use a hammer. But for Firebird wheels , you must grind down the top a bit along with the each side of the spindle, at least from my experiences.

Get notified of new replies

To front skinnies

Quick Reply: front skinnies