Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Cam help

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 12:55 PM
hgm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam help

For my 383 build I planed on using a Crane small base circle roller cam with with stock roller lifters. Cam is in, drop in a couple lifters add dog bone factory retainer and spider getting ready to do a final valve clearance check. This is the first factory roller motor I have done but IMO I don't think the lifters when in the base position are far enough into the dog bone retainer. I contacted Crane and they said to use a special lifter that is .300' taller. Cost $500+ which is definitely not in the budget. I called them back to check a part # for the lifters, got another tech and was told it would be ok to use the stock lifter. Thoroughly confused I called Comp twice. First call was told to use stock lifters second call told to use tall. I know a lot of members are building these motors. What are you using? All clearances were done with the small base cam. The cam has a base circle of .900" vs stock at about 1.142". I do not have a old stock cam to put in for comparison.

Quick Reply: Cam help