Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

1000 Ways to Lose

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 08:50 AM
99ZX9R
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1000 Ways to Lose

2nd Rd in Pro at Atco, I'm dialed a 10.33, she's 9.43. Leave the line (.051), hit high gear and start looking left (I'm in the R lane). Side window, nothing. Rear quarter window (this is a fox body), nothing. Rear window, nothing. I'm actually looking back at the starting line to see if she broke...still wide open at this point. I'm just before the 1000' now and I figure I'll just coast and get ready for Rd. 3. Then she blows by me

Only thing I can think of is she was right dead in my blind spot. Or perhaps I'm just blind.

Good to see the Cupolo's there. Shame about the breakage.

Last edited by 99ZX9R; 05-27-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:16 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

I had a friend who, while making the 2-3 shift, had the shifter snap-off, with the T-handle hitting the fuel-pump switch on the dashboard when he had his opponent covered

it happens
Old 05-27-2012, 10:18 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

That bites, time to adjust your side mirror.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Vettekid1992
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99ZX9R
2nd Rd in Pro at Atco, I'm dialed a 10.33, she's 9.43. Leave the line (.051), hit high gear and start looking left (I'm in the R lane). Side window, nothing. Rear quarter window (this is a fox body), nothing. Rear window, nothing. I'm actually looking back at the starting line to see if she broke...still wide open at this point. I'm just before the 1000' now and I figure I'll just coast and get ready for Rd. 3. Then she blows by me

Only thing I can think of is she was right dead in my blind spot. Or perhaps I'm just blind.

happy to be there but not so happy to leave took the car apart this morning, posi it fine but i'm afraid i may have twisted the tailshaft (i can pull the yoke out but i cant push it any farther in)aswell as the destruction below

Old 05-27-2012, 07:06 PM
DRIVER456
Melting Slicks

Location: NY- 2013 Corvette Challenge Champion-2013 Index Combo Champion 2015 CC/MM Champion
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Wow! What brand ring & pinion was that?
Old 05-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Vettekid1992
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DRIVER456
Wow! What brand ring & pinion was that?
stock 4.56 GM ring and pinion from a 1963 Corvette , (tailshaft is not twisted the yoke is) ordering a good richmond 4.11 gear set on tuesday, we should be ready to rock by june 9th
Old 05-27-2012, 08:12 PM
98NYFINESTVETTE
Le Mans Master

Location: 10.70 @ 124mph, Stock Bottom End @ 3620lbs, ECS Racing Team Member. The 1st NMCA LSX Index Rumble World Champion. 2011,12,13 Champion

She was crossing at about 148mph and you were at 128mph. Passed you like a train. You should have not lost site of her from the starting line unless the car was out of the groove. Always know where your adversary- I mean your competitor is at all times.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:10 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

The problem there was not the blind spot it was the coast. It is okay to scrub if you feel safe but I always try to avoid a coast. If you feel safe, figure a way to scrub different amounts of ET...02, .05, somewhere in there. Learn what you scrub with and certain number of throttle blips vs. a quick touch of the brake and even if your opponent is on the starting line, you still are not breaking out.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:08 AM
99ZX9R
Drifting

Originally Posted by REDGAR
The problem there was not the blind spot it was the coast. It is okay to scrub if you feel safe but I always try to avoid a coast. If you feel safe, figure a way to scrub different amounts of ET...02, .05, somewhere in there. Learn what you scrub with and certain number of throttle blips vs. a quick touch of the brake and even if your opponent is on the starting line, you still are not breaking out.
Very true. Rob is right in that you should always know where your competitor/adversary/enemy is and I need to be better at that...but the coast (and my pedestrian r/t...she was .035) hurt me more. Making matters worse is I was dialed tight, with little chance of breaking out. A slight lift or tap on the brakes would've been the smarter move.

Yet another lesson learned.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:33 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I've given races away (they were almost guaranteed 'easy wins', I had a much better light each time) while being way out front both ways...by scrubbing off too much and having my opponent fly right by me to take the stripe and also by NOT scrubbing off enough and having them win while still at half track because I broke out. I learned a lot from each mistake too but it's still tough out there LOL.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:13 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

A company named Panovex makes a convex mirror to replace the flat mirror an Corvettes. I have one on my C4 bracket car. I had one on my 02Z and currently have one on my C6Z. It's a great add on for the track or the street. It is similar to the passenger's side mirror and gets rid of the blind spot. I have bought these directly from the manufacturer. Ecklers sells these too I believe.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:57 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I've given races away (they were almost guaranteed 'easy wins', I had a much better light each time) while being way out front both ways...by scrubbing off too much and having my opponent fly right by me to take the stripe and also by NOT scrubbing off enough and having them win while still at half track because I broke out. I learned a lot from each mistake too but it's still tough out there LOL.
A lesson, or strategy I adopted a long time ago after giving up the stripe by accident a couple times is that I will NEVER, give back the lead! I rather lose by breakout than let you back around me.

