Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Do We Have A Chance To Improve Safety At Etown?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:07 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Default Do We Have A Chance To Improve Safety At Etown?

I have a concern for on-track safety during our events. This is not meant to be a rant. This is not a debate thread. Can we get adequate track prep and maintenance for the length of the track for every event? Where is the discrepancy between Etown and other quality tracks? I know that this has been debated before without resolution. Can we get enough support to effectuate a change by going to the appropriate people? Who can go on our behalf?
Old 03-12-2012, 10:15 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Track prep, what's that?
Old 03-12-2012, 10:29 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

I agree with the concern and that we should address this with the track.
Etown has always made an effort to improve safety by instituting safety rules, over zealous tech inspection, and addressing concerns when approached, but I never see a big effort to prepare the track during any local race events.
Without adequate track prep and maintenace throughout the entire event all that hard work to enforce safety gets compromised.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:36 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
Track prep, what's that?
That's always been the running joke about etown for as long as I've raced there. Maybe if we made a serious conscious effort to approach them with a large population of racers they would change their approach. Their track maintenace needs to match their top notch facility.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:37 AM
98NYFINESTVETTE
Le Mans Master

Location: 10.70 @ 124mph, Stock Bottom End @ 3620lbs, ECS Racing Team Member. The 1st NMCA LSX Index Rumble World Champion. 2011,12,13 Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The track is prepped in the morning just before the first vehicles make a pass.
Did something happen over the weekend?
Old 03-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Fordracer9
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

My biggest gripes with Etown have always been track prep and common sense. While they do prep the track in the mornings, and occasionally as needed, they tend to use the cheaper WATER based stuff rather than use the alky based stuff that dries better/faster, especially if it's just a regular day. I've seen them run the jet drier on the track with fuel coming out of the exhaust onto the racing surface, yet keep on going on more than one ocasion. And I gave up counting how many times I've seen engines/transmissions let go on a pass, and they don't even THINK about going out to check the race surface for SEVERAL pairings.

My advice... If somebody breaks just infront of you, REFUSE to stage until the track is checked. If we don't make them do it, they aren't going to change their ways.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:42 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06
I have a concern for on-track safety during our events. This is not meant to be a rant. This is not a debate thread. Can we get adequate track prep and maintenance for the length of the track for every event? Where is the discrepancy between Etown and other quality tracks? I know that this has been debated before without resolution. Can we get enough support to effectuate a change by going to the appropriate people?
Originally Posted by robz
I agree with the concern and that we should address this with the track.
Etown has always made an effort to improve safety by instituting safety rules, over zealous tech inspection, and addressing concerns when approached, but I never see a big effort to prepare the track during any local race events.
Without adequate track prep and maintenace throughout the entire event all that hard work to enforce safety gets compromised.

Originally Posted by 98NYFINESTVETTE
Yes, cars were skating all over the track (top and bottom) yesterday. And yes it was a little cold/windy out, but not that cold.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:06 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 98NYFINESTVETTE
The track is prepped in the morning just before the first vehicles make a pass.
Yesterday, my wife watched as the Z was almost put into the wall at half track. (She never attends and it made her quite nervous.) Andrew also had issues from half track to the end. Anthony stated that he felt a little loose. As stated, we have gotten very loose in prior years.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:10 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LS1LT1

Yes, cars were skating all over the track (top and bottom) yesterday.

As for temperature, it reached the 60s yesterday. During the first round of eliminations, it was in the 50's. We have raced in the low 40s at other quality facilities and not experienced any issues. I believe that was due to the fact that safety was a primary concern.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:22 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06

As for temperature, it reached the 60s yesterday. During the first round of eliminations, it was in the 50's. We have raced in the low 40s at other quality facilities and not experienced any issues. I believe that was due to the fact that safety was a primary concern.
Good points.
I've cut 1.50-1.51 sixty foots stalling it to over 2500rpm in 39-42 degree temps shallow staged at another track on a regular (not private rental) test and tune day.
I spun my way to an "awesome" 2.0x sixty foot at E-town yesterday leaving at less than 1800rpm in 55 degree temps also shallow on the very same tires.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:17 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I spun my way to an "awesome" 2.0x sixty foot at E-town yesterday leaving at less than 1800rpm in 55 degree temps also shallow on the very same tires.
Man, that's bad.

Couple years ago at a MIR rental the track surface was below 40* & we were told to keep it above 10.00.

That lasted about 10 minutes since we never spun, ended up running 8.7's all day without issue.

If I remember correctly it started snowing as we were leaving.

Point is- if other tracks can prep like that, E-town should be able too also.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:35 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
Man, that's bad.

Couple years ago at a MIR rental the track surface was below 40* & we were told to keep it above 10.00.

That lasted about 10 minutes since we never spun, ended up running 8.7's all day without issue.

If I remember correctly it started snowing as we were leaving.

Point is- if other tracks can prep like that, E-town should be able too also.
Especially when it is (and expects to continue to be) supposed to be known as a true world class drag racing facility.

And please, I don't want to hear anyone spout off about the awesome prep work during multi million dollar Nationals or Shakedown events, that doesn't help those who race their regularly throughout the year.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:39 AM
Vetter 1
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Especially when it is (and expects to continue to be) supposed to be known as a true world class drag racing facility.

And please, I don't want to hear anyone spout off about the awesome prep work during multi million dollar Nationals or Shakedown events, that doesn't help those who race their regularly throughout the year.
I can't agree more! I raced in Norwalk, OH numerous times and they spray the entire track more than once a day! Ask Bob T.

