Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

C6 GS Drag Radial Wheel/Tire Combo

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 10:57 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Default C6 GS Drag Radial Wheel/Tire Combo

It seems that "conventional wisdom" (Forum style ) says you can't get a C6 GS into the 9's on NT05R 345/30/19 Drag Radials mounted on GS OEM 19" X 12" rims. Is this possible on a consistent basis?

If not, what is the "preferred" wheel and tire combo that will simply bolt on the GS without spacers, hammering the brake calipers, etc. and hook consistently at HP levels required to run in the 9's? I have seen a number of combos that appear to need "massaging" to rear components...I want to keep the hammer in the toolbox.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:10 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGMAC
It seems that "conventional wisdom" (Forum style ) says you can't get a C6 GS into the 9's on NT05R 345/30/19 Drag Radials mounted on GS OEM 19" X 12" rims. Is this possible on a consistent basis?

If not, what is the "preferred" wheel and tire combo that will simply bolt on the GS without spacers, hammering the brake calipers, etc. and hook consistently at HP levels required to run in the 9's? I have seen a number of combos that appear to need "massaging" to rear components...I want to keep the hammer in the toolbox.

Thanks in advance.
I'm running that combo on my 11 GS. I don't have enough power to go 9's. My car should run mid to upper 10's at a decent track. But that has been my problem. My last outing at a 1/4 mile track had NO prep whatsoever and it was 96 degrees with heavy humidity. Best I got there was 11.30's at 128 mph. I had been really looking forward to run that track that day because every time I had run there before the track was great. I had run at my local 1/8th mile a week before and had a 7.09 @ 103 mph. My car really pulls on the top end and most everyone that runs at that 1/8 mile track will tell you that whatever you run there would be .2 tenths quicker at any other track. Well on my 11.30's at Zmax my 1/8th et was 7.65. So Zmax track was much worse even further than just the first 60'. My best 60' on my Nittos has been a 1.73. When I ran the 1/8th last night I had a lot of trouble spinning, even further down track. My best was a 7.28 @ 100 mph and it spun at least 3 different times. My GS is a A6 so when it spins it upshifts and downshifts uncontrollably at times. Am I being limited by the wear on the tires? I don't know. This is my second season on them, but they seem to have a decent amount of rubber on them. I'm experimenting with different pressures. I just don't know yet. I'm certain I have enough power to go mid 6's 1/8th mile and everyone everyone at the track agrees, its just getting the power to the track I've got to work out. My GS is our daily driver and the car we count on for long trips so I'm not going to alter it in a way that will deter that. Hope this gives you at least some info you can use. Good luck and let us know what you do and how well it works.

Quick Reply: C6 GS Drag Radial Wheel/Tire Combo