Cost me sometimes but I can live with those loses.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:18 PM
99ZX9R
Drifting

Originally Posted by 383vett
A company named Panovex makes a convex mirror to replace the flat mirror an Corvettes. I have one on my C4 bracket car. I had one on my 02Z and currently have one on my C6Z. It's a great add on for the track or the street. It is similar to the passenger's side mirror and gets rid of the blind spot. I have bought these directly from the manufacturer. Ecklers sells these too I believe.
I searched Panovex and found nothing. I did find some convex mirrors for fox body mustangs on ebay tho. I'm also looking into those long rear view mirrors with the multiple angles. Not the best looking things, but it is a fox body after all
Old 05-29-2012, 12:19 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

A lesson, or strategy I adopted a long time ago after giving up the stripe by accident a couple times is that I will NEVER, give back the lead! I rather lose by breakout than let you back around me.

Cost me sometimes but I can live with those loses.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:03 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

I searched Panovex and found nothing. I did find some convex mirrors for fox body mustangs on ebay tho. I'm also looking into those long rear view mirrors with the multiple angles. Not the best looking things, but it is a fox body after all
Yeh, looking good is not your style... Whatever helps you think you can win...

See you in the pro class. Large hot cocoa to whomever goes the most rounds...
Old 05-30-2012, 06:34 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 302 Likes on 136 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I feel ya, brother, on losing sight of your opponent...I have been looking for replacements for my crummy stock mirrors on my 81 camaro...they look cool but are useless as teats on a bull...

The rule of thumb on the stripe is if you feel you cannot get your nose in front, dump and feed your opponent the stripe...if you are in front, try to tighten up your MOV as much as possible to avoid breaking out...meaning back up into your opponent so you barely nip him at the stripe...

Folks do this a number of ways...whomping, braking, lifting and combinations of all three....a rule I learned many years ago is never lift off the throttle when applying the brakes...keep it on the floor while mashing the brakes...this way you do not lose momentum if you need to get going again...

Of course, if your opponent breaks or you are on a single, lifting off the gas is just fine...btw, the best bracket racers in the country give back the stripe by .00X every now and then while attempting to tighten it up....
Old 05-30-2012, 04:28 PM
99ZX9R
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
The rule of thumb on the stripe is if you feel you cannot get your nose in front, dump and feed your opponent the stripe...if you are in front, try to tighten up your MOV as much as possible to avoid breaking out...meaning back up into your opponent so you barely nip him at the stripe...

Folks do this a number of ways...whomping, braking, lifting and combinations of all three....a rule I learned many years ago is never lift off the throttle when applying the brakes...keep it on the floor while mashing the brakes...this way you do not lose momentum if you need to get going again...

Of course, if your opponent breaks or you are on a single, lifting off the gas is just fine...btw, the best bracket racers in the country give back the stripe by .00X every now and then while attempting to tighten it up....
I've actually been pretty decent with my top end game. First round last weekend I was able to take advantage of my opponent's crappy light and take .019 stripe riding the brake while at WOT. Of course it's not that hard when the dials are close (.25). I definitely prefer riding the brake as opposed to pedaling. You can be much more precise.

As for the good ones giving up the stripe, I saw a prime example in the Pro Elim finals last week. Two of Atco's best went at it. Left lane was .007 on the tree, Right lane was .033. Right lane won going dead on 6 and taking .0005 stripe! Left lane driver typically holds a bunch. And amazingly, making 8 passes including time shots, his worst light of the day was .016 (footbraking of course).

Originally Posted by Capthuff

I've been hearing that all year.

Get notified of new replies

To 1000 Ways to Lose

Old 05-30-2012, 07:27 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Capthuff

I've been hearing that all year.
Oh it's on between these ^ two, Mustang versus Corvette, Atco Raceway, be there!

Old 05-30-2012, 07:51 PM
99ZX9R
Drifting

Oh it's on between these ^ two, Mustang versus Corvette, Atco Raceway, be there!

............... Marc

.......... Pete

Old 05-30-2012, 07:55 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

............. Pete

.......... Marc
Fixed

Quick Reply: 1000 Ways to Lose