You guys might be asking too much as a track that is cutting cost by getting rid of their Friday nights. I had dinner with the owner of another track locally that I have gone to and he didn't believe me that Etown was cutting the Friday nights. He said Friday nights for him was money in the bank as it was tune and tune racing and their is no payout racing for him to pay.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:35 AM
Split327
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary I saw that run and understand why the wife got nervous, it looked real bad, I never seen your car move that much. Good job driving to keep it off the wall at the 1/8.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:59 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vetter 1
I can't agree more! I raced in Norwalk, OH numerous times and they spray the entire track more than once a day! Ask Bob T.

You guys might be asking too much as a track that is cutting cost by getting rid of their Friday nights. I had dinner with the owner of another track locally that I have gone to and he didn't believe me that Etown was cutting the Friday nights. He said Friday nights for him was money in the bank as it was tune and tune racing and their is no payout racing for him to pay.
Artie,
I hope that we are not.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:03 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Split327
Gary I saw that run and understand why the wife got nervous, it looked real bad, I never seen your car move that much. Good job driving to keep it off the wall at the 1/8.
Thanks. Sometimes it feels bad in the car but the audience does not see much. When the audience tells you that it's bad, it must have been really bad.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:46 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Vetter 1
You guys might be asking too much as a track that is cutting cost by getting rid of their Friday nights.
True, but that's also all the more reason to put the money that will be saved on Friday nights (from having to turn the lights on/pay the staff/spray the track etc.) into better prep on the remaining days/nights that they're open.

I may not like it but can almost see the 'Friday night' thing, if car counts are low over the course of 4 track days then it's only logical to drop one of the days to increase attendance (of racers, crews AND spectators). I know it's not cheap to run that place for 6-7 hours and if only 40 cars show up it just might not be worth it to open at all.
When there are 3 McDonald's located within 4 miles of each other and each one starts to see a notable decrease in traffic, one of the locations will typically be closed eventually.
Similar situation here I suppose.

But now of course the frustration of super packed/crowded extra long Saturday and Sunday sessions might drive car counts down even more and send racers to those other tracks that are still open 4 days/nights per week during the regular season, especially if they DO prep better on top of all that.

Get notified of new replies

To Do We Have A Chance To Improve Safety At Etown?

Old 03-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Tsab
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Gary, glad you didn't tag the wall and get an Etown stripe on the car. Anyway, I have to agree with some of the other posters here, I don't think that they will put that much effort into track prep issue since they are in a reducing expense phase right now. From the tracks point of view, I'm sure they see a large fall off in attendance so much so that Friday nights are now relegated to dust bin of history, and I'm sure they aren't happy about that. So they are trying to reduce costs where they can. Reducing track prep is just one of the ways. I would say this, looks like thats the way it will be this year and everybody will have to deal with it. If you feel that its compromising safety then, its up you to decide if you will take the risk and race. Most of the CC guys know that prep or lack of it has always been on the complaint list. Also consider this, when there is a mix of Street tire and slick tire cars (as is with the CC ) the street tires usually pull up the track prep. I understand both points of view. My suggestion is to adjust for it the best way you can. Anyway, Just my opinion for what its worth.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:47 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tsab
Gary, glad you didn't tag the wall and get an Etown stripe on the car. Anyway, I have to agree with some of the other posters here, I don't think that they will put that much effort into track prep issue since they are in a reducing expense phase right now. From the tracks point of view, I'm sure they see a large fall off in attendance so much so that Friday nights are now relegated to dust bin of history, and I'm sure they aren't happy about that. So they are trying to reduce costs where they can. Reducing track prep is just one of the ways. I would say this, looks like thats the way it will be this year and everybody will have to deal with it. If you feel that its compromising safety then, its up you to decide if you will take the risk and race. Most of the CC guys know that prep or lack of it has always been on the complaint list. Also consider this, when there is a mix of Street tire and slick tire cars (as is with the CC ) the street tires usually pull up the track prep. I understand both points of view. My suggestion is to adjust for it the best way you can. Anyway, Just my opinion for what its worth.
Tom,
I greatly appreciate your concern. However, as we both understand business and cost cutting in a down economy, we also both know that safety is paramount and cannot be sacrificed.
What does it cost to defend a suit or paying a claim? Negligence can only be determined in a court of law.
When several hundred cars are racing like this past Sunday, there is more than sufficient funds to cover good prep.
Why can other tracks provide great prep on street night T&Ts and Etown cannot?
We know that street cars present a problem on the starting line and I can personally deal with that for the 11.50. My concern is for all racers in all classes. We have seen great drivers like Jay pedal a car down the track since it could not hold. No one and I mean no one should ever be loose from half track on. I also agree that guys like Marc should not have to deal with a 2.0 60' in a bolt-on DR automatic car.
There are so many ways to cut costs and safety is not one of them. I will not dictate to Etown how to better manage their operation but I do expect them to do what is right.
The entire point of this thread is to brainstorm and figure out how to bring resolution to a serious problem. I am disappointed with you accepting what we have. To that point, I suppose we all should be speaking the King's english if similar logic prevails.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:01 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

1. I am willing to create a petition and obtain signatures that can be brought to the appropriate Etown personnel. All input is welcome.
2. We need to determine to whom should we bring said concerns to that can actually make a change.
3. Who should be the one or ones to bring forward our concerns in a constructive manner?
4. How quickly can we get a meeting with Etown for an open and honest discussion?
5. If they are willing, we could assist them in properly identifying why they are having such safety issues and how to resolve them.
6. If they are willing, we could provide cost cutting suggestions.

Tom- You did encourage me to promptly put together this action plan. Thanks.

Any other suggestions on rectifying the situation is greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Do We Have A Chance To Improve Safety At Etown?