Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Going for a half mile race

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 08:27 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Going for a half mile race

Simple question...what kind of speed should I expect to get up to at this type of event. I should be good for around 130mph in the 1/4 mile with my current setup. Would I be seeing 160 or so???

Anything else to be concerned about other than the usual stuff when I do 1/4 mile racing. I haven't had a chance to track my current setup, see signature for details. The C6 is what I'm bringing.

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2014, 02:01 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
Simple question...what kind of speed should I expect to get up to at this type of event. I should be good for around 130mph in the 1/4 mile with my current setup. Would I be seeing 160 or so???

Anything else to be concerned about other than the usual stuff when I do 1/4 mile racing. I haven't had a chance to track my current setup, see signature for details. The C6 is what I'm bringing.

Thanks!

I went 170 in the standing mile with 450 rwhp...as you can see, 5th gear is very long so your acceleration slows way down once you get in 5th and of course the drag is very strong as well at 140+.

Assuming you are at 550 wheel I'd say you'll get to 150 or so.

Be sure and set up a camera to record yourself, I love watching this video and reliving it.

As to special prep, normal things, check fluids, brake pads, tire pressure, etc.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:12 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Assuming you are at 550 wheel I'd say you'll get to 150 or so.
I'm just under 580rwhp (around 575 IIRC) on a Mustang dyno. Dynojet that puts me over 600rwhp.

BTW, did you make that run with no seatbelt on? Warning light was on

What's the wire hanging over the steering wheel?
Old 11-13-2014, 08:36 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

I'm just under 580rwhp (around 575 IIRC) on a Mustang dyno. Dynojet that puts me over 600rwhp.

BTW, did you make that run with no seatbelt on? Warning light was on

What's the wire hanging over the steering wheel?
That's the airbag light, I think you see it pop on at 150 MPH or so, I guess GM figures at that speed there's no point in an airbag!

The cable is my HP Tuners cable that goes to my laptop computer. I scan my runs to monitor how the car is doing, looking for optimal AFR, spark, etc.

They let us bring ride alongs, you can see the setup better in this video.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:37 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

That's the airbag light, I think you see it pop on at 150 MPH or so, I guess GM figures at that speed there's no point in an airbag!

The cable is my HP Tuners cable that goes to my laptop computer. I scan my runs to monitor how the car is doing, looking for optimal AFR, spark, etc.

They let us bring ride alongs, you can see the setup better in this video.

Corvette top speed run w-Mike.MP4 - YouTube
Neat video. So more around over 600rwhp on Dynojet, what speeds am I looking at?
Old 11-13-2014, 09:33 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Neat video. So more around over 600rwhp on Dynojet, what speeds am I looking at?
Member Leavinu does these events all the time and if my memory serves, he has a supercharger now? Send him a PM and get him to chime in, he'll know better than me.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:45 AM
youngrigo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im around 600rwhp c5z and average trap around 166 mph in the half mile...
Old 11-13-2014, 06:07 PM
duhveed
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

C6Z 606rwhp and I trapped 168.9 as my best recorded one
Old 11-17-2014, 03:03 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

wow okay I thought 150/155. I guess I'll be going into 5th gear for this event!!!

Any words of wisdom/advice? I've done more than my fair share of 1/4mi events but never a runway event? I'm guessing light launching since this won't be prepped like a track.

Best to go with a full tank of gas? I typically brought my cars with 1/4 tank of gas or left to the quarter mile events. I'm assuming more gas being burnt better to go with more fuel?

Any other suggestions? High PSI or low PSI on tires?
Old 11-17-2014, 05:19 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

wow okay I thought 150/155. I guess I'll be going into 5th gear for this event!!!

Any words of wisdom/advice? I've done more than my fair share of 1/4mi events but never a runway event? I'm guessing light launching since this won't be prepped like a track.

Best to go with a full tank of gas? I typically brought my cars with 1/4 tank of gas or left to the quarter mile events. I'm assuming more gas being burnt better to go with more fuel?

Any other suggestions? High PSI or low PSI on tires?
Launch matters a lot, ½ mile is not that much longer than ¼ so you want to climb that acceleration ladder as quickly as you can. And, lighter is always better, you're fighting mass when accelerating so you want your car as light as possible, skinnies up front and taking the passenger seat out of a vette gives me 1.5 tenths and a couple of miles an hour, weight really matters.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:26 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Launch matters a lot, ½ mile is not that much longer than ¼ so you want to climb that acceleration ladder as quickly as you can. And, lighter is always better, you're fighting mass when accelerating so you want your car as light as possible, skinnies up front and taking the passenger seat out of a vette gives me 1.5 tenths and a couple of miles an hour, weight really matters.
I'm not going that crazy (e.g. ripping a seat out and whatnot). I was going to drive it just the way I drive it out in the street.

What PSI should I put the tires at?
Old 11-28-2014, 09:44 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Even though I believe it is very important to get a good launch, this is why I chose to not use my drag radials when I was doing the mile event. They don't have a speed rating and this is the second time I have seen this, the other time was at a mile event at 200 mph (I knew I wouldn't go that fast but in a mile event you go really fast for a pretty long time).

Old 12-04-2014, 09:25 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

holy crap! Yea I'll be running street tires on that day no questions asked...

Get notified of new replies

To Going for a half mile race

Quick Reply: Going for a half mile race